Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 26th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 11Thanks
    SCUD
    To Amex...or not to Amex!
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    To Amex...or not to Amex! 26th Sep 19 at 1:27 PM
    Hi all...

My wife is trying to convince me to get a British Airways Amex credit card so we earn Avios points then use them to get discounted flights or some other stuff using the Avios points.

We currently use Debenhmas' Master Card in our daily shopping and bills. Every 3 months we get 10-20 in vouchers to spend in Debenhams. We do use these vouchers, but mainly because they will expire, so we either get stuff the vouchers cover or something that exceeds the vouchers value and we pay a fiver or a tenner above it. like the other day I got a pair of jeans for a 5+the vouchers.

As for Avios points I am not sure how easy for us to earn them using the not much loved online and in stores card... Amex.

The only way to go around the Amex rejection by retailers is to pay via PayPal. But not everyone accepts PayPal and it is not available in stores.

Can someone share their experience with Amex? in regard of getting around the problem of not being accepted everywhere, and also how useful the Avios points they earned were?

Any advice is appeciated
Page 4
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 6th Nov 19, 9:20 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    oscarward
    I have a BA amex card, I've just transferred a load of hotel points in so have a healthy avios balance.

I'm trying to book flights to Vancouver next October , I can get an avios reward flight which virtually wipe out the balance or I can use them to get a 480 discount or use them to upgrade. Decisions decisions.

I really wanted to go to Calgary but it appears BA stopped flying direct at the end of september again like last year.
    • Ngozi
    • By Ngozi 6th Nov 19, 1:34 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Ngozi
    I have a BA amex card, I've just transferred a load of hotel points in so have a healthy avios balance.

I'm trying to book flights to Vancouver next October , I can get an avios reward flight which virtually wipe out the balance or I can use them to get a 480 discount or use them to upgrade. Decisions decisions.

I really wanted to go to Calgary but it appears BA stopped flying direct at the end of september again like last year.
    Originally posted by oscarward
    I'd wait until next year before booking anything, might get a better deal in Jan.
    BA do fly direct to Calgary according to their site, 25th of Sept and direct flights are available.
    And if doing Vancouver, definately be cheaper to just book a domestic flight yourself.

More often than not, using your points to upgrade is better value as can't be redeemed against the tax of the flight.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Nov 19, 9:35 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 9,226 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I have the free blue BA AMEX card and use it in major supermarkets....

I have my Tesco Clubcard linked to my Avios account too, which means every 3-5 months (when Tesco get their backsides in gear), I get points from that too. Using your AMEX and Clubcard in Tesco, you are essentially getting double BA Avios points.
    Originally posted by thecraftyleek
    I would suggest opening a Tesco current account and getting a Tesco Debit Card. Using it for shopping in Tesco will get you one extra Clubcard Point worth an 2.4 Avios, instead of the 1 Avios you get on your BA Blue Amex. So you can get 4.8 Avios/ instead of the 3.4 you get currently with BA Amex and Clubcard.

If you buy fuel at Tesco, you will get 2 CCPs / instead of 0.5. BA Blue Amex plus a clubcard at Tesco filling stations gets you 2.2 Avios / . A Tesco Debit Card gets you 4.8 Avios / .

There is no minimum funding requirement for a Tesco Current Account, and no need for any Direct Debits (these are only requirements if you want interest). Just fund the account as needed to pay for your shopping.

So unless you are trying to hit a target for a 241 voucher, the answer in Tesco is not to Amex.
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 1:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    Long time lurker. Wonder if someone can help me?

I have had a Gold Amex for the past two years. I am a fairly high level spender (around 100k pa) and am wondering if it is the best card for me?

My goal is to save the points for the next 20 years and then use them to go on a world cruise. Is the standard gold the best for me?

If another card is better can my card be changed? Most importantly can all of my accrued points be moved with me?

Thanks,

PJ
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Nov 19, 2:01 PM
    • 6,912 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Long time lurker. Wonder if someone can help me?

I have had a Gold Amex for the past two years. I am a fairly high level spender (around 100k pa) and am wondering if it is the best card for me?

My goal is to save the points for the next 20 years and then use them to go on a world cruise. Is the standard gold the best for me?

If another card is better can my card be changed? Most importantly can all of my accrued points be moved with me?

Thanks,

PJ
    Originally posted by pjamies
    Define "better card"?
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 2:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    One which would earn a greater amount of points.

I am not sure if one of the "pay" cards would gain points at a better rate. I am not a flyer, purely using it to accrue points for the long haul.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Nov 19, 2:48 PM
    • 6,912 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    These are all the reward cards that AmEx offer:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/all-cards/?filter=mr&intlink=uk-en-hp-ca1-gold-all-rewards-03072019-HeroID_Exp_MYKA_banner_1280x356pxl

The paid ones have a varying degree of point earning, except for the free ones that are one MR point per 1 spent.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 19, 4:12 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I am not sure if one of the "pay" cards would gain points at a better rate. I am not a flyer, purely using it to accrue points for the long haul.

Which 'gold' product do you actually hold? The new gold credit card with the 140 a year fee or the old gold chargecard which also had a fee?

Curious what you spend 100k a year on using this card.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-11-2019 at 4:39 PM.
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 4:24 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    Whicg 'gold' product do you actually hold? The new gold credit card with the 140 a year fee or the old gold chargecard which also had a fee?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I am not sure if I pay a yearly fee or not? Is there a way to know from the card? My statement from 12 months ago doesn't show a fee. I have had the card since February 2017.
    Last edited by pjamies; 08-11-2019 at 4:27 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 19, 4:26 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I am not sure if I pay a yearly fee or not? Is there a way to know from the card? My statement from 12 months ago doesn't show a fee. I have had the card since February 2017.
    You say you have held the card since February 2017 but don't know if you pay a fee?
    Is it a credit card or a charge card or don't you know that either?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-11-2019 at 4:38 PM.
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 4:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    As I said I have checked my statements and there is no fee. So I presume no.

It is a charge card. Does the new gold card with a fee accrue more points?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Nov 19, 4:39 PM
    • 6,912 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    As I said I have checked my statements and there is no fee. So I presume no.

It is a charge card. Does the new gold card with a fee accrue more points?
    Look at the link I posted above and you tell us.

What do you currently earn points-wise?
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    1 a point. From the link I think no, however there are some funky calculations on cards which aren't even on that list on page 1.

Edit - That Starwood card is on the list. That looks like the best one.
    Last edited by pjamies; 08-11-2019 at 4:42 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The gold charge card which is no longer available to new customers and will therefore not appear on the website has always had a fee. All charge cards except the basic card which doesn't offer rewards have fees. The' new' gold credit card, which curiously looks identical to the old gold charge card and is the only Amex credit card that has the charge card 'look' also has a fee. What on earth is a 'funky calculation'?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-11-2019 at 4:50 PM.
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 4:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    What on earth is a 'funky calculation'?
    Originally posted by Ben8282

Amex Starwood Preferred Guest

Spend 1,000 in 3 months for a 33000 SPG points sign up bonus (you)
    Get 3000 SPG points for spending 1000 (3 points per pound spent)

Refer your wife for an Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Card
    9000 SPG points referral bonus (you)

Wife’s Amex SPG Card

Spend 1,000 in 3 months
    33000 SPG points sign up bonus (wife)
    3000 SPG points from spending (wife)

Get wife to refer you for an Amex Preferred Rewards Gold Card
    9000 SPG points referral bonus (wife)

Total SPG points: 90000 (in two separate Marriott Bonvoy accounts belonging to you and your wife)
    Call Marriott (Starwood) to transfer points from one account to the other
    UK Phone number 020 7012 7312

Once your points have been combined with your wife’s, transfer 90000 points to BA Executive Club
    3 SPG points = 1 Avios so 30000
    Plus a 25% bonus – 5000 Avios
    Total of 90000 Marriott points converted to 35000 Avios
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    That from the first page.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The starwood card is a credit card with a 75 annual fee.
    What you have quoted above is from this thread not from the Amex website and reflects the personal opinion of that particular person.
    Do you have a wife to refer?
    And remember the gold credit card that your wife then subsequently has to refer you for has an annual fee of 140.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-11-2019 at 4:59 PM.
    • pjamies
    • By pjamies 8th Nov 19, 4:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pjamies
    Yes I have a wife.

It is not a personal opinion. His numbers check out. I was curious to know if there was anything else.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 19, 5:02 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Assuming that your wife will actually be able to get the card and you don't believe that you will have any difficulty in obtaining a further two Amex cards for yourself and will get a welcome bonus on each card then guess you had better do it if you think that is best.
    Enjoy your world cruise in 20 years time!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Nov 19, 5:58 PM
    • 6,912 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    SPG points are not membership points though.

Have a look again at the points offerings for the cards I posted in the link above and it will tell you what you can earn points wise dependant on the purchase used to make with the card.

Dependant on the purchase you could earn 1, 2 or 3 points per pound spend.
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 8th Nov 19, 6:17 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    oscarward
    BA do fly direct to Calgary according to their site, 25th of Sept and direct flights are available.
    Originally posted by Ngozi
    Yes they are available in September but not October. They use 787 Dreamliners on the route. Presume they will be taken out of service for engine changes in the quiet period. If you try and book for October it routes via Dallas and premium economy is not available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,389Users online

Martin's Twitter