Delayed Swiss Air connection

I flew from Cape Town to Manchester last week, connecting in Zurich. The ticket was a one-way flight issued by Swiss Air with the CPT-ZRH leg on Edelwiess Air (codeshare with Swiss), 45 minute connection in ZRH followed by a Swiss Air flight to MAN.

Unfortunately, the CPT-ZRH leg was delayed by about 30 minutes because of which I missed the connection and was put on the next flight to MAN, 5 hours later. I called Edelweiss and asked the reason for the delay on the first flight and they said they can't see a reason recorded as it was less than 30 minutes late.

I finally arrived at Manchester airport 5 hours past my original arrival time of 0800.

I looked at the MSE guide but couldn't figure out whether this would be eligible for any compensation or not? I couldn't figure out what happens when there's a connection involved. Would be grateful for some advice please.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What was the reason for the 30 min delay? If air traffic, weather etc then no compensation due.
    If not advised then try your flight details in euclaim and bottonline to see if they show compensation due or not
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Alas Swiss Air/Edelwiess Air can to a degree, safely ignore any requests for compensation.
    Switzerland is not part of the EU, although they have adopted some of regulation 261/2004. But only the original part, no subsquent rulings or court judgements in the EU, which includes compensation for delays.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • NJamesN
    NJamesN Posts: 20 Forumite
    Don't know the reason. They said they don't record a reason for delays less than 30 mins.

The EU Claim website says "Your flight departed from a non-European country and was operated by a non-European airline." so not eligible.

When I put the same details in the Bott+Co website, it says "our records show you may be entitled to claim up to €600 per passenger in compensation."

Anyway, I'll put in a claim and see what they say. No harm in trying I guess,
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    What was the reason for the 30 min delay? If air traffic, weather etc then no compensation due. If not advised then try your flight details in euclaim and bottonline to see if they show compensation due or not
  • NJamesN
    edited 13 November 2019 at 6:08PM
    Are you sure? Here's someone who got compensated for a delayed Swiss Air ZRH-LAX flight.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2018/12/27/swiss-eu261-compensation-help/
    JPears wrote: »
    Alas Swiss Air/Edelwiess Air can to a degree, safely ignore any requests for compensation.
    Switzerland is not part of the EU, although they have adopted some of regulation 261/2004. But only the original part, no subsquent rulings or court judgements in the EU, which includes compensation for delays.
  • JPears
    Thats why I said to a degree.
    You can keep badgering Swiss Air, and Edelweiss. They might pay you.
    Acording to the Gahan case, Edelweis are actually responsible as they delayed you, not Swiss Air.
    But the Gahan case was a later ruling, which the Swis authorities and airlines tend to (and can legally) ignore.
    If your flight had ben cancelled compensation would have been due. But the Swiss ignore the Sturgeon case/judgement.
    if it goes to a court, it wil be swis judge that can decide.

• NJamesN
    I called Bott and they are happy to take the case no-win no-fee but with a fee up to 50% (if it has to go to litigation).

I can't really be bothered with following this through so will instruct them. I'm £274-357 better off if it succeeds and no worse off if it fails.

Thanks for all your help!
  • JPears
    Thats great. Keep us updated, we will be interested to see how you and Botts get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family