No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019

Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to, er me, sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
December 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
June 2016
July 2016
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016
November 2016
December 2016
January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017
October 2017
November 2017
December 2017
January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018
July 2018
August 2018
September 2018
October 2018
November 2018
December 2018
January 2019
February 2019
March 2019
April 2019
May 2019
June 2019
July 2019

Comments

• sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in again.

My PP list for August is:

A. Florence Super Serum 10ml
    Bumble and Bumble Scalp Detox 150ml
    Eve Lom Gel Balm Cleanser 30ml
    Garden Of Wisdom Azelaic Acid 10% Serum 30ml
    Lush Sunrise 100g
    The Body Shop Almond Milk & Honey Cream Scrub 250ml

I'm going to try and use all of these items up this month, hopefully.

I do need to get a few essentials in the next few days, so I'll have some INs in the next few days.
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 September 2019 at 12:15AM
    Thanks for a new thread sstevo!

I'm in again for August, PP list:

[STRIKE]L'occitane verbena shower gel[/STRIKE]
    Soaper duper passion fruit shower gel
    Aveda shampure body wash
    Aesop a rose by any other name body wash
    [STRIKE]Ren rose body lotion[/STRIKE]
    Aveda shampure shampoo
    Aveda shampure conditioner
    [STRIKE]Living proof healthy hair shampoo[/STRIKE]
    Living proof healthy hair conditioner
    Elemis apricot toner
    [STRIKE]Algenist gentle rejuvenate cleanser[/STRIKE]
    Trilogy eye cream
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 13/53 UU, 11 IN
  • Thanks for the august tread sstevo.

After a loads used but few things finished July I'm hoping august will benefit from the into the inroads made in July.

My targets are humble
    One lipstick and one eye shadow.

I want to give a way foundation that is too dark. Better to use it up by someone else
  • xcarlyx
    xcarlyx Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I've been on a personal journey since January 2019 and used up 25 products so far, however I have been buying occasional little products along the way.

Today's IN: Avon Skin So Soft Spray - I've brought this for my first ever holiday abroad as I heard it helps with insects, can anyone else recommend this? Also, do you use it before or after suncream?

Many Thanks,
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I must thank sstevo19 for keeping this going I really appreciate this thread for keeping me accountable!

Aims this month:
    More outs than ins! - really want to commit to this, I actually don't need anything!
    Keep applying that suncream
    See if I can go another month without nail polish remover... I UU mine last month and never bought more and have lived without it perfectly fine... maybe I don't need it, it tends to chip off and then I pick the rest off and it comes really easily as I use a basecoat anyway.
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Thanks for the new thread, I'm in yet again!
    ally.
  • sstevo19
    One UU today:

Nivea Ultimate Protect Deodorant 50ml WDBA and will do in the future. Long lasting deodorant.

And a few INs today:

Nivea Pure Invisible Deodorant 50ml
    Colgate Plax Cool Mint Mouthwash 500ml
    Oral B Satin Tape 25m
    Sensodyne Repair & Protect Whitening Toothpaste 75ml

A few essentials, I'm trying to finish up what I have before I buy more. I only need to buy moisturiser probably towards the end of the month.
  • sstevo19
    Two UUs from last night:

Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm 20g WPNBA. This was nice but the essential oils in it were slightly irritated my skin. I can see why people love this though.

Hada Labo Goku-Jyun Hyaluronic Acid Sheet Masks (4 Pack) WDBA if I was going to repurchase sheet masks. These are lovely and hydrating, I'm not going to repurchase as I'm trying to cut down on how many single use products I have.
  • London_baby
    London_baby Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Basic items as the first UUs:

Colgate Intense Max spearmint toothpaste: WNBA, too much foam for my liking!

Oral B satin floss dental tape: HG

Hope to use up more products during my business trips. I may also buy a few Dead Sea products from Jordan whilst away.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Couldn't sleep last night due to heat and tidied some drawers. 3 things are going to charity today:
    Avon Glycerine Hand Cream - horrible hand cream.. Boufht from Oxfam anyway.
    NailsInc Paint Can in Porchester Square - took the base coat out but this one unused and in a box, probably better for them than me keeping it at home. Bought this a while back to try but never got around to it.
    Aromatherapy Associates Body Gel - sticky, meaningless product. Can't beat a cream. Not even refreshing. It was from a beauty box.
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport