Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammy_jam_jam
    • By jammy_jam_jam 8th Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jammy_jam_jam
    Eon Electrical Heating Economy 18 - advice needed
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    Eon Electrical Heating Economy 18 - advice needed 8th Oct 19 at 11:11 AM
    I've seem some similar threads but nothing that matches our situation so I thought I'd make a new thread to ask for some advice. Apologies in advance for a bit of a rambling post but I want to put in all of the details.

We live in a rented flat in Suffolk and currently we're on Eon's Electrical Heating Economy 18 tariff. We received a letter in June saying that the tariff was ending and we'll need to move to a new tariff. At the time we contacted Eon's Simpler Metering Team several times and after being bounced around a lot we were told that the only thing they can offer is the standard tariff which would add around 450 per year to our electricity bill.

We contacted the company who looks after the flat on behalf of our landlord and they said at the time that Eon were just scaremongering and we didn't need to do anything but now we've had another letter from Eon to say that the tariff is ending on 5 November and they'll be moving us onto the standard tariff. The management company has now said that because we pay for the electricity that it's our responsibility.

To give some more details on how things are set up in the flat - we have a single meter with two MPANs, it has three rates: day, night and stored heat. We have one storage heather in the living room and standard electric radiators in every room (including the living room). For hot water we have a Redring LWC210 boiler/cylinder with two immersion heaters attached.

I divided down 13 months of usage and on average we use 169 day units, 43 night units and 358 stored heat units. We both work full time during the day and since we're in a flat it's not really possible to run appliances overnight.

One thing that one of the Simpler Metering Team reps said is that because of the boiler we have they can't move us to either Economy 7 or 10 because they don't support it.

One thing that I'm particularly concerned about, apart from the possible increase in our bill, is that if we are switched to a standard tariff that we'll lose our hot water. There's no timer or any controls on the boiler besides two fused switches on the wall.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or can anyone offer some advice?
Page 3
    • jammy_jam_jam
    • By jammy_jam_jam 6th Nov 19, 4:56 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jammy_jam_jam
    The engineer has just left and we're up and running on an Economy 7 meter. He said that the switch for controlling the heating/hot water circuit is built into the meter. We've decided to hold off on a timer for the hot water and we'll so how we get on with things as they are now.
    Last edited by jammy_jam_jam; 06-11-2019 at 5:00 PM. Reason: Typo
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Nov 19, 5:38 PM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Well done, jammy. Please let us know how it goes.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON and the CMA
    How does this comply with the CMA restricted meter remedy? As far as I can tel, your E10 customers should be able to access every non smart standard meter tariff you offer without a meter exchange. You should bill all registers at the standard meter rate. The tariff choice should no longer be that limited, remove the restriction was the entire purpose of the remedy.

If you are not doing this this, you might want to pass it to your legal department and also ask them what the implications are for the wide definition of the cheapest tariff messaging. I believe you should be informing restricted customers on every bill if its cheaper for them to swap to a standard meter tariff.
    Originally posted by Bark01

Hello Bark01 and sorry if I've been a bit vague.

To be clear, customers on restricted/complex meters like Economy 10, Heatwise, RHT etc can opt for single rate unrestricted versions of our tariffs without the need to change their meter. For these customers, the relevant tariffs are only available as one-rate deals. Off-peak versions aren't an option without a meter exchange.

By limited options, I meant these customers don't have the choice of two-rate off-peak tariffs as they would with Economy 7 meters.

Customers with restricted/complex meters who want to go on a single rate tariff will need to phone our Sales Teams. They will be unable to switch online through our website or the Price Comparison sites. Our advisors will go through the deals available at that time so the customer can make an informed decision.

The 'could you pay less' messages on our bills, statements and annual summaries include details of how customer might save money by making changes.

Hope this explains Bark01 and sorry again I wasn't clear earlier.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Meter Exchange
    The engineer has just left and we're up and running on an Economy 7 meter. He said that the switch for controlling the heating/hot water circuit is built into the meter. We've decided to hold off on a timer for the hot water and we'll so how we get on with things as they are now.
    Originally posted by jammy_jam_jam

Nice one jammy_jam_jam. Hope all went well.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter