PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Post Forwarding

Simple question really, but Google is not helping. I get the odd bit of post for the (long ago) previous owner of my house which I'm quite happy to forward by crossing through the address, writing in the new one, and shoving it into a post box.

However, a friend has suggested that the PO no longer offer this FOC service. Is that correct?

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why would the Post office provide a free forwarding service.
    Just put return to sender and stick back in the post box
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As far as I'm aware they do, but what does it matter? Either they deliver it free of charge to the new addresss, or they deliver it to the new address and ask for the excess postage.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There is some official advice - although it doesn't answer your question, I would follow it.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5156/~/ive-received-someone-elses-mail
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    robatwork wrote: »
    There is some official advice - although it doesn't answer your question, I would follow it.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5156/~/ive-received-someone-elses-mail
    Returning to sender seems rather unhelpful if you know where the recipient is. Though given the OP refers to the "long ago" owner, I wonder if they know that the forwarding address is still correct?
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    Why would the Post office provide a free forwarding service.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but this has been in place for as long as I can remember.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mufi wrote: »
    Simple question really, but Google is not helping. I get the odd bit of post for the (long ago) previous owner of my house which I'm quite happy to forward by crossing through the address, writing in the new one, and shoving it into a post box.

I sent on things that arrived in the months after we moved in; after that, I returned to sender.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    mufi wrote: »
    However, a friend has suggested that the PO no longer offer this FOC service. Is that correct?

Nope. Royal Mail will still forward unopened letters to any UK address. Stick a label over the old address and pen the new one in. Make sure the recipient's name is still showing.

Only post that is being forwarded overseas, to a different person, or has been opened needs a stamp on it.

I regularly forward stacks of letters on to my Sis, and neither of us have had to pay for the privilege.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Very many thanks, FreeBear. You have answered my question.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure