What is there to do and see in and about Glasgow?

Jo4
Jo4 Posts: 6,819
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
We are going to Glasgow and are wondering what there is to see and do especially on a Sunday? BTW we will have a car so we can travel. Is there any where we should definitely go or any where we should try to stay away from? Any good places for eating at a reasonable price and any where to get a nice meal as we will be celebrating our wedding anniversary when we are over?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Comments

• Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    what kind of things do you like to do...museums?....shops?....scenery?

a trip to loch lomond would be nice if you want to see some scottish scenery...its not far.
    x x x
  • Jo4
    Forumite
    dogrose wrote:
    what kind of things do you like to do...museums?....shops?....scenery?

a trip to loch lomond would be nice if you want to see some scottish scenery...its not far.

Almost anything! We do not like going out at night when there is just the two of us and we are away from home, ie discos. Hubby loves driving and we love having a good nosey a round where we go!

BTW THANKS for your response as I thought there must be nothing to do in Glasgow as no one had responded!!
  • WestieFan
    WestieFan Posts: 391 Forumite
    There are loads of things to do, just depends on what you like. There are brilliant shopping centres, Buchanan Galleries, Princes Square to name two of the better ones. Braehead shopping centre is only 10 minutes away from the city centre too.

The Art Galleries are closed just now but the transport museum across the road is a good day out, with all kinds of transportation from penny farthings to gipsy caravans and model ships to the old trams that used to be part of the transport system in Glasgow. There is also a model of an old cobbled street with old fashioned shops and a small cinema you can go into to watch a short film of life in Glasgow years ago.

There is also the Burrell Collection (not sure if open on a Sunday tho), the Gallery of Modern Art and a few Charles Rennie Macintosh places. There is the People's Palace (a great day out with loads of stuff from Glasgow's history from fashions to air raid shelters. The Football Museum at Hampden Park. And also the Provand's Lordship which is the oldest house in Glasgow and well worth a visit.

As somebody else said, a drive to Loch Lomond is nice, or a trip to the Falkirk Wheel (needs to be seen to be believed!).

Or even just a drive along the Clydeside at night to see the bridges and the trees all lit up is quite a sight.

Hope this gives you some ideas, but I am sure somebody will be along with even more ideas!

Enjoy your stay.

ps can't help with meal as I never go out to eat.
  • scruffy96uk
    scruffy96uk Posts: 2,925 Forumite
    Hi
    If you like shopping and like a bargain you should try having a look at this thread!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=62600&highlight=matalan

It's just pot luck what you get and it depends what you call a bargain.
    I was down last week and everything was 75% off, I got 3 pairs of jeans (all named) a cardigan,belt and a top for £15

Antipasti is a good place to eat there is one on Sauchiehall Street and one out Byers Road, just for a slap up meal not your romantic one!!

Good luck and enjoy your stay:p

Scruffy9uk
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion
    Ellie 25/12/07
  • fuzzyrazer
    fuzzyrazer Posts: 1,463
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Here you go,this will show you what's on and when.....hope this helps and hope you have a nice time here in Glasgow,but bring a brolly....lol....well it is summer....:T

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/WhatsOn/index.htm
    :T It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. :T

:D "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." :D
  • Jo4
    Forumite
    THANKS for all the responses and for the map. Now I must organise my time so I can see and do as much as possible but of course I will definitely make time for some retail therapy!
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    glasgow is the shopping capital of scotland...
    x x x
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    La tasca in Renfield street is a great restaurant if you like tapas!!!

X Anne
  • Hoopylass
    Hoopylass Posts: 910
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    have a look at https://www.5pm.co.uk. You can get some good discounts on restaurants there!
    I hope you enjoy your visit!
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    i grew up in glasgow and go up every year and a few years ago we did the bus tour, how ashamed was i when i hadnt a clue about so much culture in our lovely city, so if you get time do the bus tour as you can get on and off as many times during the day and it stops at most of the main places to see... as for having a car forget it you can end up going round and round and round etc in circles and the traffic lights you will spend more time in your car than you will actually visiting anywere..

http://www.s1play.com was giving this site a while ago so mabey of some help.

the art galleries and musuems re open on the 11th july after a 3 year shutdown for refurbishment.. will defo be worth a visit..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport