Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SteBurke44
    • By SteBurke44 13th Jun 18, 10:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SteBurke44
    Car Stolen MOT out of date by 2+ weeks Insurance Refusing to pay a penny
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:34 PM
    Car Stolen MOT out of date by 2+ weeks Insurance Refusing to pay a penny 13th Jun 18 at 10:34 PM
    Hi there,
    My car was stolen on the 20th may 2018, I was in bed with my girlfriend when there was a knock at 1am in the morning. Grandmother was hesitant to open the door but as they kept knocking she answered and they burst through the door knocking her down and took my car keys and before i had the chance to get down the stairs near them they was in the car and half way up the street in my car.
    It gets worse....

After police was informed and car was reported stolen I had to call the insurance, three days later insurance sent me an Email saying that my MOT was 2+ weeks out of date and that they would not be paying me a single penny as they was not entitled to do so as I don't have a valid MOT. I am usually on the ball getting my car sorted but this year I genuinely had the dates mixed up and made a mistake. My car was an Audi S3 2014 plate, which i worked very hard for for a good few years in work to save up for. It was valued at 24 thousand pounds and for them to tell me I will not be getting a penny has sent me into a very fragile state of mind. I was wondering if anybody on here had any advice on how to tackle this situation as I'm very confused on how to go about it.

I have been rejected by insurance three times now and I've been in touch with the financial ombudsman over it and they have told me to send my insurance an email in to why i disagree with their decision on not to pay me out. I have done that and i am now awaiting for the financial ombudsman to step in.

My car insurance go skippy gave me a courtesy car for 2 weeks then took it back off me as they decided i was not going to be getting paid out, So i have now got no car and i am being told i will not be getting paid out as they carry on taking direct debits out of my bank account for car insurance even though i have no car.

The car was taxed and insured just 2+ weeks out of date on MOT.
    Sorry for going on i am just extremely nervous as it took me a lot of hard work and commitment to save up such an amount for my dream car.

Do i have a case?
    thank you to everybody who takes time out of their day to send me a reply.

Kind regards
    Stephen
    Last edited by SteBurke44; 13-06-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Jun 18, 10:50 PM
    • 19,446 Posts
    • 13,648 Thanks
    molerat
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:50 PM
    Raise a complaint and push to ombudsman if they do not fold. The lack of an MOT is not considered material to a claim, all it will do is affect the value of the vehicle. Many similar cases found in customer's favour.
    Last edited by molerat; 13-06-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    • 37,524 Posts
    • 21,733 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer your route is to make a formal complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you

The FOS have previously ruled that this condition is unenforceable so you have good prospects of getting your complaint upheld
    • SteBurke44
    • By SteBurke44 13th Jun 18, 11:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SteBurke44
    • 13th Jun 18, 11:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 11:07 PM
    Thank you both for your responses. Its made me feel a bit more at ease. I've been in a very bad frame of mind the past couple of weeks. I will do exactly what use have both said. I know i will lose out on money due to this but i understand that that is my own fault due to the MOT. I just hope i can recover something as to get nothing would absolutely destroy me.
    I really appreciate it.

If anybody is interested in the full story its on Twitter @SteBurke44. Its my 'Pinned Tweet'.
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 13th Jun 18, 11:37 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    • 13th Jun 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 11:37 PM
    Free MOT reminder here:-

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

Reminder sent to email/phone 4 weeks before due and a second reminder 2 weeks before due if it hasn't been tested.
    • SteBurke44
    • By SteBurke44 14th Jun 18, 12:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SteBurke44
    • 14th Jun 18, 12:30 AM
    • 14th Jun 18, 12:30 AM
    Thanks Mate. That will come in handy for me for next time and I'm sure a lot of people who have saw this post.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 14th Jun 18, 7:17 AM
    • 20,600 Posts
    • 12,765 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 14th Jun 18, 7:17 AM
    • 14th Jun 18, 7:17 AM
    As Quentin has said the Ombudsman over rules Insurers who try and insert a clause in their Insurance that the vehicle must have an MOT.

Bear in mind that a car not having an MOT when it was recently due can be an indicator of an Insurance fraud as it is not uncommon for vehicles that need a lot of money spent on them to pass an MOT to be stolen.

With this in mind, I would gather as much evidence you have of the vehicle being serviced on time and in particular any large bills you have recently paid. It may also help if you can demonstrate you are financially stable eg you have no reason to not MOT the car / have it stolen as you are not in large debt etc

When you make your "Official Complaint" mention that the Ombudsman does not accept no MOT being an acceptable clause in the policy (Go Skippy are well aware of this but still persist in refusing claims for it) and briefly mention any money spent on it recently and the service history etc

Google who owns Go Skippy...

If there is nothing we are not aware of about your claim, the Ombudsman is likely to require the Insurers to pay out on the claim
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,358Users online

Martin's Twitter