PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone
    Fingers crossed Money that you get decent neighbours and you can crack open the champagne:)
    Your beef sounds lovely Farway, I do love a piece of thick toast spread with dripping:D
    Sensible decision re the chicken PN - sometimes needs must despite it going against the grain. I hate food waste but made myself ditch some very elderly cous cous & wild rice earlier. I don't bother too much about BBE dates but 4 years + OOD was pushing it. :o
    I'm never convinced Autumn is the best time to sell as house, certainly the market which is usually quite good here, dies off from early Autumn until Feb/March. Personally unless I really need to sell for quickly I'd be taking it off the market and restarting in the New Year rather than dropping the price. (I appreciate house buying/selling works very differently in England from what I'm used to.)
    The wind has finally died back but we are still on weather warnings for flooding for another 24 hours. The rain has been torrential and the bottom of my garden is like a swimming pool. I think I might need my wellies to do the bin run tomorrow. :eek:
    Dry goods shelf has now been tidied,:) I have rather a lot of lentils.......... :o:o
    Floors are all spick and span though how long for remains to be seen, still they'll be fine for Sunday as my friend's will be bringing their two no doubt muddy/sandy dogs as they tend to take them to the nearby beach to tire them out before they arrive. Time for a large glass of red I think ;):D
    Although it's not cold I'm definitely craving wintery food today due to the horrible weather. I had a bowl of rib-sticking pea & ham soup for lunch and for dinner I'm having sausage & mash with onions, mushrooms, peas & gravy.:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Windy day today, but we got away without any rain :) the wind blew over my mini greenhouse this morning luckily it was empty of any plants, it very nearly blocked my back door, I did think I was going to have to go next door to get into my garden as my back gate was locked but managed to make enough room to push my arm through and inch it out of the way. I'm hoping no neighbours were watching as I hoisted it up only in my dressing grown and moved my blueberries pots to try and wedge it against the fence so the catflap was left free. It was new this year and is bigger than my old one just a little taller than the fence so allows the wind behind it :cool: I'll either have to find a way to tie it down or find a new home for it :think: the whole time I was being watched by his lordship from under a bush at the back of the garden he wasn't happy about the noise it made, not a good start for the day for either me or a skittish cat :rotfl:

I was once told Easter was a good time to put a property on the market as people go house hunting over the four day weekend. I think it depends to the property market in your area, not sure what it is like here now but at one stage three bedroom houses were almost selling the same day and open houses was the norm. I was told it was a nightmare if you wanted to buy one as they were telling buyers to put in sealed bids and houses were going for tens of thousands above listed price :eek:

Lunch was LO chilli with a jacket potato and dinner was the last of the fish fingers I brought last week I was trying to make a little room in the freezer :rotfl: just served with LO green beans and tartare sauce. I think as soon as I turn my back someone is adding food to my freezer :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 7:49AM
    :rotfl: You got it PN:rotfl: re my house. But I've not got the wooden blinds/shutters - I tried - but they won't really "work" for the large picture windows a 1970s house has got and I couldn't find anyone in the area that does them anyway. But yes - my house has been called "London style" and I couldnt wait to rip out the "office blinds" that so many houses here have (which I positively loathe).

The funny thing is that a couple of people have commented that my garden is now "rather Welsh". I think what they mean by that - is (carefully cultivated) element of semi-wildness:cool:

Caron - the champagne has already been drunk. You didn't think it would last long did you?:rotfl: I decided to toast that neighbour having gone - plus do my "positive thinking" for suitable replacement. I'm mentally giving it until the end of next week for it to be openly "on the market". I'd give it till the end of this week in my own area and I've added an extra week to that - to allow for this being a slower area.

If it's not "on the market" publicly by 22 October - then I will start getting a bit concerned in case it's a private sale (ie might be someone like the nfh).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    Windy day today .... mini greenhouse .... very nearly blocked my back door, I did think I was going to have to go next door to get into my garden ..... I'm hoping no neighbours were watching as I hoisted it up only in my dressing grown and moved my blueberries pots to try and wedge it against the fence so the catflap was left free.
    Awwww, yet LOL :)

CFO = dealing with all problems alone ...

I was once told Easter was a good time to put a property on the market as people go house hunting over the four day weekend. I think it depends to the property market in your area,
    You're right, every area is different. I spoke to agents in May when I first decided and they said "now ... or August". So I fannied about for 2-3 months gettting it market ready... but the market's changed across the country. It's not that I got my timing wrong as such.

I find "just after Xmas" seems to be popular too in areas I've lived in.
    I think as soon as I turn my back someone is adding food to my freezer :rotfl:

Send them over the mine ....

My freezer's full of "things I kept/chopped/froze" rather than "attractive looking packages of supermarket food and frozen goodies". I don't like pawing through all those bits and bobs of random items in freezer bags.... it's disheartening. I don't want ingredients, I am looking for INSTANT DINNER.

:)

Today, here, it's started off VERY windy - and it's just started chucking it down.

I have no sausage rolls .... I want sausage rolls....

Breakfast will be the final two crumpets, as that's easiest.
  • PasturesNew
    Big haul alert :)

Firstly I chucked all that chicken stuff. It hurt.... it hurt DEEP .... as I've always had the rule "you chose it, you cooked it, now you have to eat it ALL, no waste". But it's officially .... gone :)

I figured if I got my 4rse into gear and dragged myself to the shops soon after they opened, I'd stand the best chance of spotting a red sticker (50% off).

From 4ldi I bought 2.5Kg English baking potatoes*, a pack of 2 cheese/onion breaded crispbakes*, a 4-pack of long breaded fish fillets*, 4-pack of beans, tin of mushy peas, pack of crumpets, pack of 4 oven bottom muffins, pack of chocolate digestives . Total cost £4.96.
    *=red sticker.

Then it was off to L1dl as they've got choc spread on special offer and I'm almost out of chips. In there I just bought 1.5Kg chips, a bag of hash browns (I rarely find those in there), a jar of chocolate spread. Cost £2.49.

Lunch today will be: Breaded fish fillet with chips and mushy peas :)

Loads of meals there.... loads. there's at least eight jacket spud/bean meals... and four fish/chips meals .... and two crispbake/chip meals.

I won't starve :)

I'll have to freeze three of the fish fillets and both crispbakes.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning gang!

Right after I posted yesterday morning, my agency called, asking if I could go and look after a Year 3 class for the day. The same school as I went to a fortnight ago. A lovely school, but very "high church catholic", which, as a committed atheist, sits a little weird with me. Especially when I have to make up a lunch time prayer, with the sign of the cross! Amazed myself by just about knowing the Hail Mary in assembly as well! The only catholic I ever knew was my grandma, who was very lapsed, and I'm certain she didn't teach it to me. So no idea where I picked that up from.

From there, I got an hour at home, then went off to tutoring session #1, then went to meet my new lad straight after. He was described as "a bit autistic"... Actually the most autistic lad I've met in a long time. I hope he'll settle as we get to know each other, but I think it'll be a challenge... I did wonder if it's in his best interests, but parents are VERY KEEN to proceed with it as a weekly event, so, if it's not me doing it, they'll just give their money to someone else! So I might as well. I'll just go as gently as I can. Luckily he'll be my "once a week kid", as opposed to my "4x a week kid". My 4x kid is also special needs, but very personable, and good fun.

In other news, apart from coffee with a friend tomorrow, nothing else planned. It's been a busy week, so looking forward to some chill time.
    I've just returned from Waitrose, with my free coffee and a pizza for tonight. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    ....described as "a bit autistic"... ...
    You probably know ... I'm one of those :)
    Aspergers.
  • You probably know ... I'm one of those :)
    Aspergers.

As is my older sister. :) Team Aspie! She was kind of hard to grow up with (could be quite violent), but I wouldn't change her.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    :eek::eek:Brambling, no wonder your cat was less than impressed. I hope you manage to secure it.

Sounds like a challenge flubberyzing but hopefully the lad will settle once he gets to know you:)

Glad you did the deed and binned the chicken PN, :cool::)

And still it rains.... At this rate I'll be looking up ark building instructions on the internet:rotfl:. The wind has died back so hopefully the rain will to. It's much cooler than it's been today to. I sploshed my way to the bin earlier and I think that's as far as I'll be going today. I have my "to do" list written with all I need to do for tomorrow, my grey matter is so scrambled these days that without a list I'll no doubt forget something crucial and don't want to be hareing about at the last minute and miss spending time with my guests. My plan is to do everything food prep wise that can be done in advance today so I just need to make the pud and finish off the rest tomorrow. :cool::)

I'm going with flow meals wise today, I'll probably have soup again for lunch and dinner will be something easy once I get my feet clear.
  • Yep...still blowing a hooley here and I'm feeling gloomy that I've got to go out this afternoon for a voluntary work stint. I might chicken out and take a taxi there - we'll see. Fortunately the friend I'm going out with tonight rang up and announced she'll be picking me up (rather than having me walk there in this weather). I didn't refuse:). I could buy myself dinner there - but it's a bit later than I would like and I daresay I'll be "off piste" on the diet front buying myself a couple of drinks anyway.

Flubberyzing - I took that phrase as being a distinct underestimate. Well - it's all money into the bank account.

Bit unnerving to have to do a Catholic prayer when one is an atheist. I find I "know" things I've never learnt sometimes in that respect. Church of England is understandable - as I've had plenty of that as a child and so it surfaces from memory. But I've had the experience of going round a Catholic church (when I'm totally unfamiliar with it) abroad with a boyfriend one time and I was explaining everything to him. Fortunately - he didn't ask me how I knew - because he'd have been laughing if I'd told him why I "knew" it in my opinion. Well - as someone that believes in reincarnation - I'm bound to have been a Catholic more than once and so I suppose it just surfaced from some VERY long-ago memory #shrugs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback