Dla new form question 13

I've tried searching to see if anyone else has had the same brain fade, but looks like it might just be me....so:

On question 13 it asks for a list of disabilities. I have FMS, and so have put this, but that doesnt exactly get across all the problems connected with it (the brain fog, the dizzy spells, the joint pain etc)

I haven't been diagnosed with anything else because its all just been jumbled up with fms, so is this all i put and hope the decision maker has some idea about what fms is?

I started filling in the old form, but then got too depressed seeing just how rubbish i am (writing it down makes it all seem more real.) and this new form seems even more confusing.

Also i've had fms for 6 years, but have continually tried to deny to myself that i'm getting worse. I am, so have decided i may as well try applying...do i put 6 years questions 34 and 54?

Its hurting my brain already and i've only just started!

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hmm, why not write your diagnosis on the actual page and then add a list of the relevant symptoms and send that in too?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You stand a much better chance of getting benefits if you have help filling in the form.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    You stand a much better chance of getting benefits if you have help filling in the form.

People often says this on these messageboards, but has there actually been any factual research to back this up?

I'm not suggesting it is not the case, I just wonder how they know every time I read this.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The forms are deliberatly designed to trip you up asking the same question 3 times in different ways, i appreciate that some people have difficulty filling in forms and need help jus as i have difficulty swimming(floating even), i always photocopy all dla and dss forms for reference
  • nichart20
    nichart20 Posts: 957 Forumite
    you can add extra information at the back so you could put everything there and when you put down how you need help you can add it there as why your needing the help, I have just finished my renewal it is a headache of a form
  • kaya wrote: »
    The forms are deliberatly designed to trip you up asking the same question 3 times in different ways, i appreciate that some people have difficulty filling in forms and need help jus as i have difficulty swimming(floating even), i always photocopy all dla and dss forms for reference

Look on the back of the next renewal/new claim form you fill in. You'll notice that there is a crystal mark. This is an award from the campaign for plain english. This is what they look for:
    • a good average sentence length (about 15 to 20 words)
    • plenty of 'active' verbs (instead of 'passive' ones)
    • everyday English
    • words like 'we' and 'you' instead of 'the insured', 'the applicant', 'the society' and so on;
    • conciseness
    • clear, helpful headings with consistent and suitable ways of making them stand out from the text;
    • a good typesize and clear typeface
    • plenty of answer space and a logical flow (on forms).
    Do you really think that they would award a document that is "deliberatly designed to trip you up"?
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/holdersgovernment.htm
    If you do your research you'll see that the DWP has a platinum award.
    The new claim pack was made in partnership with a number of disability groups. It was designed to be easier to fill in than the old one. Currently the supersession claim pack is under the same redesign process.
  • justmel
    justmel Posts: 264 Forumite
    I would just put the FMS on this question,as you go through the form you see that there are a lot of questions that help you desribe all of the effects your condition has.

Also there is a page at the end to add anything that you don't feel has been covered in the form.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe you could explain the need in english to ask the same question phrased differently more than once then?, or maybe im referring to the old form?
    Just checked the link, The organisation you are referring to has awarded the CSA a gold Mark!!!!, and we all know how clear there communicaion is
  • People often says this on these messageboards, but has there actually been any factual research to back this up?

I'm not suggesting it is not the case, I just wonder how they know every time I read this.

I don't know of any factual research, but I do help people fill these forms in and all of them say at some point that they would never have thought of putting some of the info down that comes up in the course of filling in the form. This is because people naturally focus on what they can do, not what they can't do, and if they have got used to taking ages to do something or to it being painful they just take it for granted and wouldn't think to put it on the form.

That's why it can work better if there is an outside person to ask questions like "how exactly do you get into / out of bed". That gets an answer which describes how they do the activity and what the problems are, which is what the decision maker needs.

Sometimes - but by no means always - it can be quite difficult for a family member to help fill in the form, e.g. some parents/children may find it hard to discuss continence; or they may assume things are better than they are if the person has been struggling to reassure relatives that they can manage.
  • I had help filling in the forms from the so-called (expert) from the CAB,don't bother,he was worse than useless.
    I could have pulled someone off the street and gotten a better job done of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure