PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• nessie216
    nessie216 Posts: 839 Forumite
    Options
    nessie216 - I have one guinea & one rabbit (who live together) & I had no idea that they could eat things like grapes! Would this also be ok for the rabbit as I know rabbits shouldn't have lettuce & guineas can.

I have heard of bad things about guineas & rabbits living together, and i personally do not agree with it (just like letting a dog & cat live in cage together!) but i won't go into that

I don't believe in giving rabbits or guineas lettuce as it is a duretic (sp?) & has a mild sedative in it! (i believe romain lettuce is the best if you do give it to them - but NEVER iceburg lettuce)

The only thing i would NOT feed both of them is tomatoes - i think they are poisionous to rabbits!

Fruit should be given only occasionally - hence why i give them my leftovers so to speak

Out of curiousity - how are you feeding them dry food? As guineas need additional vitamin C as they cannot produce it themselves, unlike rabbits!

Sorry if sounds mean - don't mean to - i just think alot of my animals & would hate for anyone to have problems because they didn't know the risks!

Spring greens, spinach, kale, celery (cut into 1cm pieces), pepper, parsley, corriander, carrots (especially the tops!) (and small amounts of bananas/apples/grapes/pears etc. occassionally) are in my opinion the best foods to feed both guineas & rabbits - Oh and of course letting them be the lawnmower & weed remover!

HTH
  • hannah:-)_2
    hannah:-)_2 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    After being very good and not spending all week, have had to go shopping to get some fresh veg. Got the lunch box stuff for next week while I was in there too to avoid the need to go back in and risk temptation. So am now at 94.75/100.

It's feeling very tight, but only 10 more days to go as I'm on holiday for the last week of the month so have planned a smaller budget than usual to take into account the fact I'm only shopping for a shorter month iyswim :)
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek:
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £36.12 at Mr T's last night, now added to my signature. There were lots of reductions in fruit & veg and the fridges but almost none worth buying! It was mainly reduced from "stupidly overpriced" down to "quite exensive" so I didn't bother except for a nice loaf of bread for 69p and some mushrooms which still had 3 days before the BBD.

That included some extra baking ingredients because I need to make cake for 80 people to take next weekend and also £2.50 for some BBQ tongs which actually work, unlike our current ones :o Must remember to get rid of the old ones, they really are rubbish!

Strawberries are finally down below £2 a punnet so I got some of those, hope they're nice.

Stork is up to £1.90 for 1kg yesterday, it was £1.50 last I noticed.
    Sultanas up to 99p for a 500g bag (Value), from 64p :eek:
    Value butter is also up in the last week to £1.10 (was 98p)

On the other hand eggs and noodles have both gone down so all is not lost!

By the way - I didn't notice at the time but Value SR flour is now 79p although plain is 52p! Maybe I should buy baking powder or whatever it is that makes the difference...
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon peeps :wave:

i`ve updated my siggy again now that i`ve pried the missing receipt from DH`s mitts :D

I shall be updating again after this weekends spends but hopefully only a small spend as we have quite a lot in and i`ve been eating virtually nil :p

I`m feeling a lot better today - thanks Sistercas :D I`ve had a lot of headaches due to being dehydrated i think but the fluids are now starting to stay in my tum so i`m hoping to be 100% or near enough soon.

I shall have some scrambled eggs in a while - my appetite is still none existent but i need to eat now so i shall force them down as they`re nice and light. I`m a bit out of touch with the offers atm but did see some kind soul mention the PG tips were on offer at the co-op so i shall maybe venture along tomorrow for a nosy. I like to stock up on decent teabags when i get the chance as we use so many.

Think that i shall have a scout around the offers section of MrM`s site now.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dibblersan you did very well i wouldn't feel bad about over spending because you will save in the longrun, i was thrilled so see they've extended our reducded fresh stuff into another cabinet however it was wasted on me because i have no freezer space night now anyway.

i've had soem mega spends today
    £12 to the nursey £8 of wich comes out of my gc
    £5 in poundland
    17p to get DS3 a banana because he was screaming blue murder
    £19.15 in te$co this included a half price pork shoulder joint that will be 2 roasts and 2 casaroles and 4 blocks of cheese on offer neither of which will be used til next month but i'll take them out of this month anyway
    £1.50 in iceland on ornage juice
    90p on milk

so i'm adding £34.72 to my sig

i also spent £7 in the post office aswell, altho this was for stuff, and £6 on pants for DS3 from mothercare cause there the only place that does them small enough :( so today has cost me a small fortune :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    nessie216 wrote: »
    I have heard of bad things about guineas & rabbits living together, and i personally do not agree with it (just like letting a dog & cat live in cage together!) but i won't go into that

Out of curiousity - how are you feeding them dry food? As guineas need additional vitamin C as they cannot produce it themselves, unlike rabbits!

HTH

Hi Nessie216 - I was a little worried initially about putting them together but they get on just great - the rabbit is always licking the guinea clean and they always sit together even though they have quite a big cage & run. I buy dry food for rabbits & also dry food for guineas but I do put it all mixed in in one bowl. Do you think that is ok? Re your comment about guineas not being able to produce vit c - surely no animal can "produce" it? It's just that guineas can not retain it in their bodies as long as rabbits - hence why they need it much more regularly.

Just updated sig with a little spend today in the co op on reduced cobs & cakes but may also have to pop out again ina bit as I have realised that we don't have any carrots to go with our shepherds pie tonight.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Afternoon everyone. Just got back from doing the weekly shop have updated my signature by £50.57. Have a good weekend.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've spent £35 this week- this is in part to having a lot in the freezer- I think it will be a different story once I start having to replenish my stocks sadly:D
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just on to update my sig. Managed to fill the freezer with RTC meat at 40p each so looking good for this month.I also stocked up on the mini red wines @ £2.49 each once the till takes off 25% and 4 for £5 they're 63p a bottle.So got 32 which is actually 8 bottles full size. Working this weekend but it looks like the weather is going to be pretty appalling so no loss there.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • clearandfree
    clearandfree Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Sorry have not updated for a while. So far I have spent £100.07. Will update soon.
    Best wishes.
    The credit card is finally cleared
    Just got loan to pay off now
    balance £2221.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business