Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kippaxman
    • By kippaxman 7th Nov 19, 9:16 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kippaxman
    3000 LG OLED TV faulty
    • 7th Nov 19, 9:16 AM
    3000 LG OLED TV faulty 7th Nov 19 at 9:16 AM
    I bought a LG OLED TV from Amazon 1/10/2018. I registered it with LG for Warranty purposes. The TV has developed a fault 1 month out of warranty so LG have advised me to talk to Amazon. I've done this but the sale was through a 3rd party who no longer trades so I went back to LG and explained the TV has not lasted for a reasonable amount of time given the cost of the TV. They have offered me 50% discount on a 1100 repair bill. I have escalated this to the next level at LG and am currently waiting for their reply. What rights do I have please and would I benefit looking down a small claims court route to have the TV repaired or replaced?
Page 2
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 7th Nov 19, 4:04 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    visidigi
    Now says amazon.co.uk with the reference if its a direct sale and AMZNMktplace if its a marketplace seller.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 7th Nov 19, 4:06 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    visidigi
    That's why people (including myself) buy TV's from JL or RS, 5 or 6 year warranty included.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    You (and I) will be in the same position as the OP if JL or RS go bust like his seller though...
    • kippaxman
    • By kippaxman 7th Nov 19, 6:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kippaxman
    You (and I) will be in the same position as the OP if JL or RS go bust like his seller though...
    Originally posted by visidigi
    Hindsight is a wonderful gift but even though i understand the onus is on the retailer I still think its shabby of LG (and other manufacturers) not to have any involvement or responsibility with consumer rights if the product doesn't last for a reasonable amount of time, they have made it after all, the shops or internet only sell the goods.
    • born again
    • By born again 7th Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    born again
    even though i understand the onus is on the retailer I still think its shabby of LG (and other manufacturers) not to have any involvement or responsibility with consumer rights
    Originally posted by kippaxman
    Yep the regulations are wrong in many ways. Set them to 6 months with the retailer and after that the onus is on the manufacture.
    Might actually see them provide warranties that work.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Nov 19, 9:17 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Yep the regulations are wrong in many ways. Set them to 6 months with the retailer and after that the onus is on the manufacture.
    Might actually see them provide warranties that work.
    Originally posted by born again
    Or more likely, If they haven't done so already, it will see them setting up different companies such as LG UK ltd, who only deal with after sales problems and LG Korea who are the manufacturing company.
    Then if there is a problem after 6 months, the consumer will have to seek legal redress from a company in Korea.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    Inner Zone

Very likely, not.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Nov 19, 6:23 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    the fact that LG cannot be held accountable for a defective product after 13 months use. This has been an expensive lesson
    There are a number decent outlets that supply Tv's with a 5 year warranty. What possibly could have possessed you to buy one from Amazon (of all places) for 3000 with a rubbish 1 year warranty?

Sorry but you have nobody to blame but yourself!
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Nov 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    But JL & RS aren't man in a shed type operators like the OP used under the banner of Amazon Marketplace.
    • kippaxman
    • By kippaxman 8th Nov 19, 6:53 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kippaxman
    Hi Mr Singleton
    You really do know how to kick a man when hes down. Over the past 4 years I have replaced x2 16 yr old LG TVs with two of the same brand which have served me so well.
    I am not a rich person even though the luxury TV I bought was 3k. I have been waiting and saving for 3 years to purchase one of these TVs. I suppose I was a but eager when I come across a brand new one for 700 cheaper than JL & jumped blindly into the deal.
    Anyway now I have paid my price and learned a very valuable lesson in life.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Nov 19, 7:09 PM
    • 7,122 Posts
    • 8,355 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Hi Mr Singleton
    You really do know how to kick a man when hes down. Over the past 4 years I have replaced x2 16 yr old LG TVs with two of the same brand which have served me so well.
    I am not a rich person even though the luxury TV I bought was 3k. I have been waiting and saving for 3 years to purchase one of these TVs. I suppose I was a but eager when I come across a brand new one for 700 cheaper than JL & jumped blindly into the deal.
    Anyway now I have paid my price and learned a very valuable lesson in life.
    Actually you will be no worse off as the repair will cost you less than 700 unless it goes faulty again, so just take the offer of a discounted repair.
    • kippaxman
    • By kippaxman 9th Nov 19, 8:09 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kippaxman
    Thx for your post
    Quick update for everyone. An LG team leader phoned me yesterday evening and was quite sympathetic to my plight. He said he would talk to his manager on Monday and see if they could offer some more towards the repair. Obviously I’ve asked for a free repair as a gesture of goodwill but negotiations are going the right way.
    You don’t ask you don’t get !!
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 9th Nov 19, 9:21 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    700 cheaper? Must have been a refurbished, im sure jl or rs wouldn't make that much profit on a 3k set.
    • kippaxman
    • By kippaxman 9th Nov 19, 9:27 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kippaxman
    700 cheaper? Must have been a refurbished, im sure jl or rs wouldn't make that much profit on a 3k set.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Was brand new in the box, refurbed models online were going for 2000 but i steered clear of them.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Nov 19, 9:45 AM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    But JL & RS aren't man in a shed type operators like the OP used under the banner of Amazon Marketplace.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Neither were Comet, Woolworths, Debenhams or Mothercare, yet they are all closed or in administration.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 12,325 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Neither were Comet, Woolworths, Debenhams or Mothercare, yet they are all closed or in administration.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Nor C and A, Thomas Cook, BHS, plus both M & S and Sainsburys are forced into doing some restructuring
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Nov 19, 8:09 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Your point is caller?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Nov 19, 8:56 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Your point is caller?
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    I would have thought that my point was obvious.
    If not, it's simply that nowadays, buying from established high street businesses doesn't guarantee that extended guarantees or after sales service will be any better than or last any longer than buying from "man in a shed" type operators.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 11th Nov 19, 8:20 AM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    buying from established high street businesses doesn't guarantee that extended guarantees or after sales service will be any better than or last any longer than buying from "man in a shed" type operators.
    Fine you carry on buying from man in a shed and I'll carry on buying from John Lewis and good luck with that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,529Users online

Martin's Twitter