PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have decided to set my budget at £90/wk this month so a total budget of £360 from yesterday until 21st Feb as I will have 4 Fridays in that period.

HelenJelly - No need to add me to the front page I will keep track in my signature. I just like to post it then my budget has been recorded and have a target to achieve.

Spent £16 in Mr S on chicken soup and lucozade for poorly DH and some quorn, rinse aid and a few bits I can't get at Ald1 including some biscuits for the joiner who fitted shelves in 2 big cupboards for me today so I can store all my baking and cooking equipment and food stores:D £1.62 also spent on teas at work.

These spends have come out of the £90 I took out in cash yesterday. I have put this is in a seperate purse and am hoping this method will help me stick to the budget.

Most of the fruit and veg I bought last week is still sat there as DH has tonsilitus so hasn't been eating and I can't be bothered to cook for myself so have been eating stuff from the freezer.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,
    Result yesterday, 2 FR chickens from Ald1 for £2.50 each, what a treat!:j Nice too, no nasty skin burns on legs etc. meal plan now rejigged, roast chicken last night, curry tonight, still plenty in the firdge for another meal and carcasses in the SC for more stock. Also made beef stock from the huge amount of free bones from the farm shop, strained it thro an old napkin and boiled it down to about 1/2 a pint of really really concentrated viscous liquid. Ideal for adding to all sorts of things. Whole house smells of it!

To the OP (can't recall who) who said in Jan (I think) that they freeze portions of chopped onion, celery, carrot etc for base for cooking - had to laugh as M%S have exactly that now in their freezer section :rotfl: about £2.50 a kilo which I have to say is not cheap. this is from me who does buy chopped onions at about £1.50 a kilo cos it saves so much time and fuss.

Just over the £500 mark with not much left to buy till the 29th. Not running on fumes really, and pretty well stocked with many things, so far so good. Oddly the cats don't like the Amaz0n Sheb@ (exact same variety they usually eat) which is tricky as I bought 32 packs.:eek: I am not happy about the fact that the Ald1 chickens worked out far cheaper/100g than the Sheb@.:eek: Maybe we should feed the cats real meat rather than cat food? How weird to pay more for it than real chicken, when it's so gross.

I agree with those who say that doing a big 'monthly' shop in the first week of a month blows the budget. It's that feeling of release from the shackles of the end-of-month situation, I think. I will try the idea of taking out the week's money in cash in a purse, I now have a separate one tho as it's also black I can never find it in my bag, which goes down a storm at Ald1 as they're rushing me thro! Talking of which, haven't trieed it yet but the other bargain there was Macon Villages at £4.99, can be £7.50+ so if it's nice, will stock up a bit. One of my faves. Have stuck to the '2 dry days a week' thing so far this year though, pathetically proud of that!

Had an interview today and should get some freelance work out of it, no guarantee of hours but a good chance, and a good hourly rate at least. Things may be looking up!:D

Gnight all
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Ideally I'd like to stock up on whole chickens as love the amount of meals you can get off one - but they take up sooooo much room in the freezer :( so will have to wait and see once the re-jig has happened.

If I can get them on the 4 for £12 offer that would last me a good couple of months :) and would help balance the books a bit!

Just a thought, could you cook them, carve, strip and freeze? Mind you, probs make quite a bit of stock. But would be able to freeze in bags which might fit better (i put mine in bags in containers then remove from container whn frozen)
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,
    Result yesterday, 2 FR chickens from Ald1 for £2.50 each, what a treat!:j Nice too, no nasty skin burns on legs etc.

I think I'm just being naive here as I really don't buy meat that often, but what do you mean by skin burns on legs? I first assumed it was something to do with how they were reared, but then realised they are FR, so I'm completely confused! :o

Now down to 4 bread rolls in the freezer... (I made 8)... I had mine for lunch, but then mum and dad both broke their diets tonight with a cheese and onion roll each... I had two out on the side for me for the next couple of days and they haven't got any bread in due to this stupid no carb diet, so of course I gave them my rolls. So took one from freezer to defrost to have with my Sweet Pepper and Tomato Soup for lunch tomorrow, leaving the 4. Feel slightly cheated after all that kneading! I SOOOOOOO want a bread maker! :D

True NSD for me today which was nice :)

Night all

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had to spend on shopping today - £6.92 so I have altered my sig.
    For dinner we had cheese and onion pastie with roast potatoes/carrot/onion/ swede.

6924243585_f1e81efe22.jpg

I have three days left of my month to achieve my target NSD.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/253
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £45.77/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • Florenceem wrote: »
    The photos is of my dinner - Mr F doesn't have to wait but he does.

I also really enjoy the dinner photos :) Your plate always looks so lovely and with loads of veg:A
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Had to spend on shopping today - £6.92 so I have altered my sig.
    For dinner we had cheese and onion pastie with roast potatoes/carrot/onion/ swede.

6924243585_f1e81efe22.jpg

I have three days left of my month to achieve my target NSD.

Looks lovely as usual! May I ask... I've noticed you quite often have onion in with your veg medley, which had never occured to me before... how do you cook it when you do it like this? Is it all boiled together or some other method?

Thanks

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dinner tonight was GF sausages with herby gravy, served with what should dhave been potatoes, carrots and butternut squash with honey and thyme roasted in the micro ( my micro has convenction and grill and combi as well). I went to put the roasting tin in and it was too big, the door kept popping open. So I had to put it on the hob and do them that way. Took an age but they tasted ok. Empty plates all round anyway :) we had pineapple chunks for pudding.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Good morning all, haven`t been on for a while, but have kept a note of my shopping spends. Updated siggy and so far spent £230.25, for this month, but will have to update with the butchers bill a few days into march. i`ve been trying to run the cupboards and freezer down, just to use up the old stuff, still a few bits to use up, so will only need to get fruit, veg, bread and milk, I hope.

Well done everyone.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • Mr M have just launched a new range called M Savers where everything is under £1; here is the link if you would like to have a little peek!

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Our-food-ranges/msavers/weare1pound
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family