Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Nov 19, 2:01 PM
    • 19,536Posts
    • 12,215Thanks
    motorguy
    300 item bought, needs to go back, seller dragging heels...
    • 8th Nov 19, 2:01 PM
    300 item bought, needs to go back, seller dragging heels... 8th Nov 19 at 2:01 PM
    Ok. Bought a seat for a car off a breaker in Glasgow via ebay. Seat was advertised as for a 2014 Focus ST, which is what i needed it for. Agreed price was 220 for the seat, 80 postage (pallet shipping)

Seat arrives and it transpires its from s 2017 Fiesta ST and wont fit my car. They look the same, but the fittings are different for the airbags, etc.

I raised a return request and the Ebay automated system told me to print out a Royal Mail label and send it back (clearly not happening).

I contacted Ebay and they said they would ask the seller to have the item picked up by their courier, and the case they opened was put on hold until the 8th Nov, to allow time for the seller to do this.

The seller has accepted the seat is not for my car and accepted they are in the wrong. They have reluctantly agreed to send a courier for it. The cheapest courier i can find is 120, and their courier is doing it for 80 or so. They did say they'd refund me the postage if i paid for it, but being cynical i suspect i would struggle to get that.

They told me pickup was to be this morning. I facilitated that by re-arranging a medical appointment to another time and arranging for my FIL to be available this morning as i had to nip out. Thus i am somewhat irked that the courier didnt show.

My gut feeling is the seller is dragging their heels to avoid accepting the return, or at least to ensure they dont have to pay for the return.

I will be able to contact ebay after today (it being the 8th) to escalate.

So, when i contact ebay -

* how do i ensure that i am not out the 120 or so cost that it is going to take to return this seat?
    * how do i ensure that i get my 300 back?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by motorguy; 08-11-2019 at 2:13 PM.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    • 62,848 Posts
    • 45,244 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    Phone eBay, tell them seller has failed to collect as agreed and that you want a refund. eBay should force a refund for you at that point.

Then email the seller again, state item is available for collection at your convenience and that a fixed date (and feasible collection time slot) will be needed. Give them a set time to make arrangements, say 2 weeks, and state that after that time should they be unable to collect you will consider the matter closed and dispose of the seat.

I'd actually keep the seat a bit longer, but definitely give them a time frame to concentrate their mind!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 12,215 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 8th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    Phone eBay, tell them seller has failed to collect as agreed and that you want a refund. eBay should force a refund for you at that point.

Then email the seller again, state item is available for collection at your convenience and that a fixed date (and feasible collection time slot) will be needed. Give them a set time to make arrangements, say 2 weeks, and state that after that time should they be unable to collect you will consider the matter closed and dispose of the seat.

I'd actually keep the seat a bit longer, but definitely give them a time frame to concentrate their mind!
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks for responding so promptly!

I've managed to get speaking to the seller (i rang from a withheld number!) and they say the courier is picking it up "some time today". Which is fine, provided they show up.

He was a bit arsey on the phone as its cost them a serious amount of money, but i kept it pleasant and said i fully appreciated it was a disaster all round and that if i could have used the seat i would have - and reminded them it was wrongly listed as a Focus seat by them.

We parted the call on good terms, so hopefully the courier IS on their way, and they will refund me as promised.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • leviathan
    • By leviathan 8th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    leviathan
    • 8th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    I've had ebay decisions go agasint me with sellers but if you phone them up you will get the chance to speak to a person and put the case forward. I've had those computer decisions over turned.
    With returns I would never pay for teh postage. Always print the label and if it's too big contact ebay for them to step in before the time is up.

ie: specifically was about sending goods back when seller address was China but sold from UK. Ebay has now changed their rules on this so the seller claiming to be in the UK must provide a UK address for a return.
    Post that I had a UK seller giving me a Czech address which a phone call sorted out in my favour.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Nov 19, 6:21 PM
    • 13,774 Posts
    • 9,486 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Nov 19, 6:21 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 6:21 PM
    Thanks for responding so promptly!

I've managed to get speaking to the seller (i rang from a withheld number!) and they say the courier is picking it up "some time today". Which is fine, provided they show up.

He was a bit arsey on the phone as its cost them a serious amount of money, but i kept it pleasant and said i fully appreciated it was a disaster all round and that if i could have used the seat i would have - and reminded them it was wrongly listed as a Focus seat by them.

We parted the call on good terms, so hopefully the courier IS on their way, and they will refund me as promised.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Did you phone ebay. Regardless on what terms you were with the seller, you need to get your money back and you have a tiny window to do it. Escalate it to ebay BY PHONE and explain exactly as soolin detailed. Do not muddy waters with reference to your call to the seller. Remember that most ebay staff read from the script and will be ticking boxes. They need to tick the right ones to get you your refund.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Nov 19, 6:28 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 12,215 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 8th Nov 19, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 6:28 PM
    Did you phone ebay. Regardless on what terms you were with the seller, you need to get your money back and you have a tiny window to do it. Escalate it to ebay BY PHONE and explain exactly as soolin detailed. Do not muddy waters with reference to your call to the seller. Remember that most ebay staff read from the script and will be ticking boxes. They need to tick the right ones to get you your refund.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Thanks.

The status now is the seller has had the item picked up - however there is no tracking number associated with this. Just that the item has been picked up by a courier.

What should my next steps be?

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Nov 19, 12:52 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 12,215 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 11th Nov 19, 12:52 PM
    • 11th Nov 19, 12:52 PM
    Just for completeness - the seller has refunded in full today.

Well pleased with the outcome - always jumpy about significant purchases like that.

Thanks for the help and guidance

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,476Users online

Martin's Twitter