Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peddeh
    • By Peddeh 10th Jun 18, 2:04 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Peddeh
    2 Weeks into new job I'm facing redundancy
    • 10th Jun 18, 2:04 PM
    2 Weeks into new job I'm facing redundancy 10th Jun 18 at 2:04 PM
    Hi all,

I started my new job last week (full-time, perm), only to be told this week by HR that my job is at risk of redundancy, due to restructuring (basically we're the smallest regional office, and they want to get rid of us for savings). The proposed termination is said to be early July.

As of yet, no one has been able to give me a response as to why I was even recruited/hired just to be made redundant and I plan to chase this up in my first consultation meeting next week.

My question really is, what rights do I have? I know I won't be entitled to any redundancy pay and I don't expect any. I just want re-assurance I'll be treated like any other employee throughout the consultation period and the information I've found online isn't all that helpful for people in my predicament.

Honestly if it wasn't for me needing a wage at the end of the month, I'd have walked already - that and potentially having to go back on JSA (shudder...) and for that I'll need redundancy status.

On the bright side, I've interviews lined up for other opportunities and if I'm successful with any one of those, I'll be handing in my notice asap.

Any help is appreciated.
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Jun 18, 2:23 PM
    • 42,253 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    macman
    • 10th Jun 18, 2:23 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 2:23 PM
    Since you are presumably still in your probationary period, your rights are probably less than other employees in terms of notice period: check your contract. If they go down the redundancy route, then your rights should be the same. You don't qualify for redundancy payments until you have worked there for 2 years.
    The office closure was probably determined higher up the food chain, and if you were recruited at the local office level then they may have had no idea that their own jobs were under threat.
    Last edited by macman; 10-06-2018 at 2:25 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Peddeh
    • By Peddeh 10th Jun 18, 3:02 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Peddeh
    • 10th Jun 18, 3:02 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 3:02 PM
    My contract states in my probationary period I can be dismissed for basically any reason (as is standard) with 1 weeks notice. There's nothing to indicate I'd be treated differently during redundancy while still under probation. So I'm going to go on the presumption I'll be treated the same as every other employee.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jun 18, 3:20 PM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 9,186 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Jun 18, 3:20 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 3:20 PM
    So I'm going to go on the presumption I'll be treated the same as every other employee.
    Originally posted by Peddeh
    Never presume. If an employer can legally treat one employee differently to others when it is to that employer's advantage, then that is what most employers would do.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 8,690 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 10th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    Never presume. If an employer can legally treat one employee differently to others when it is to that employer's advantage, then that is what most employers would do.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    And they can. Under two years, there's no right to consultation, no right to be considered for alternative employment. Basically, not really any rights at all. Basically, your "rights" are only of any value when you can claim unfair dismissal. You can't, so unless they are in breach of contract, there is nothing you can do. People think that they get made redundant. Actually, there's no such thing. People get dismissed. Everyone gets dismissed. Redundancy is just a fair reason for dismissal. If you think about it like that, then you know where you stand.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Jun 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:05 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:05 PM
    There is a lot of negativity in the previous posts. You may well be treated like all the other employees including being offered some redundancy money.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jun 18, 5:26 PM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 9,186 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:26 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:26 PM
    There is a lot of negativity in the previous posts. You may well be treated like all the other employees including being offered some redundancy money.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    There's also a lot of fact in those posts. Why would an employer offer any redundancy money when they are not required to?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 18, 5:56 PM
    • 32,686 Posts
    • 19,670 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:56 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 5:56 PM
    There's also a lot of fact in those posts. Why would an employer offer any redundancy money when they are not required to?
    Originally posted by lincroft1710

One of my former employers offered a minimum of 4 weeks full pay redundancy and full PILON to everyone.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 18, 6:00 PM
    • 32,686 Posts
    • 19,670 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 18, 6:00 PM
    • 10th Jun 18, 6:00 PM
    As of yet, no one has been able to give me a response as to why I was even recruited/hired just to be made redundant and I plan to chase this up in my first consultation meeting next week..
    Originally posted by Peddeh

Often it is a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing or not being able to say or give wind there is something going on.

Higher up people are looking at the business but the lower downs carry on as normal.

Your little office needs someone so they recruit.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jun 18, 6:01 PM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 9,186 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    One of my former employers offered a minimum of 4 weeks full pay redundancy and full PILON to everyone.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Name your employer, he deserves recognition as one of the more generous employers. But would he have given this to an employee with only 2 weeks service.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 10th Jun 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    OP only needs 2 more weeks and then they will become due to be paid for notice.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-legal-rights-when-facing-redundancy#your-right-to-a-minimum-notice-period

My last redundancy was at three months, a week's notice was paid to everyone on the team. (we all started together) In additional I have heard of and it turned out I knew someone made redundant in their first week with a company - they also got notice payment.

At the moment I've a FTC on shaky grounds as not going to term, you can betcha getting answers is pretty difficult, even when in 5 days time 50% of my job is over, but simply because of the notice ramification and all the standard liners that go into a contract, I suspect, so a quite a frustrating time if ever I knew one when I would far rather know what is go to happen rather then maybe's and being forced into a secondment role I do not want or cannot do, aside from being yet again potential for being pushed into a further FTC.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 10th Jun 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    Alter ego
    OP asked what their rights are - the correct answer is they have none.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jun 18, 6:21 PM
    • 32,313 Posts
    • 20,322 Thanks
    DCFC79

Would you rather incorrect advice be given or the truth be told ?
    • gwynfil
    • By gwynfil 11th Jun 18, 7:52 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    gwynfil
    My advice is more on a friendly level, than a legal one. You want to get paid, so I would stick with it, whilst looking for another job. I know it is unsettling, but you would at least be able to say to JSA, that you didn't leave your job of your own accord if it came to that. Also, you have every right to look for a new job if yours is not secure long term. They shoud be reasonable to you- even if it is only a good reference, as you took the job in good faith. I always find it is easier to get a new job, when still working. I expect you feel like saying stuff it to them etc, but if you play the long game, stay friendly etc, it may work out in your favour better in the end. I'm sure you know all this by what you have written, but it's just my opinion. All the best for the future.
    • Peddeh
    • By Peddeh 13th Jun 18, 7:31 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Peddeh
    Just thought I'd give everyone a quick update, after having my first redundancy consultation. It seems I'm being treated respectfully. I even got an apology out of it. I've been told I'll be given at least a months notice, if it is decided redundancy will officially go as planned and I've also been granted paid leave to attend some interviews.

My plan is to just keep my head down and ride it out until I find a new job or am made redundant (for money + redundancy status sake (benefit claims, if I need to)).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,742Posts Today

6,763Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin