Campervan/motorhome or not

Options
I have a small amount of cash and am thinking about buying a campervan/motorhome but don't really know if I am wasting my money.
I get long school holidays so plenty of time off but wondering if the cost of buying a campervan/motorhome could be spent on holidays instead as they aren't cheap - not planning on buying new so thinking maximum budget £17,000. Anyone any experiences they would like to share to help me make up my mind.
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some people like them.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you been on holidays in one before? Maybe hire one and give it a go, first.

I think the advantages are that you can have your own stuff and customise to your own preferences in terms of what you want to have with you, and it does potentially make it easier to go away at short notice and relatively cheaply.

BUT you have a big upfront cost, and the cost of maintaining a second vehicle - and £17,000 could buy you quite a few other holidays.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a caravan. It is only a £100 banger but I love it and have had at least 20 weekends away in the 15 months weve had it. If you have the money id say yes but maybe get a cgeaper one first to check that you actually like it, although to be honest they don't really deprecate in value that much so if you bought one and didnt like it you'd probably be able to sell it on again.

We're going away in ours tomorrow for the night to a halloween party.
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can hire a motor home fairly easily. That will give you an idea of whether you want to buy one.

You also need to consider where you want to go. We have lived in the South West for 15 years and seen many motor homes stuck on unsuitable roads.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know where the current obsession with motorhomes comes from. Caravans are superior in almost every respect. Their running costs are virtually zero while motorhomes need their own insurance, MOT, servicing. When you get to your destination the caravan comes off and you've got your family car to travel in. Caravans are really cost effective. Motorhomes are money pits.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Travelling in Europe with a motorhome is either ridiculously cheap or free. In the UK then the caravan argument wins really - the bonus with a motorhome is that if you visit somewhere with it (say a theme park with your kids, or a national trust property) you pull up, have a nice cup of tea, can pop back and make yourself lunch - and sometimes stay right nearby without driving at the end of the day.

We have one, spend most of our time travelling in Europe and staying at Aires, and love it. It's ready to go, has all the home comforts - and it doesn't matter if you are driving to the beach for along walk and coming back to it for a slow cooked lunch or taking a month to explore Holland....
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone I definitely don't want a caravan, there is just me and the dog and I would like to escape at weekends to the seaside and then tour during the long school holidays, not necessarily staying at sites maybe more wild camping

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can get one that fits in a normal parking space and gets under height barriers (lots of places are traveller proofed) then things get easier. There are lots of small motorhomes. Have you seen the Amdro boot jumps? They have always looked interesting for someone like you. Hope the dog isn't massive. I know someone who bought a van that someone had converted. You couldn't stand up in it so he couldn't get dressed. He quickly got rid of it. He then bought a converted MPV that he is very happy with. They do keep their value very well.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    If you can get one that fits in a normal parking space and gets under height barriers (lots of places are traveller proofed) then things get easier. There are lots of small motorhomes. Have you seen the Amdro boot jumps? They have always looked interesting for someone like you. Hope the dog isn't massive. I know someone who bought a van that someone had converted. You couldn't stand up in it so he couldn't get dressed. He quickly got rid of it. He then bought a converted MPV that he is very happy with. They do keep their value very well.

No dog is a sprocker (springer/cocker cross)

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have had our Mazda Bongo since 2008. Not only do we camp in it but it's our day to day car (it's getting on a bit in years and fuel consumption isn't great) but we have convinced ourselves that it is offset by us not needing to go in cafes and the like.

We have a diesel auto with the electric lifting roof (Auto Free Top). Friends of ours have a petrol version, with the normal roof (a "bongolow"!!!!).

I know you've said you don't want a caravan - we had one for eight years which we towed with the Bongo but we had a few worrying moments with cross winds and the like, and the "what if we have to stay on at the campsite for a couple of days until the wind subsides" moments.

Get yourself a Bongo ……….. you really won't regret it. A Very Versatile Vehicle!!

There's a great community of Bongonauts (with a forum) at Bongo Fury. We've made lots of friends in the past 11 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure