Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 6,259Posts
    • 43,445Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    Nov 2019 - part 1 - 66,153 part 2 - 42,004
    Total - 108,157 96 months to go!
Page 264
    • Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 30th Oct 19, 1:03 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    Hi Cath would you mind sending me your spreadsheet if I PM you my email address? X
    Originally posted by asparklyblonde
    id be interested in this too, never quite got to grips with doing my own
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 30th Oct 19, 2:49 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 10,627 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Having worked in education for a while, a special measures school isn't a bad one to go for, as so much support is being given to it and focus is massively on it, I'd go for a special measures one over outstanding any day.
    DFW (08/08) 64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) 77,157.05
    • CathT
    • By CathT 30th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi ASB and Brodiebobs. Yes of course, just message me your email. It's one Lois kindly made for me many years ago.

Am hoping the school that was special measures will continue on the up now debtfree. You can tell there has been a lot of investment and now there seems to be great leadership fingers crossed it will continue to do well.

A pigeon crashed into our window earlier and hours later hadn't left the garden so we popped to the vets. It was checked over and she advised it might be dazed and to leave it in the garden again. I keep checking hoping it's gone but was still there last time I checked. We've also been put for a lovely walk in the woods. Puppy excitable when passing other dogs but mostly brilliant and only one scary off lead moment.

Dh has done a necessary food shop spending 12.97. Somehow I have managed to curb my awful sugar chasing food cycle and am off the biscuit and crisps.

Back to work tomorrow and have really enjoyed just being at home. I think 3 working days would be my perfect balance....maybe one day.
    • RishidMjembe
    • By RishidMjembe 30th Oct 19, 4:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RishidMjembe
    I wish I had your motivation!
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 30th Oct 19, 5:21 PM
    • 9,498 Posts
    • 73,004 Thanks
    apple muncher
    That's a fantastic reduction in one month! Well done all of you!
    NST YESvember #1; NSD 10/15; Ex 5/21; remove bagfuls 1(46)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 30th Oct 19, 11:47 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 47,645 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi Cath, could I be cheeky and ask for a copy too please? I will send my email

Great overpayments this month
    MFW 21

73,885.09 left -target 10k/ 7,110.95 in 2019
    • CathT
    • By CathT 31st Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Yes of course, just send over your emails. I can't take credit for it but it meets all our needs.

Managed to sell an item on fb yesterday for 30 they had our sink fixed. A part had corroded and they couldn't be bought separately so a whole pack was needed. 40 spent there. I'm still going to invest/overpay that 30 as I find it really frustrating when money gets swallowed up or frittered. Also had a quote off someone else for a roof repair (around 230) but hoping the person who fixed the sink can repair it cheaper.

One savings account has matured so 47 interest and the plan is to move that over to premium bonds later.

Dog walked this morning as Dh is here. My mornings would be so different if he worked normal hours but then the end of my working day would be much more stressful having to collect the children and cook etc. I guess we can't have it all.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 31st Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Evening all, just realised I forgot to send the 30 overpayment so will send tomorrow to kickstart our November efforts. However, I have sent a 64p overpayment today Updated signature as on the laptop and have worked out our monthly figures.

Additional mortgage overpayments 535.35 (Knocked 5 months off this month)

Supermarket spends 209.51
    Fuel spends 154.01

This means we were over 130 under budget so I look forward to finding this in the account next payday

Have also transferred the childrens savings into a premium bonds account. I've topped the amount up to 1300 for them and will keep topping it up each month
    • CathT
    • By CathT 1st Nov 19, 6:15 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Just popping in quickly....

30 overpayment from fb sale so we are into the 41's on the mortgage. Hopefully won't be too long until we are in the 30's.

44.23 food shop including 2 bottles of wine so hopefully be able to enjoy a glass with a film later. No great plans this weekend and it's forecast to rain. Dd has a football match if she is well enough but other than that I'm hoping the children will do their Christmas lists as I'm clueless this year and need their inspiration!

November spends

Supermarket 44.23
    Fuel
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Nov 19, 9:51 AM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Didn't bother with wine in the end, just didn't fancy it and wasn't going to drink it just because it was there. Struggled with my blood sugars all day yesterday (I run a bit low) and it felt low all day so didn't fancy having alcohol upset it.

Dd has gone off to football so hoping she still feels well when she comes home. She's been coughing a bit but is a pretty tough cookie and didn't want to let her team down.

Floors brushed and mopped whilst Dh took dog for his morning walk. I think this is the weekend we need to start letting him out through the utility room as it's getting too cold and wet for it to be from the family room.

1.50 requested from tcb and overpaid this morning and apart from football subs should be a nsd. I still have my clothes to return to Mr S but can't face doing that on a Saturday!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 2nd Nov 19, 10:33 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    5 months is amazing I can't wait to get my ccs down so I can make inroads into the mortgage again,
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    Re mortgage August 19 110470, HSBC 3500cc, Hfx 6700, NW 5750 M&S 1200, car 5500.
    CC 17150 , it's coming down
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Nov 19, 8:42 AM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    It will happen once your renovations settle down. We used to have a scary amount on 0% cards from home improvements. I wasn't keen on overpaying the smaller mortgage as was so desperate to reduce the months on the larger one but I've really found my enthusiasm for it. It definitely helps that around 100 overpayment knocks a month off!

53p Tilly tidy, we do have 3.80 in tcb but I have a feeling they are holding that back for the 5 membership. Also need to check if b*g@s tracks properly as missing out on 100 if it doesn't.

35 points on youg0v yesterday and I'm not getting many surveys at the moment. Don't think I'll bother again after the next payout.

Christmas lists written yesterday, dd has put some unrealistic items (Mac book, latest I-phone etc) but most of it is do-able. Im also hoping some of it can come from the Mr S double up in a couple of weeks.

No great plans today, probably a family walk after lunch and a roast dinner later. The weather is surprisingly fine and dry here so making the most of it. Hoping to finish my book today so clearly a fairly relaxing day is planned!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Nov 19, 8:29 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Well that was a Sunday well spent.

Took clothes back to Mr S and did a quick top up shop. Also had a quick look at what we might be able to get off the childrens' Christmas lists on the double up offer. It's not looking like a lot so will try and spend wisely.

Had a lovely family walk in the area surrounding our local NT property. Ground a bit soggy in places but the puppy didn't seem to mind!

Finished my book and read several chapters of my new one. Uniforms and some work clothes ironed to give us a head start on the week. Roast dinner made by Dh and enjoyed by us all. I'm really hoping this has set us up for a relaxing week (once we get all the extra curricular activities out of the way at the beginning of the week).

November spends

Supermarket 56.84
    Fuel
    • CathT
    • By CathT 5th Nov 19, 6:38 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Quick update from me.....

2.80 in tcb this morning so requested and overpaid it. I've just gone to overpay a 12p Tilly tidy and the money transfer to mortgage accounts has gone! I'm with FD and no idea where it's gone as I've checked on the main website and the app. Hopefully it's just a glitch as it's a bit annoying.

Just watched a lovely firework display for free from the bedroom window. Puppy has been pretty good with them and mostly not bothered which is a relief.

Small top up shop today of 9.12 and 30 on fuel. Spends a little high for this stage of the month so hopefully balance it out over the next few days.

November spends

Supermarket 65.96
    Fuel 30
    • CathT
    • By CathT 6th Nov 19, 9:31 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Still can't overpay the mortgage, however the efforts continue and 52p transferred. I'll keep a note and ring up at the end of the week to make an overpayment. Not as much fun or as motivating but end result is the same.

Have had another quote for roof repair rather than replacement of the damaged pieces, it's 60 with a provisional date booked up so fingers crossed.

4.20 on a school event for ds but otherwise it's been a no spend day
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Nov 19, 6:54 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    The overpayments are set up again so transferred all my pending tilly tidies and spreadsheet updated, also saves me a phonecall to them.

15.32 on food shopping, also stocked up on dog food as had a 6 off 40 at Mr S. We have one for the next few weeks so will definitely use them to our advantage. Such a shame the wine isn't a similar price to @ldi

November spends

Supermarket 81.28
    Fuel 30
    • CathT
    • By CathT 8th Nov 19, 6:23 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Mini food shop for wine plus a few essentials - 12.52 spent so not too bad. 7.99 spent on a new dog bed, puppy is currently sitting in his old one!

89p Tilly tidy today and am hoping we can knock near enough another month off with Tilly tidies.

Definitely turned colder after all that dreadful rain yesterday and we have sleet forecast for tomorrow. Typical as I may have to make an appearance and take dd to football!

This weekend I really must start my Christmas shopping. I've been saying this for the last few weekends now but I'm serious this time!

November spends

Supermarket 93.80
    Fuel 30
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Nov 19, 8:21 AM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    This weekend is about organisation partly helped by some snowfall yesterday which meant we didn't venture far. I have cleared the breakfast bar again as it just attracts 'stuff' mainly ipads/post/school letters and stuff that generally doesn't have a home! I've also moved some other things round and cleared the windowsill as I'm mindful that some of the Christmas decorations need to be placed slightly higher up this year. I have quite a few hand crafted items I don't fancy being in reach of the puppy!

Another top up shop and I popped to the local garage for fresh eggs (2 for a dozen is a bargain and they are delicious). Today should be a no spend day so time will tell. Budgets looking good as we enter the single
    Figure countdown to payday.

Also made a note of Christmas presents to buy and although a few items on their list are totally overpriced and unnecessary I am going to get them. This is mainly because I am not getting dd an I-phone 11 or MacBook she has requested!! Ds has put a drone and an electric scooter so since they're not having the silly requests I'll get as much of the reasonable ones as I can. So some research done to maximise savings and will get Cashback where I can.

Dd is 11 now so she is having an old phone of ours and we've organised a pay monthly sim. I've held off as long as I can as I can't believe they have phones so young these days but my general understanding is once
    They're in high school they seem to 'need' one.

We had sorted out some
    Of ds lego and gave that to his younger cousin yesterday who was over the moon. Was just nice to see it go to a good home.

91p Tilly tidy this morning to set us up for the day.

November spends

Supermarket 108.22
    Fuel 30
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Nov 19, 8:43 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 43,445 Thanks
    CathT
    Managing to do some online Christmas shopping today means it's been productive but spendy. However I've now got the realistic 'must haves' off their lists. Have a rough idea of what to get in the nectar double up and am feeling slightly less stressed. So glad I set money aside though, much easier to spend when it's already been mentally spent!

Have enjoyed two lovely dog walks, caught up on jobs at home and enjoyed a roast dinner. Feeling relaxed entering the Monday-Friday madness now!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 11th Nov 19, 6:58 AM
    • 6,972 Posts
    • 45,657 Thanks
    Pooky
    Make sure you set some ground rules for the phone from the start. Eg. All phones to be left in the kitchen at night to be charged. Regular checks on apps/messages to make sure everything is as it should be. (This is not about invading their privacy but about keeping them safe).

We had an issue with a boy asking DD2 to send photos, once we'd seen the messages DH phoned the boys Dad who was really shocked and promised to look into it, it happened again a few months later, same boy, so we phoned the Dad again and said next time we get the school and police involved and the Dad confiscated the phone. It's only because we did checks that we saw the messages, DD2 was worried they're be trouble but we needed to show her that as parents we had her back in this and we'd sort it. (She was 12).

It's really scary what goes on once they're in secondary school now and they grow up so fast.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,564Users online

Martin's Twitter