PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 21 Notice - Is it invalid?

Options
Hi, I'm DesperateDans and I am.... Desperate.

I am a private tenant and have been served with a Section 21 notice 2 months ago. The landlady expects me to move out on the date given, but I will not be doing so.

I am getting assistance from the council on rehousing, but it is happening very slowly due to the waiting lists etc. I can't give too much information on here either as I don't want to possibly be identified by my Landlady.

But, my curiosity got the better of me and I have been looking into the requirements of Section 21. I was not served with a gas safety certificate at the (renewal) of my last tenancy 18 months ago. It lapsed and 6 months later the landlady wants me out, for no fault of my own.

The gas safety check was done, but I am unsure of when. I was not given a copy of it and again, it expired (I've been about 3 months without a GSC) and it's just been done 2 weeks ago - 2 months after the Section 21 notice was served on me. I still have not been given a copy of the certificate, the plumber refused to give me a copy.

I also was not served with an EPC before I was given the Section 21 notice.

The tenancy is an Assured Shorthold and is now on a periodic basis.

From what I read, the scenario I describe above (No GSC served, No valid GSC in place and no EPC served) means I am in posession of an invalid Section 21 notice.

My questions -

1) Is my take on the situation correct?
2) If so, is it worth bringing this to the Landladies notice now, or waiting until it goes to court and telling the judge?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to clarify you didnt receive an EPC when you moved in? How long have you lived at the property?
  • DesperateDans
    Options
    I didn't get an EPC when I moved in, which was in 2010, but the tenancy is renewed every year (last one was 01/2017 - 01/2018)

I was given the EPC for the first time with the Section 21 notice.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If EPC served WITH s21 probably invalid, if served 1 second earlier OK.

Check s21 with
    https://markprichard.co.uk/content/documents/180408-Section-21-checker-tool.pdf
  • DesperateDans
    Options
    Thank you for that.

The EPC was in the envelope that the S21 came in.

The GSC still has not been issued to me.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2018 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Not sure I agree with artful about the EPC. I suspect a court would accept service of the EPC togeter with the S21 - but it's moot.

If the gas report is out of date though, then the S21 is invalid.

Check artful's link:

https://markprichard.co.uk/content/documents/180408-Section-21-checker-tool.pdf

I don't believe there was a requirement to provide an EPC in 2010 was there? Having an elderly moment! But even if there was, provided one is rovided before (or with???) the S21 it is valid.

My questions -

2) If so, is it worth bringing this to the Landladies notice now, or waiting until it goes to court and telling the judge?
    Well that's up to you!

What is your relationship with her?
    What is you aim?
  • DesperateDans
    Options
    My aim is to stay as long as possible as alternative accommodation is looking very unlikely at the moment due to my situation.

I don't think there was a requirement in 2010, but as the tenancy was renewed each year, is that not a "New Tenancy"?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My aim is to stay as long as possible as alternative accommodation is looking very unlikely at the moment due to my situation.

I don't think there was a requirement in 2010, but as the tenancy was renewed each year, is that not a "New Tenancy"?

Happy to be corrected, but I thought EPCs were required when advertising a property. As an existing tenant, the property wouldn't be marketed, so even if you have a new tenancy there may not be a requirement for an EPC.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No S21 would be valid if an EPC had not been provided free of charge to a tenant.

That is separate from the requirement for an EPC to be supplied when marketing a property for sale or rent.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The issue is the gas certificate, the law is that it should have been issued to you when you moved in (not at renewal) and then within 28 days of each one done there after.

I lost track when you got one and not. If the above doesn't apply, the S21 is invalid.

Caridon Property Ltd v Monty Shooltz was an interesting case relevant to yours.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do realise you'll be out at some point? If your landlord got it wrong this time they will get it right the next. And if they end up taking you to court then I think they can come after you for costs (not sure on this though).

Might be better to work with your landlord - if you council aren't housing you what are you going to do? If it's something that will need a reference then again, you'll want to work with your landlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure