PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• 4weeladdies
    4weeladdies Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    A whopping £3.15 spent in T's today on a bag of potatoes (to make corned beef pie I think, mmmmmm), 8 bananas (reduced down to 34p & absolutely perfect!!!), hot dog buns and milk :D Had 3 of the boys with me again, their school is a polling station so they're off today, and managed to say "no" to everything they asked for again! Is there a phone app that will just repeat the word no every 3 seconds? If so I'll gladly download it - it's all I ever seem to say to them. Well, that and "Stop skiting down the aisle of your knees" or "For heavens sake, just leave each other alone". Boys, who'd have 'em? :rotfl:

Got stuffed peppers in the oven just now for my lunch, using a value pack of vegetable savoury rice and the green peppers that nobody else seems to want to eat ;) The lads have had leftover tuna sandwiches that MIL kindly pilfered from the Beetle Drive at the bowling club last night :p Tea will be hotdogs in buns with fried onions, mustard & ketchup, om nom nom nom
    Feeding 2 adults and 5 piglets aged 7 months, 7, 8, 10 & 13. Thank heaven for Aldi!:rotfl:

January 2013 grocery challenge £169.44/£360
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    cat_smith wrote: »
    Packet sauce mixes - Not very MS :rotfl:Have you got basics of chili/paprika/herbs etc? I tend to make up large batches and store. Also started my own fajita mix.

Sent DH off today with the couscous salad. Veg stock to cook. Dumped in spring onions, red/green pepper, cucumber, sun dried tomoatos, grilled aubergines, artichoke hearts. Lots of herbs, pepper and lemon juice.

Had all the esoteric stuff already. Won't be buying it again since I went GC, but it needs using :)

What did you send DH off with today?

morning,

yes i have those things. is that what you would use? just a stock with some herbs, etc? the reason i have packet mixes is because i got given a whole box of them by a friend whose mother passed away. there were atleast 30 in a mix of varieties - cheese, casserole, bbq chicken, curry, etc. so i am ploughing my way through them.:money:
    OH took cheese sandwiches and hm sausage rolls with him today, but yesterday he had lo chicken casserole and was happy with that.:D

it is my LO 6th bday party on sunday so i am making batches of twinks, gingerbread, crispie cakes, fairy cakes, jelly, sandwiches, sausage rolls, cocktail sausages, cheese and pineapple and veg sticks tomorrow. all of which the ingredients i have in the house so no need to go to the shop (except for crisps). the extra batches can go in the freezer for us.
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    can you make twinks in a tray bake?
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    wow 13pages already!!!!!!!!!!!! please put me down for £!50 again this month thank you!!!

right now to catch up
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A major freezer stock up done yesterday so another $41.62 to add to the total.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to the co-op on the way home. I spent 13p on the one onion I needed. I walked straight past the RTCs :cool:

I can do this, I can, I can, I can :j
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    did jacket pots for dinner

made 2nd batch of donut style muffins last night but will need to do some more as there are only 5 left.

tea will be cheesey squash bread pudding thing with new pots kids can have veggie sausage rolls with new pots if they dont want the 'thing';)

been sainsburys ths morning for a few bits
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    nessie216 wrote: »
    Sort of given up with challenge atm

Will still add up receipts at end of month - but i have got a little more flexibility after my pay rise & i am trying to concentrate on my weight loss first

I still look for bargains & watch my money - but i will get back into the swing of things after my next pay day (20th May)

Where does everyone go to bulk buy tinned food & pasta etc. (i see that dibblersan uses Mr T) but i want to know where i can get proper bulk buying discount/savings!

I actually don't normally, but I don't want to go silly over budget. I tend to use approved food for my tins. I place an order for about £100 or so but don't want to do that for a while.

Tesco pasta was just too good to resist at 9p but there's no way I could have bought it with no car :(
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Did my main weekly shop today for £39.07 between Ald* and Mr.T
    which I was pleased with as had allowed £40. Have now added receipts for other odd bits during last week and have £124.22 left for 2 more shops:rotfl:I think I may come in on or slightly under budget for the very first time. - Heres hoping!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options

yes i have those things. is that what you would use? just a stock with some herbs, etc?

Definitely not criticising packet mixes (used to live on them as a student but received large schwarz spice rack with everything for a house warming present:T) but for a sausage casserole I use 2 onions, 8 sausages, brown. Little flour. 1 1/2 dstspns paprika, 1/3 of chilli. Tin of tomatoes, 2 carrots. Oxo stock cube and enough water to cover. Salt/Pepper. Simmer 1 hr add mushrooms in last 10 mins.

Bit more hassle, but I like cooking. As with most casserole type things, its actually better the 2nd day
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport