Seeking advise regarding data breach in a credit report

Please help. My data has been breached by a credit search agency. Someone has managed to gain access online to my credit report. Whilst the company have said that the account is now closed it's too late as it has been used to purchase goods in my name. This has destroyed my credit rating. This is Creditwise at Capital One. They are not able to tell me how someone breached their security protocols. By accessing this data the perpetrators have managed to get goods and services in my name (store cards, phones. credit cards worth thousands of pounds.

What can I do? I have contacted the financial onbudsman but what else ??

Comments

• What do you mean?

Do you mean someone has applied for credit products in your name and they’ve appeared on your credit report?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My data has been breached by a credit search agency

They are not able to tell me how someone breached their security protocols
    You need to be clearer about who's breached what.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    Liz_Maru wrote: »
    Please help. My data has been breached by a credit search agency. Someone has managed to gain access online to my credit report. Could you please clarify exactly how you know this? Whilst the company have said that the account is now closed it's too late as it has been used to purchase goods in my name. Which account has been used for this purpose? This has destroyed my credit rating. Please clarify exactly how this has resulted in your credit rating being destroyed. This is Creditwise at Capital One. They are not able to tell me how someone breached their security protocols. By accessing this data the perpetrators have managed to get goods and services in my name (store cards, phones. credit cards worth thousands of pounds. You are lucky that your credit history was good enough to permit this. However, even if the perpetrators managed to get hold of the personal details shown on your credit files. how did they find out things necessary for applications, such as employer name and address, salary, home and/or work and/or mobile phone number etc and how did they get their hands on the store cards, credit cards etc without access to your post?
    What can I do? I have contacted the financial onbudsman What do you expect the financial ombudsman to do? but what else ??
    If you could answer the questions posed above it would greatly assist in helping you.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ignore the score as its irrelevant, what entries are on your credit file ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Ignore the score as its irrelevant, what entries are on your credit file ?
    What are you talking about??? The OP is talking about a breach on their file. They are potentially being defrauded.

Do you guys just have a macro that just blurts out "Your score isn't real" to every single post??
  • beany_bot wrote: »
    What are you talking about??? The OP is talking about a breach on their file. They are potentially being defrauded.

Do you guys just have a macro that just blurts out "Your score isn't real" to every single post??

No - it's called dissuading people from look at non-relevant information
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    !!! wrote: »
    No - it's called dissuading people from look at non-relevant information
    the OP said

"Please help. My data has been breached by a credit search agency. Someone has managed to gain access online to my credit report. Whilst the company have said that the account is now closed it's too late as it has been used to purchase goods in my name. "

And the response blurted out was "Ignore the score as its irrelevant"

Talk about irrelevant mindless regurgitation.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,681
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    @OP - the CRAs only report accounts/information that have been opened using your details, they don't provide the products or this information themselves. It's far more likely that someone has gotten your personal information from elsewhere and used it to apply for products in your name (ie. identity theft). These products/accounts will then appear on your credit report as per standard reporting procedures.

First things first is to protect yourself - report it as fraud to Action Fraud, as well as the three CRAs (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). Then contact the lender the account was opened with and let them know that it is fraud, providing them with the Action Fraud reference. You might also want to consider a protective CIFAS registration. Some good info can also be found here: https://www.identitytheft.org.uk/can-help-reporting-identity-theft/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure