MSE News: Nuisance calls: TalkTalk to block numbers as MPs demand action

Options
2»

Comments

• i hate nuisance calls!

Yes I am reg on TPS etc, one new trick which I would like to share with the public.... When they call, be polite and say YES to what ever they are selling. Take notes of company name etc. Because you will need this information to complain to OFCOM

After an hour, ask if he/she is on commission? Then state you have just wasted an hour of their time. Then ask agent to ensure your details are taken off their database. Naturally, you need to have the time to waste yourself.

I heard of these nuisance calls operates even on Christmas day. What horrible company to work for. do you really want to buy from them - NOOO thank you.

Just my two cents, together we could make this World a better place.
  • jmdnnlln
    jmdnnlln Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Steve059 wrote: »
    I've just had a call from 0207 059 8951. I didn't answer it, as I now don't answer any calls from anonymous, withheld or unrecognised numbers.

However, a little bit of online research revealed it to be a sub-contractor of, of all people, TalkTalk, selling account add-ons.

TT are my telephone & broadband provider, but my marketing preferences have always been set to no calls from TT or third parties.

I've e-mailed them. I will keep a better note of any further calls. I suppose that I will have to start answering them to note what, if anything, is said.

It would be ironic if they have to block one of their own numbers.
    Just a thought on this subject....TALKTALK are now allowing customers to block last number calls, AND anonymous callers....for free!
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    jmdnnlln wrote: »
    Just a thought on this subject....TALKTALK are now allowing customers to block last number calls, AND anonymous callers....for free!

Yeah, fantastic news pity its just 10 callers you can block (no reason for it to not be unlimited).

Not decided on blocking withheld as I worry a tiny bit about emergencies.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/manage-nuisance-calls/how-do-i-block-unwanted-callers
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    Not decided on blocking withheld as I worry a tiny bit about emergencies.

A wise move as According To BT Using Anonymous Call Rejection can cause you lots of problems.

" Many public services such as the police force, the DSS, hospitals, fire brigades and public utilities will not be able to contact customers who use Anonymous Call Rejection.
    This is due to the configuration of their private switchboards. This problem will also affect many UK businesses. We're trying to find a solution for these problems."
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    Yeah, fantastic news pity its just 10 callers you can block (no reason for it to not be unlimited).
    I'm not sure it would help much, only around 15% of my junk calls come from numbers that have called before. The vast majority are INTERNATIONAL, WITHHELD or UNAVAILABLE.
    Stompa
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just ordered this landline phone on ebay.

BT6500

It has a number blocking function for incoming calls. :cool:

Hope it does the job. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills