Useless Alliance & Leicester e-Saver

Have recently set up this account and today go online to set up my direct debit from my current account. I discover that I cannot do this and have to ring up to be told
1. Alliance & Leicester do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe" (a lot safer than their recommended Explorer)
2. They don't allow regular direct debits to be set up online as "we need to check it's right" (isn't that my problem?)

What a joke. Basically it's a telephone savings account mis-sold as an internet savings account.

:mad:
Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

Comments

• The DD should have been set-up when you applied online for the account. As I recall you even get a copy of the DD agreement to print as you do this. The account takes a long time to set up. They don't seem efficient at all. My ID didn't arrive in the post but my PIN did. I phoned to get the ID once a load of security questions had been asked. More than a week later I realised it still hadn't come so I used their secure messaging to ask where it was. My coincidence, it arrived next morning. I also got several replies to the messages I left online most not answering in full, but together did. Confusing as hell - you wonder what goes on there too - are they confused?

I only have a quid in it - just there in case I think it might be good enough to transfer anything to - long as I don't want to take it out again any time soon.:rolleyes:
  • cos69
    cos69 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    ..... 1. Alliance & Leicester do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe" (a lot safer than their recommended Explorer) ......

Not sure why you should be having problems with Firefox - I use it to manage my A&L accounts without any problems.
    "How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" - John F Kennedy 1962
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    cos69 wrote: »
    Not sure why you should be having problems with Firefox - I use it to manage my A&L accounts without any problems.
    I also use Firefox with my A&L accounts with no problems.
  • No Problems with Firefox also
    Have you tried Safari ?
    https://www.apple.com/safari/download/
  • I also used Firefox without problems for the short miserable period I was with them.

The only online banking I have found that conflicts is Eggs Money Manager or whatever they call it. I can't use it with Firefox and I will not use it with IE.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks to you all for your replies. I did set up a DD when I opened the A&L accounts, and this is displayed on my internet banking for my Co-op current account. But I haven't set an amount to be transferred regularly yet and can't manage this on the A&L savings accounts net banking. The message says "your registered accounts cannot display DDs online". I wondered if this meant DDs out and not DDs in so rang A&L to check ...

In respect of Firefox, I seem to be able to access most areas of the A&L internet banking, but the "payments/ transfers" page won't load. I presently have the pop up and ad blockers disabled so it's not that; the page loads fine using Explorer at work. BUT I have Firefox because it's safer for important stuff like online banking, and because I can get support from more IT savvy family members!
  • Mine show the same as yours. Think this site may also be for other accounts such as current accounts, which it would be reasonable to expect to be able to set DD's. What did A&L say when you phoned?

Doesn't look as though the e-saver 2 will accept set-up of regular payments.

IE and FF works equally well on the site

Edit: Think you'd be better with their Online Tracker - that does allow regular monthly payments in without needing to do it manually every month
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mine show the same as yours. Think this site may also be for other accounts such as current accounts, which it would be reasonable to expect to be able to set DD's. What did A&L say when you phoned?

Alliance & Leicester customer services spoke to their IT guys and reported back that they do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe"!! And also that whilst it is possible to set up DDs into an e-saver by telephone, it's not on the net.
  • yeah i use firefox fine with a & l pages fine also

and regarding the e saver account i also had the same problem and was not able to make regular payments into the account from my current account (which was the whole point i wanted it!!!lol)

so what i did was simply create a new payment to transfer on the 26th of every month (pay day) for the next year from current account to e saver.. so now i have 12 pending payments of £150 to go into the savings account on the 26th of every month. takes a few minutes to set up but got around the problem of the site not allowing regular payments.

couple months into my savings scheme and all's working fine, £300 in the savings account, still 12 payments over the next year pending :)
  • shadow13 wrote: »
    so what i did was simply create a new payment to transfer on the 26th of every month (pay day) for the next year from current account to e saver.. so now i have 12 pending payments of £150 to go into the savings account on the 26th of every month. takes a few minutes to set up but got around the problem of the site not allowing regular payments.
    Was that a payment arrangement you set up from your non A&L bank account? If so you'd have needed to know the account number and sort code. I don't think I know my A&L sort code and the account number is 11 digits long. Do/will A&L provide these details on request?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure