PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Milly-Ann-Molly
    Options
    Woohoo awesome day here ...although today was meant to be an NSD I needed a few bits and drove to Mr T...Usually I spend an embarrassingly huge £120+ per week...I had stock checked the house before hand inspired by this thread and only spent £18.40 on this weeks shopping :T Thanks for the thread :beer:
    Make £/day March: £1490.85 / £310
    Quidco £3,143.16 NSD Mar:14
    2024 Road Kill £1
    March Sales of Excess £240.85
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Well, as it turns out if you order 44 bags of pasta they deliver 44 bags of pasta.

Was aiming to get some stock in this week as moved into a new flat with empty cupboards and only a limited amount with me.

22kg (should last me easily a year) of pasta for £3.90 odd - I've only got a small flat so I stockpile things in 42L plastic boxes under my bed and currently it's 2 full.

Tesco order included
    44 bags of pasta (40 under bed)
    6 litre of uht milk (3 months worth but used for emergancies).
    480 tea bags (3 months worth ish depending on how stressy work is)
    12 litre of mixed apple and orange juice (3 to 6 months worth, or 1 month if I'm sick:()
    3 litre of oil (best part of a year again)
    2 bags oats (highly variable from a baking week to 6 months)
    4 boxes lasagne sheets (one or two months)
    6kg wash powder (6 months to a year)
    and
    30ish eggs (a month or 2 depending on baking)

all but 1 pack of each under the bed

4 lamb breasts (4 months)
    4 packs butter (variable, only used for baking)
    4 packs sausage (2 months)
    4 loaf bread (one month to 4)
    and
    1.5kg gammon joint now cut into 3 pieces (2 or 3 months)

All but one of each in freezer.

With other stuff (yog/shampoo and the like for immidiate use) total was £69.73 but that includes £3 for delivery and they didn't take my £5 voutcher off so I need to email them.

I've got 2 bags of oranges and apples in, and with the remainder I should have plenty to buy veg at the market on Sat and should leave me in a good stead to slash my budget next month as planned.
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone - updated my total again with this week's spends, mainly on Fruit, veg and needed a load of Toiletries including Contact Lens Solution - seem to have run out of everything all at once.:mad: This has made a big dent in my total but determined to make it this Month after going over in April.

Dinner last night was Cottage Pie using DR Mince, that only leaves 1 pack in the Freezer but want to run some other stuff down before I place another order.

Dinner tonight will be HM Macaroni cheese with a big bowl of Salad - got some Salad leaves ready to pick in the Garden, radishes ready so will only need to add shop bought Cucumber and tomatoes.;)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning all, i was hopeing to go shopping tonight but i can't acually afford it :o i was waiting for some money to clear and it still hasn't so i had to transfer money out of my savings to cover my rent, however were not gonna starve cause we have loads in and i'll just improvise for tomorrows picnic (altho it's suppose to rain so we might not get anywhere anyway)

lunch for the kids is potatoe cakes and spagetti using the leftover mash and spagetti in the fridge, and i'm gonna have baby new taties fryed with onion and bacn to use up the last on the baby taties, tea is cheese and brocolli pasta

i also seem to be running a taxi service for my brothers :mad: it's not like i could say no i won't bring you to school for your exam and aparently staying in town for 3hrs is un-acceptable even tho i had to do it at his age, so i ahve a 20mile round trip to do today :mad: wouldn't mind but i've already put £120 of desil in my car in less than 2 weeks (no wonder i'm skint), most of it was used helping my mum move house :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    Similar problems with mine who also doesn't like sandwiches. Yesterday we had a beef and lentil salad (river cottage everyday) and today a tin of mixed beans (Lidl- 34pish) with some on offer feta and a balsamic dressing.

Day 4 - and three NSDs :j OH is having chilli and I have made a huge batch so I can freeze some. The only onion had gone a bit mouldy but rather than got ot the co-op I have used lots of floppy spring onions. Hope it is ok or I have wasted a kilo of steak mince. I also managed to use up some floppy mushrooms and peppers rather than feed them to the hens.

This morning we had pancakes for breakfast which made a nice change, and then when we got home we made the cereal bars out of River Cottage to go in lunch boxes this week. Very few seeds or nuts so I subbed some nasty muesli and the dregs of a pack of coconut. Made bread for the boys lunches tomorrow too.

Tomorrow I am going to print a picture of the holiday villa and stick it up in the kitchen. Might keep me focussed on why we are doing this.

The egg, cauli, potato curry sounds lovely - one for Friday when my veg box comes. It would be good to use up some of the egg mountain too.

some good ideas. thank you.:)
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    cat_smith wrote: »
    cutiepieabf your Sausage, leek and apple pie went down a treat tonight. Topped it with cheesy mash instead of pastry. Used Pork and Apple sausages from DR and a homemade wholegrain mustard. Numnumnum.

YAY!!! :j we are having this next week on the meal plan. this week's sausage dish is sausage casserole using one of those packet sauce mixes. mmmmm
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    YAY!!! :j we are having this next week on the meal plan. this week's sausage dish is sausage casserole using one of those packet sauce mixes. mmmmm

Packet sauce mixes - Not very MS :rotfl:Have you got basics of chili/paprika/herbs etc? I tend to make up large batches and store. Also started my own fajita mix.

Sent DH off today with the couscous salad. Veg stock to cook. Dumped in spring onions, red/green pepper, cucumber, sun dried tomoatos, grilled aubergines, artichoke hearts. Lots of herbs, pepper and lemon juice.

Had all the esoteric stuff already. Won't be buying it again since I went GC, but it needs using :)

What did you send DH off with today?
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh no i love the packet mix homemades just not as nice imo i think we might have some tomorrow
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Have eventually sat down and worked out what I have spent this week.

As I ran the stocks well done in April, I knew I had alot of items to purchase.
    1....MR T'S ...£72.96 would have been over £82 as alot of fruit reduced.

2...MR T'S...£20.31..would have been £29, eggs, leeks,carrots reduced.

3....MR T'S:o....22.89...would have been £38.54,meat,mince reduced.

4...SAINSBUGS...29.61...POPPODUMS down by 50p,included bottle wine

So grand total this week £145.77...should have been £179.15 before reduced.

This is a major shop as I stocked up on PASTA, SAUCES, STOCK CUBES BUTTER, MARGARINE FOR BAKING, FLOUR.

Will not be in a shop before next tuesday if possible and then for milk etc.

I got an absolutely beautiful roast (vac pack from Deli counter at Mr T's) reduced from £30 to £14. Yesterday I had 8 for dinner and with the beef had reduced carrots, brocolli, potatoes and gravy. Made buns with the recipe on the side of the Tesco Value flour pack. Beautiful! Cut tops of them filled with double cream and raspberries from the freezer(reduced).
    Have same meal tonight and still will have enough meat to put in freezer for another meal. So all in all I have spent alot but I am happy with my purchases. Got beautiful leeks for 9p each so am intending today or tomorrow to make Leek and potato soup ... freeze in single portions as I can have this for lunch during the day.
    So I have a budget of £400 and I intend to stick to it. Need to go to Lidl next week as I buy the Muesli £1.89 packet..stocked up when reduced to £1.36 but I buy 10 at a time and will need to budget that in next week.

Have left over mashed potatoes so am going to have potato cakes for lunch. Thank you to member who mentioned that a few posts back.
    Got to get of my B*m and do something.

Take care all and thanks to all who post
    God bless:A
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • nessie216
    nessie216 Posts: 839 Forumite
    Options
    Sort of given up with challenge atm

Will still add up receipts at end of month - but i have got a little more flexibility after my pay rise & i am trying to concentrate on my weight loss first

I still look for bargains & watch my money - but i will get back into the swing of things after my next pay day (20th May)

Where does everyone go to bulk buy tinned food & pasta etc. (i see that dibblersan uses Mr T) but i want to know where i can get proper bulk buying discount/savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure