Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 2nd Nov 19, 9:24 AM
    • 9,688Posts
    • 2,616Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Automated phone call from Amazon
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:24 AM
    Automated phone call from Amazon 2nd Nov 19 at 9:24 AM
    Just received an automated call on my landline from Amazon - informing me that my account was just about to be charged for PRIME
    I have checked on line and they don't have my payment card details - I cancelled my last prime trial over a month ago...

and more worryingly - they don't have my landline number - only my mobile
    What is going on and should I be concerned ?
    I have just had an on-line chat with Amazon - who reckon that it was a "spam" call - but why would a spammer leave an automated call - they would not gain a penny ...
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 02-11-2019 at 9:32 AM.
    WW3 is coming - it's been almost 75 years since the last one - the next one will be FAR worse !
    So what's a few squabbles between politicians ??
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 2nd Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    • 31,638 Posts
    • 81,077 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    It wasn't from Amazon - it was a scam call.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 2nd Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 5,487 Posts
    • 5,455 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    As above, Amazon don't phone people.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 2nd Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    It wasn't from Amazon - it was a scam call.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    But what would the scammer gain from the call ?
    WW3 is coming - it's been almost 75 years since the last one - the next one will be FAR worse !
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 2nd Nov 19, 9:43 AM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:43 AM
    But what would the scammer gain from the call ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    From that call, nothing.
    However, now they have sown the seed, they may well call back to inform you that the payment failed and request your card details.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 2nd Nov 19, 9:43 AM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    boo_star
    Just received an automated call on my landline from Amazon - informing me that my account was just about to be charged for PRIME
    I have checked on line and they don't have my payment card details - I cancelled my last prime trial over a month ago...

I have just had an on-line chat with Amazon - who reckon that it was a "spam" call - but why would a spammer leave an automated call - they would not gain a penny ...
    Because some people would likely 1471 it (or ring the number given) as they don't have a Prime subscription to cancel and are worried that they've been charged for something they don't have.
    • miniemma
    • By miniemma 2nd Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    miniemma
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    The recorded spam call asks you to click 1 if you did not want to renew prime, they then put you through to a call handler who claims to have cancelled your prime but then suggests that your computer is infected which is what caused prime to renew. They then ask you to install a program called Team Viewer and take over control of your computer. The vulnerable/naive are then persuaded to log into their banking.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/25/amazon-prime-scam-conned-people-400000-10984647/
    Last edited by miniemma; 02-11-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 7th Nov 19, 1:43 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 7th Nov 19, 1:43 PM
    • 7th Nov 19, 1:43 PM
    We’ve received this call today. We are Amazon Prime customers and coincidentally, our annual subscription expires this month. My husband answered the phone and although he’s not as suspicious minded as I am, he did have the sense to immediately hang up.

I wouldn’t have answered the call in the first place as I didn’t recognise the number. I would have let it go to my answer service.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Nov 19, 12:16 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 37,280 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 8th Nov 19, 12:16 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 12:16 PM
    Cannot wait for them to ring me. If I bullshine them for a couple of minutes, they are not ripping off someone else.

Do not do this if you are not accustomed to keeping them on the line!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 8th Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    pattycake
    Cannot wait for them to ring me. If I bullshine them for a couple of minutes, they are not ripping off someone else.

Do not do this if you are not accustomed to keeping them on the line!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

Great idea but I donít think the initial message is a human! Presumably that happens if you (stupidly) press 1.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 8th Nov 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Nilrem
    I've had the calls both in Robot trying to sound human, and Human in the last few days.

As always just hang up, and if your phone allows it block the caller/report as spam.

It's unfortunately got to the point where I'm nearly hanging up on legitimate calls as I get so many about my bank/isp/amazon/whatever that unless whoever it is identifies themselves immediately and clearly I am likely to hang up (even with a call blocking phone we're getting multiple calls a day).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Nov 19, 10:56 PM
    • 24,930 Posts
    • 14,435 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's unfortunately got to the point where I'm nearly hanging up on legitimate calls as I get so many about my bank/isp/amazon/whatever that unless whoever it is identifies themselves immediately and clearly I am likely to hang up (even with a call blocking phone we're getting multiple calls a day).
    Originally posted by Nilrem
    I've got to the point where the only reason for having a landline phone is to keep the package deal with my telco provider. We neither ring out nor receive calls in (other than spam).
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 9th Nov 19, 10:24 AM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    eschaton

I got the same call the other day.

As soon as it got to Amazon Prime I knew it was a spam call and put the phone down.

Isnít it 100% obvious? Anyone getting caught out with calls like that shouldnít be allowed access to a phone.
    • libra10
    • By libra10 9th Nov 19, 2:49 PM
    • 12,436 Posts
    • 300,072 Thanks
    libra10
    I received the call yesterday. As I had been trying to cancel an Amazon Prime membership mistakenly signed into, it took a couple of seconds to wonder whether it was genuine.

However, when the robot asked to press 1, my suspicions were definitely increased. Deleted and blocked. I tried finding the telephone number with a Google search, but all I could find was the call seemed to originate from Massachusetts.
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 10th Nov 19, 11:13 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Woolco
    Hi. I too received the call from 01567 476418 telling me my Amazon account had been hacked and to press 1 for a security person. Reported to the ICO.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Nov 19, 5:54 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 37,280 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Great idea but I donít think the initial message is a human! Presumably that happens if you (stupidly) press 1.
    Originally posted by pattycake
    Read again if I keep them busy for just a minute, these shysters scammers are not ripping somebody off!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Nov 19, 7:22 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Hi. I too received the call from 01567 476418 telling me my Amazon account had been hacked and to press 1 for a security person. Reported to the ICO.
    Originally posted by Woolco
    Slightly pointless - fake untraceable number
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 11th Nov 19, 8:15 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Woolco
    Slightly pointless - fake untraceable number
    I don't care. It made me feel better.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Nov 19, 1:02 PM
    • 24,930 Posts
    • 14,435 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don't care. It made me feel better.
    Originally posted by Woolco
    On what basis did you complain to the ICO?

There is no identity theft issue, you just received a spam call.

Action Fraud would have been a more appropriate agency, but even then, you weren't actually a victim so little point.

Forget about attempting to trace the call using a domestic phone, by the way. Shysters use technology which disguises the actual number.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 14th Nov 19, 1:03 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    We've had the same call a couple of times; my only regret is that they were recorded messages, so I didn't have the satisfaction of leading them on, wasting their time and then telling them to foxtrot oscar.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,529Users online

Martin's Twitter