Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 2Thanks
    stacey4857
    Identity theft
    • 6th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    Identity theft 6th Nov 19 at 10:02 AM
    Iím not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.
    My husband was a victim of identity theft about two years ago, they bought furniture from DFS, applied for other accounts etc. He registered with CIFAS, put a password on his Experian account and all has been fine, until yesterday. I got an alert from Credit Karma to say I had a new search on my file, I had a look and it was an 'associate search' for a TSB current account. He hadnít applied for it so we obviously knew something wasnít right. He called TSB and someone has opened an account using his first name, DOB and address, the funny thing is, is that they used a shortened version of our surname and they put an incorrect amount of time at our address (9 years instead of months) but TSB still opened the account, they also didnít request his Experian password or do any other checks even though he is registered with CIFAS. My question is, is there anything else we can do to try and prevent more accounts etc from being opened? It seems the appropriate checks just arenít being done by lenders/banks which makes me think that we donít stand a chance.
Page 2
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:34 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    The ER entry will be shown on his Experian credit report which presumably you checked in order to be aware of the fact that his Experian credit files were searched.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I’ve already stated we had checked the file, stupidly not the ER information as this doesn’t pop up on the file search results as I’m sure you’re aware. I’m not really sure why you’re still commenting on this post to be honest, is it to make yourself feel important? You clearly absolutely nothing useful to add.
    Last edited by stacey4857; 06-11-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:36 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    The ER entry will be shown on his Experian credit report which presumably you checked in order to be aware of the fact that his Experian credit files were searched.
    I also find it very odd indeed that the identity thief had the correct number for time at current address but entered it as years instead of months.
    I actually couldnít care less what you find odd to be honest, this wasnít something we asked for.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:38 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    Ben could you please stop editing you comments because I can’t keep up and I have to keep replying.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Nov 19, 9:38 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I’ve already stated we had checked the file, stupidly not the ER information as this doesn’t pop up on the file search results as I’m sure you’re aware. .
    Originally posted by stacey4857
    Well it does actually if you check his credit files properly...
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Nov 19, 9:41 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I actually couldnít care less what you find odd to be honest, this wasnít something we asked for.
    Yes I know you couldn't care less because you don't lke what I am saying .... but to anybody else it would be very curious.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:45 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    Yes I know you couldn't care less because you don't lke what I am saying .... but to anybody else it would be very curious.
    You know what is curious, someone constantly replying to a post when they have absolutely no intention of offering advice, thatís really curious that. You know what I also find curious, someone constantly replying but not really actually saying anything or dare I say it beating around the bush and not actually coming out and saying exactly what they mean. In regards to the ER info popping up on the search, no where does it state the name on the ER, time at address yes, name no, name searched yes.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:46 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    As for not liking what youíre saying, I have no clue what youíre actually saying, itís a lot of word without saying much.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:48 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    Well it does actually if you check his credit files properly...
    Again editing your comments.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    You know what is curious, someone constantly replying to a post when they have absolutely no intention of offering advice, thatís really curious that. You know what I also find curious, someone constantly replying but not really actually saying anything or dare I say it beating around the bush and not actually coming out and saying exactly what they mean. In regards to the ER info popping up on the search, no where does it state the name on the ER, time at address yes, name no, name searched yes.
    tt clearly states name and the dates that you have been on the ER at the address concerned.
    You are obviously looking at the wrong section of the credit report.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 9:53 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    tt clearly states name and the dates that you have been on the ER at the address concerned.
    You are obviously looking at the wrong section of the credit report.
    Iím aware it states that but not on the search like I said, it states the name searched again like I said.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Nov 19, 9:55 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I’m aware it states that but not on the search like I said, it states the name searched again like I said.
    Well actually on my Experian report it DOES state time at address in respect of each individual search.
    Of course I check directly with Experian and don't use Credit Karma but as Credit Karma provide Trans Union data they would have no more idea of what is shown on your Experian report than I do..
    Last edited by Ben8282; 06-11-2019 at 9:57 PM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Nov 19, 10:03 PM
    • 16,262 Posts
    • 19,514 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Is it just you and partner living in the new place ? No relatives lodgers anything like that ? Anyone else, however unlikely, that could get access to your premises? Nanny?
    Have you made an official complaint to TSB about their ineptness ?
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 10:32 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    Is it just you and partner living in the new place ? No relatives lodgers anything like that ? Anyone else, however unlikely, that could get access to your premises? Nanny?
    Have you made an official complaint to TSB about their ineptness ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Just us, no one else has access. My husband is waiting for the account to be closed, itís only frozen while they investigate and then making an official complaint. Doing some research I found an article from back in 2018 that said company directors are being targeted in this way via info on companies house, Iím now wondering if this is whatís happened, it doesnít explain the DOB though.
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 10:36 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    Well actually on my Experian report it DOES state time at address in respect of each individual search.
    Of course I check directly with Experian and don't use Credit Karma but as Credit Karma provide Trans Union data they would have no more idea of what is shown on your Experian report than I do..
    Erm yeah thatís what I said if you read it properly, credit search states time at address yes, name searched yes, name on ER no, all of which I stated above.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 7th Nov 19, 5:22 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    Just us, no one else has access. My husband is waiting for the account to be closed, it’s only frozen while they investigate and then making an official complaint. Doing some research I found an article from back in 2018 that said company directors are being targeted in this way via info on companies house, I’m now wondering if this is what’s happened, it doesn’t explain the DOB though.
    You can get DOB from Companies House. Also home address if it's used for company registration or director correspondence. That's why it's best to pay for virtual office where you register your company and director.

Whole GDPR is smoke screen, since you can get a lot of personal information from Companies House for free.

• stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 7th Nov 19, 5:50 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stacey4857
    You can get DOB from Companies House. Also home address if it's used for company registration or director correspondence. That's why it's best to pay for virtual office where you register your company and director.

Whole GDPR is smoke screen, since you can get a lot of personal information from Companies House for free.
    Originally posted by Penelopa.Pitstop
    Yes the home address is used but now after realising this is obviously how itís been done, he is arranging a virtual office, itís probably a bit late though. I didnít realise the DOB was available for all to see on companies house, this explains a lot.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Nov 19, 7:33 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Yes the home address is used but now after realising this is obviously how itís been done, he is arranging a virtual office, itís probably a bit late though. I didnít realise the DOB was available for all to see on companies house, this explains a lot.
    This is not obviously how it was done and explains very little. It is one possible explanation from many possible explanations and does not even begin to explain the MOTIVE for opening a bank account in his name.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 7th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Now, I don't know that much about the way banks and CRAs communicate but if TSB undertook a search using an incorrect surname, wouldn't that imply the CRAs have messed up by applying the search to the wrong individual's file?

The Experian security word is surely something TSB should/would not have overlooked, so is there the possibility that the applicant knew the word and passed that stage of security?

Other things that would be interesting to investigate are the landline, mobile and email address information supplied with the application.

And, like it or like it not, Ben8282 has a point that it is very odd that a potential fraudster would apply for a bank account using genuine data when they have no possibility of getting hold of things such as a card/PIN - unless they are able to intercept your post, or somehow alter the registered address between application and receipt of things.

If your husband is a company director, does he have any disgruntled former employees who might want to cause trouble? Getting landline/mobile details might help to identify such a person - unless those details are also your husband's.
    • Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 8th Nov 19, 4:17 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Uxb1
    I didnít realise the DOB was available for all to see on companies house, this explains a lot.
    Only the the year and month of birth is shown.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Nov 19, 6:43 PM
    • 3,111 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    phillw
    Wouldn’t TSB also ask for additional forms of ID e.g passport, driving licence, utility bill or such like before the account would be set up?
    Originally posted by mags21
    I don't remember providing any ID when I signed up for TSB. In my experience it's very rare that you are asked for any ID if you already have a bank account that has been open for a while.

And, like it or like it not, Ben8282 has a point that it is very odd that a potential fraudster would apply for a bank account using genuine data when they have no possibility of getting hold of things such as a card/PIN - unless they are able to intercept your post, or somehow alter the registered address between application and receipt of things.
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    It could be someone working for the company that produces cards, the post office, or someone who is going to doorstep the postman. It depends on how much effort they want to put in, they don't have to have a perfect hit rate either.
    Last edited by phillw; 08-11-2019 at 6:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,389Users online

Martin's Twitter