PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• gien
    gien Posts: 1,649
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did my first shop of the month which came to 51.26 euros, and I shouldn't need to get anything else for a while. I meal planned before going shoppinh so was quite restrained.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whoops! It was that one - I got the name mixed up!

Your organised envelope method sounds great and I'll be trying that to keep me on track for the rest of May with my £27 left :D

oh i thought it was the spicy bean and lentil loaf
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • miss_t_2
    miss_t_2 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hi Everyone.

Am a long time lurker of this challenge I have finally plucked up the courage to join properly. Could I please be put down for £120? This will be for all food and household items for 2 adults and a house full of animals!

Thanks.
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Well took the boys into town and spent £2 on 2 x multiple pack crisps in the pound shop and £10 in farm foods on 3 bags of chicken.

Good job I have to stop in for a delivery tomorrow as hoping for a NSD. Boys both back at school so that will help too.

Did buy a White board in the £ shop, it has a magnetic back, so going to use it to keep tabes on freezer stuff.

HM pizza for tea tomorrow and on weds a pasta bake thing off sainsburys family value.

must plan and shop from cupboards more.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    ... The beauty of cash, is that - unlike a debit card - it's impossible not to notice how much/little money you have left if your purse each time you pay for something. It's also impossible to overspend, because if the cash isn't there, you can't spend it.

Also, by splitting your monthly cash into weekly envelopes in particular prevents the whole not-having-any-money-left-at-the-end-of-the-month scenario too.

I started the envelope system in September last year, and with the exception of Nov/Dec when I blew my budget because of Xm*s, I'm convinced using cash is what keeps me in line.

With having to save for Xm*s & giving money to my 2nd purse out of my GC Budget, I'm also spending £35 per month less feeding the four of us than I was a year ago (it's hard work mind) - so I'm very pleased with that :T

.....is one allowed to applaud oneself? :rotfl: ...

Absolutely allowed Hippeechiq, ;) and I'll join you! :T
    ... i also must start the BM up again as i have 3 bags of bread flour and yeast etc, but somehow my bread always ends up heavy... any ideas? ...

Seductivesmile I'm not sure if it will help at all, and quintwins suggestion of hotter water may help, but OH has just in the last week decided to use the BM to make rolls. So he lets the BM do the work of making the dough then bakes in the oven. The first lot he made were tasty but also quite dense. I looked up rolls in the first page index and saw that for many recipes there is a 'knock back and knead again' method. So yesterday we did that and the rolls were much much lighter.

Not sure I explained that properly. :doh: The BM makes the dough then get it out, thump it a few times, knead it for a good few minutes, then divide into rolls (or put in bread tin if baking a loaf), cover with damp cloth and leave for a further proving of about half an hour. Then bake in the oven. They are scrummy and much lighter! :drool:

Nowt else to report, been doing an indoors spring clean today as the garden is pretty much sorted for the moment.

Welcome the newbies and returners joining us. Great to see you and good luck with your challenges. :hello:

By the way, I'm really enjoying the discussion on how tight budgets were managed by us or our parents in earlier times. Wonderful insights there, thank you. :A

OK, I'm off now. Back in to work tomorrow so I'll see you all in the evening.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    seductive smile/spiggle - I too have had problems with dense dough but I have cracked it by kneading for longer and leaving it to rise for longer. I use the Kenwood to make it because the BM stuff was awful - solid and yeasty. I will make a batch before bed tonight which will rise overnight, and then I will knock it back down and give it a few minutes kneading in the morning, then into rolls and left to rise for an hour or so before baking them. I also wrap them in a damp towel when they come out which helps.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2011 at 6:54PM
    jackieO /hippeechiq i like the envelope system, i think i will adopt it , my problem is i have a fear that i wont have enough money when i get to the till . how do you overcome that ?

DH went to the local shops as i had visitors and needed a couple of things , he spent £18 of my £50 weekly budget :eek: on hardly anything , the prices in the local shops are :eek:

edited to say hippeechiq :T:T on your budget x
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2011 at 7:07PM
    :beer: Well done WelshWoofer.

Another NSD for me today :T

The other thing I am introducing to my menu plans is vegetarian meals. I am trying for 2-3 a week at the moment but I will try and get a week or 2 where up to 4 meals are veggie.

I also have a bank account where only the grocery money goes in so I can see exactly how much I am spending and how much is left.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Sort of had a NSD today - didn't go to any shops but did spend £3.90 on icecreams at the park but was also expecting to have to pay for parking but that was actually free today so not too bad all
    in all.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Missus_Aka
    Missus_Aka Posts: 285
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CAN I BE PUT IN FOR £95 PLEASE?

This month will be for me, ds, little sis (7) 2days per week, and my other sis (21) who will be with me for a week

Got side tracked last month and didnt keep total....dont think i did too bad though. Will try better this month.
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills