Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Jul 19, 4:10 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 855Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Saving for..?
    • 20th Jul 19, 4:10 PM
    Saving for..? 20th Jul 19 at 4:10 PM
    I'm not quite sure yet! But I would like to stop wasting money and be more accountable with it!

A little bit of background context:

I'm 26 and live alone with no family around me. I left an abusive relationship 2 years ago and became homeless. I spent most of my then 8000 savings, some necessary some not. I went on several holidays and outings, bought a nice computer, furnished a property I got and bought myself a whole new wardrobe. Sometimes I feel guilty at the amount of money I spent but a lot of it was a coping mechanism. I am now in a much more stable and happy situation and would like to start being more accountable with my money.

I recently moved, having been placed in the roughest council estate of my town and the anti-social behaviour was really bad. I am nearing the end of my biggest debt so I put it towards renting a nicer property. Not MSE but so much better for my mental health!

I am also in a new relationship. My partner is here on a study visa for the next 1-2 years. After that, who knows? Maybe he'll get a job here, maybe we'll move somewhere else, maybe we won't be together. As such, I have no idea where my life is going to take me in the next few years so I don't want to commit to anything but I also want to be prepared because life has taught me it doesn't always work out the way I plan!

Until then, my goals are to:

1) Stick to budgets and save the rest.
    2) Get a better paying and more stable job.
    3) Only buy what I can afford - no more financing/debt. Save for what I want.
    4) Have fun with my money! I don't want to lambaste myself for having an occasional treat.
    5) Learn to cook more and bake.. at all

I'm going to pop up a SOA in a bit and would love if anyone could point out where I could be saving or maximising my savings. I also sometimes see people my age (and younger) being married, owning homes, having families etc and feel a little bit bad about it so if anyone could tell me that I'm doing fine too that would be a massive help

Thanks for reading (or at least allowing me the bandwidth to post my dull life )
Page 9
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 6th Nov 19, 6:36 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Went out for lunch for a catch up with old colleagues which was nice. I did bring soup with me to work but tbh it was actually a good thing I went out for lunch because I got home and realised I hadn't anything for tea tonight! So the soup and bread will get ate later tonight.

4 on my lunch added to groceries

Groceries: 14.79/25
    Petrol: 15.01/55
    Entertainment: 25.82/60
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: 2295.22/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7234.95/?
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Nov 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 19,433 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    4 is a good price for lunch out and its nice that your old colleagues have kept in touch.
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 598
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160
    LAST PAYMENT 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 300 Xmas / birthday fund 285 Car maintenance fund 312
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 8th Nov 19, 11:24 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Ugh, stupidly spilt tea over my laptop last night. It lost volume but that was all. I turned off the laptop anyway so it wouldn't damage anything, opened the back to dry anything out but it seemed fine. This morning, I try to turn it on and it won't! I'll leave it over the weekend as I'll be at boyfriends and if it doesn't work by Monday I'll have to get it repaired . I don't have the laptop insurance anymore as when I got a a new bank card it stopped taking payments - not sure if I can reinstate it. I've done that before but it charged me for all the months I did miss..I have a works laptop so using that atm,

Popped to the store for some petrol 15.01 which should do me until I get paid (7 days!) and more groceries @ 6.91. Just pigging out atm on pistachios before I make lunch and go to a meeting then it's the weekend!! Question if anyone knows - can the pistachio shells go into the food waste bin or is it general waste?

Money has gone into savings but have taken some of it back out as I need for petrol and food and also it's bf's bday weekend. Did suggest a few things for him to do but he wasn't too sure so will be something last minute as per with him or a meal. We agree birthdays and other events there won't be gifts, we will just spend some time together.

Groceries: 21.70/25
    Petrol: 30.02/55
    Entertainment: 25.82/60
    Saving for:
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Nov 19, 8:24 AM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 47,748 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope your laptop has recovered. Fingers crossed.
    Christmas Fund 268 No spend month?
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 10th Nov 19, 7:38 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Yep, that's me home and it's working! The audio isn't but I'm just glad to have my laptop back.

Time to count the pennies. Took bf out for lunch for his bday - spent 30.90 in his chosen restaurant. We shared some mozzarella sticks, a pizza and some potatoes and an alcoholic drink each. The food was awful tbh for such a nice looking restaurant. We would have been better off going to one of the cheaper pubs we like but thought we'd try something a bit nicer for his birthday. More expensive doesn't always mean nicer though!

Popped back to his so he could study a bit then watched some TV and ate lots of snacks!

That's me home now. Next weekend I think we're going out for a couple of free drinks for his and his friends birthday.

Groceries: 21.70/25
    Entertainment: 56.75/60

No point putting my leftover grocery money into savings as I just took money out of it to pay for my groceries and some bills next week. Pay day Friday though then my final pay from previous work on the following Wednesday!! Very early starts for me Mon-Wed next week and travelling a fair bit!!
    Saving for:
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Nov 19, 6:33 PM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 47,748 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on treating him sorry the food was overpriced. It's great that you will have two paydays together v soon. Have a good rest of the week.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 12th Nov 19, 8:53 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    that's such a shame about the restaurant, but at least you know for next time I suppose! I'm so pleased the laptop made an (almost) complete recovery
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 8174 / 6,000 (4671 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7483 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 21,357 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 469 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 10/10/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jun 2052
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 13th Nov 19, 9:28 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Gosh, so busy! And because I've been so busy (got home at 730pm last night!) I didn't have anything for lunch and got caught out with that "if you get a drink and crisps it's a meal deal for x.xx" but then ended up being more. I was hungry so didn't question and ran. I also had some lunch out on the Tuesday too as I was travelling 2 hours by train so didn't want to take food as it would spoil by then, sigh. Made soup tonight for Thu + Fri lunch so sorted for then and should have enough to make more for a few days the following week. Stupid fire alarm went off and then the electricity fused so no light in the kitchen which is the last thing I'll need in the morning!! I'll need to get a new lightbulb but will probably be some time next week at this rate..

Payday friday though so should be able to do some saving (after I work out how much money I need to give my mum to cover presents for my 500 nephews..) but shouldn't be much other expenses. Soo nothing exciting unfortunately, just trying to keep myself fed and awake atm but almost the weekend....

Groceries: 21/25
    Entertainment: 56.75/60

I think I have everything foodwise this week, if I can live without crisps that is...
    Saving for:
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Nov 19, 10:45 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 19,433 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It's better to spend some money and keep yourself fed and hydrated. With such a busy hectic life you need to look after yourself even if it means saving less
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Nov 19, 8:32 PM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 47,748 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I love crisps too but ive put on weight because of them. lol. You will burn it off as you do so much. Remember to eat some fruit and veg too.

Hope you can rest a bit and get the lights back on.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 15th Nov 19, 9:37 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Indeed I am going to BFs tomorrow we're just going to stay in and cook some food so I will need to pick up some pieces of food for us before I get to his but that's fine since we aren't going out treating ourselves. I got paid today and it's a very good wage (one month + 2.5 weeks worth) which is perfect timing as I have so many christmas lunches coming up (the one con of becoming more sociable!) and I need to sort out money for my nephews but I have plenty to save too so v happy.

I have 10 in prolific pending and I also just won Gin on a twitter competition! I am gifting it to my friend who loves Gin as I'm not a huge fan and she's thankful so feels good.

I've been semi-useful at work which feels great but most importantly:

It was bfs mums birthday yesterday. I asked him to wish her happy birthday for me. She sent back her thanks and asked him to send me her number. I text her today with my number in return. She said it was sweet of me to send her birthday wishes. She has known about me for over a year and a half and wasn't accepting/understanding at first but she has been asking about me and we've made steps to begin a relationship so I'm happy. Bf and her have a rocky relationship but I think this step is very important for her and I and I know how much family means to their culture. So hopefully this is a step forward.

Back to a little bit of travelling and meetings next week then full force the following week so busy again. Have a great weekend everyone
    Saving for:
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Nov 19, 5:57 AM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 19,433 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Ooh what a lovely friend you are giving away free gin

Good news on the budding relationship with bf mother.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Nov 19, 8:16 AM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 47,748 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on being paid and fab news on motherinlaw making an effort. Go you!
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 19th Nov 19, 6:14 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Been busy still so has meant cheeky wee coffees here and there! Out for lunch again tomorrow but could be considered a business lunch plus!! I get my final pay from my old work tomorrow too. Not sure how much to expect, maybe a few hundred that will go straight to savings anyway. Picked up shopping from Aldi and still surprised how cheap I can get it!! 11.94 which includes a lightbulb that doesn't fit for my kitchen so need to find another

I officially switched over to bulb today but they didn't take my first payment? Hopefully it does tomorrow. Bulb are supposed to take payment on the first day of change.

This weekend again not much, bf coming to me for a change to help me buy cards for christmas and he's never been to B&M so going to take him in which I know will be a few more spends but I'd like to have some more homely ornaments and fluffy things so we'll see.

Oh apparently BFs mom called saying she stalked my facebook and was poking at him to talk about me. He said he will make effort to get us all more involved. I was thinking of just sending her pictures of nice things to see if that helps start convo!

Groceries: 19.48/25
    Petrol: 20.01/55
    Entertainment: 0/60
    Last edited by JennyJukes; Yesterday at 6:16 PM.
    Saving for:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter