M&S current account

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    They have their own late/ weekend opening branches in many M&S stores and you can do basic transactions at HSBC branches too.

Branch access is therefore a selling point.
    Well, there's no banking facilities in my local M&S, and the local HSBC Branch closed last year and moved 15 miles up the road. The nearest M&S with banking facilities is a 20 minute drive on a good day, and an hour in a traffic jam on normal days.
  • Is anyone else having issues with M&S Banks online portal?

I've been with them less than a month and every time I've logged on I've had an error message of some kind.

Just today if I try to login via Firefox I get raw HTML displayed. Chromium worked. but they I got an error message going to check my balance, and then another error trying to set up a standing order.

this is on top of getting an error and losing an entire message, trying to communicate with them about a payment I am 99% sure I made but seemed to have disappeared into the ether.

Also the characters not allowed in their messages are (){}"%&-:/ (which is very annoying when you want to send them web addresses that their chat bot sends you to, that are broken).

So again, is this just me?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2018 at 4:19PM
    In my experience the M&S account is very slow to open (same as with any bank using HSBC systems), but things chug along and get sorted eventually. Had a positive experience calling customer support to activate the debit card - went through to an agent almost immediately - but can't say if this is normal or not. The internet banking is clunky, and I'm not a fan of having to use the only authentication to log in - I wouldn't mind having to use it only to set up new payments, but having to use it to log in means I can't always log in to check things. The app is kinda pointless, as all you can really do is check your balance, or make payments to accounts you've already paid before.

The switch went well though and without issue, as did the opening of the regular saver. Depending on how much savings I have floating around in 10 months time, I'll probably keep it open to renew the regular saver. The gift card took a while to arrive, but it was just on the cusp of the 30 days they suggest it will take. I don't plan to use it as my regular account so I can't say how well things go for everyday banking, but no issues so far.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You should also apply for a HSBC account & credit card
    or vice versa

long …. long ….wait
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    I had an e-mail on 23rd August saying i'd been accepted for M&S account, about 10-14 days after i'd applied.....still no debit card or paperwork (other than the signature forms that I returned 2 weeks ago!!!)

It's slow going that's for sure. Made me LOL that, in their email, they welcomed me to "New Fashioned Banking" ha ha ha!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I had an e-mail on 23rd August saying i'd been accepted for M&S account, about 10-14 days after i'd applied.....still no debit card or paperwork (other than the signature forms that I returned 2 weeks ago!!!)

It's slow going that's for sure. Made me LOL that, in their email, they welcomed me to "New Fashioned Banking" ha ha ha!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    lol.. yes.... I'd love to know what lies behind their claim of the phrase... but nothing about the experience of joining them suggests new fashioned to me... like I say... it all feels very Miss Marple. You've got some more waits to come I'd suggest although it seems you got a decision on account acceptance quicker than me. 7 weeks total to join and switch.. doing everything as fast as I could... and assuming switch does indeed complete 1st Oct.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Applied for a current account over a week ago...have not heard a single peep from them. Not one single email acknowledging my application for telling me whether or not I've been successful. Seems like it's a common thing, judging by this thread!

In contrast, I opened a Halifax account, switched and got paid my switch bonus all in the space of less than one week!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Applied for a current account over a week ago...have not heard a single peep from them. Not one single email acknowledging my application for telling me whether or not I've been successful. Seems like it's a common thing, judging by this thread!

In contrast, I opened a Halifax account, switched and got paid my switch bonus all in the space of less than one week!
    17 days for me to get approved for reference. And 7 weeks for total process inc switch. Given that we're in the era where really you should be able to get a bank account opened and a switch done in a couple of weeks... I'm still bewildered by their claim of "New Fashioned Banking"... it has to be the most misleading or inaccurate claim ever..lol
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    Help needed!!! I opted for Internet Banking during original application, but didn't set up any username, password or such like at the time (I don't think it gave the option at that point). In today's post i've received the M&S pass widget, but not had the debit card and PIN yet.

I know the account number and sort code, as this was shown on one of the signature forms i returned.

What order do things need to happen in....i don't have yet the "Security number" they refer to. Does this come by post too?. Do i need to wait for yet more post, before i can set up internet banking. I'm guessing i need the PIN for the widget to work.

I just want to be able to set up the switch-in ASAP. (As i really want the gift card for Xmas shopping - or buying Easter Eggs at this rate!!!)

This is SUCH a long winded process.....all this to access a 5% Reg Saver too....I ask you!!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 September 2018 at 2:51PM
    I came on here to ask a question as I was thinking of transferring my Barclays main current account for the obvious benefits but these (above) comments have put me off. What I was going to ask was, when you switch do they take care of all your payments into the account i.e my state pension and personal pension get paid into my Barclays account. Will it then be paid into my M&S account automatically or do I have to arrange that myself?

Also do the direct debits already have to be in place before the switch or can you set them up after? It doesn't make it clear.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure