Prepayment electric meter

(First posting) go easy!
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to have a electric pre-payment meter removed. My supplier is British Gas for both gas & electric.
I have looked around the comparison site and found I could save around £144.00 per year, but that would mean the removal of the PP meter.
Wife still wants to keep it. :confused:

Comments

• barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    (First posting) go easy!
    Can anyone tell me how much it costs to have a electric pre-payment meter removed. My supplier is British Gas for both gas & electric.
    I have looked around the comparison site and found I could save around £144.00 per year, but that would mean the removal of the PP meter.

do they charge? :( i hope not because my son wants his removed also so he can go by d d :)
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    hi

its free to have the meters exchanged

BG will do a credit check and if all is ok they will make an appointment

prepayment meters are more expensive as they cost more to maintain, this cost is passed onto customers :(
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    (First posting) go easy!

I was just coming here to ask the same question!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    British Gas will not change the meter, but the company that owns the infastructure will do the job for you for free, takes up to 8 weeks. You need to contact BG in the first instance though.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is also something I was going to ask on here as I have pre-paid meters for both gas (BG) and electric (Powergen) and have found I could save a fortune if I went to a billing method.

The only problem is though, I live in rented accommodation so presumably would have to ask my landlord's permission first, so does anyone have any experience of switching in a rented property or is all down to the individual landlord?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• The only problem is though, I live in rented accommodation so presumably would have to ask my landlord's permission first, so does anyone have any experience of switching in a rented property or is all down to the individual landlord?

Im glad I just read this as I am just about to ask Scottish Hydro Electric to come and remove my prepaymant meter as ive found out that if I pay by D.D then I will save at least 6% of what im paying now in tokens! I hadnt thought of getting my landlords permission at all. It didnt even enter my mind. Now ive got the dilemma of either just going ahead and not asking them, or asking and risking them refusing permission. BUT they probably dont even know that we've got a prepayment meter as the last tennant got it put in to pay off arrears and that was a long time ago (we've been here 10 years!) and the landlord has never even been here to inspect the property, he ignores our requests for repairs and only ever contacts us if the rent is slightly late or is being increased! What to do????
  • firrybabe
    firrybabe Posts: 122 Forumite
    I got my prepayment meters changed recently.

British Gas require a credit check first and will the write to you with the appointment details. They send someone from Transco to come change the gas meter.

Elec meter with powergen is straightforward, you ring them up, they sort out an appointment and meter can be changed within a fortnight.

Hope this helps
  • i am sooo glad i did change to dd! you will notice the change right away i actually rang supplier first and they estimated how much i would be paying a month. which is about £18 and when i was on pp cards it was £20 so it saves you a bit! and if you have both gas and electric from the same supplier you then get a discount for direct debit. if you collect tesco clubcard points you get points on your bill too.
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills