MOTs Cost Cutting MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion Area

1535455565759»

Comments

• My county (Northampton) doesn't have a "public" MOT Centre and my nearest one (Milton Keynes) discontinued the public MOT service a couple of years ago. Now I'm at the mercy of the local car dealers or workshops.
  • Just had my 2003 car MOTd at Staffs County Council Beacon Business Park depot.

Only had to wait 2 days for appointment.
    Nice waiting room. Friendly staff. Passed with 2 minor advisories.

Paid £35 for the test

Very impressed with the set up.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Not bad, our local council one in North London has been closed for 3 or 4 years as they couldn't afford to keep operating it at a loss.

Camden council run one down in Kings Cross but costs ~£55. They do give a free sachet of screenwash (every little helps!) and will do a free retest within 10 days.

I'm still using main dealer servicing to preserve my extended warranty, so I just had them do the MOT which is allegedly half price (£30) if they do it at the same time as the service. But the rest of the service cost £270 so really they could tell me it was a £260 service and a £40 MOT or whatever and I'm still giving them £300...
  • No mention of motorcycles on here, does anyone know if these places do MOT's for motorcycles?
    I have tried ring my local one on the list but always engaged.

All1
  • I have used Regal Motors across from B&Q for years. It doesn't matter whether it is an MOT or repairs, I take it in and leave it with them knowing that only what needs to be repaired will be repaired and the mechanics will go through what was done.

There aren't many garages you could confidently drop off you car and know no un-necessary EXTRAS are going to be added.

I had a car once that was going to cost a fortune for a new exhaust pipe. I was told it could not be repaired by a famous well-known quick fitters.

Took it into Regal and a piece was welded, saving me a fortune (it might have been my merc). Give them a try for an honest estimate.

Regal MOT, Barrow in Furness
    24-28 Lawson Street
    Barrow-in-Furness
    Cumbria
    LA14 2NU
  • geoffhead
    geoffhead Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2016 at 11:17AM
    Bradford Met., Dist., Council Test Centre, Shearbridge Road, Bradford Tel., 01274 433585 Charge full M.O.T. rate
    Have not used them??
    I use The Pakistani Test Centre behind Mumtaz Restaurant, Gt. Horton Road Bradford, entry from Horton Grange Road.

CHARGES wait for it £15.00 (includes retest fee) Has got to be the cheapest in the Country.

I used last year, failed on Hand break and Head light alignment cost me £65 and my car is an 02 Rover75 Try 01274 578053
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Found out today that the usual garage I have used for servicing and MOTs for the last 10 years has gone out of business. Shame as they were very honest and I never felt I was being ripped off for anything that didn't need doing. Car needs an MOT, so have decided to use a Council Depot MOT testing station following the tips from this Forum.
    Using the one run by Torfaen Borough Council in Pontypool.
    Booking on-line was straight forward and booked in for tomorrow. So will see how I get on and report back
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ... Car needs an MOT, so have decided to use a Council Depot MOT testing station following the tips from this Forum.
    Using the one run by Torfaen Borough Council in Pontypool.
    Booking on-line was straight forward and booked in for tomorrow. So will see how I get on and report back

Well, that was a good experience; arrived early and tester took car in straight away to do the test. Receptionist even offered mugs of tea or coffee. :beer:
    Could see test being done on CCTV screen. Test completed and all OK. Tester even commented on good condition of car. Will certainly use again and recommend to friends & family. :money:
  • i used to work in Wakefield West Yorshire & the place to go is NEWON BAR council bin wagon main depo
    in there is the MOT Station
    I worked for the council for 18 years myself
    and never knew i could use my own council garage for myCars MOT
    as i run my classic cars as my hobbies i always went to indpendenet garage ???
    then one of the guys said call at newton bar for your MOT
    the best visit i ever made still go every year and now im into my 25th year of MOT WITH COUNCIL GARAGE BRILLIANT PLACES you feel as if your not waiting for that OHHHHH this is going to be expensive
    check your car before you book and feel the stress lift as it passes with out effort
    if it dose fail then it will be just what it needs and not how much they can SCAM YOU FOR so what you waiting for go COUNCIL and keep your local service going serving local people
    good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport