Home Insurance - Claims Advice

Hi,

I'm after advice.

We always discuss changing home insurance to avoid being stung with high renewal premiums. We I did just that, after 4 years with provider A and moved to provider B. Great I saved £200...

Now the down side... I recently discovered some cracks in the wall after having some rennovations done. Turns out that when the extension was built 19 years ago (yes 19 years ago) before we owned the house, it was built on some large tree roots which have now rotted away and the extension needs underpinning at a cost of £8k per side.

Contacted my new insurance provider B (having just moved to them recently) - their reply, sorry there is an 8 week cooling off period where structural work isn't covereed on new policies. My original provider A of course - sorry you're not with us anymore, not our responsibility.

So they are playing off against each other - A says it's B and B says try A. So turns out moving my house insurance to save £200 might end up costing me £16k as two sides need underpinning and neither accept the claim.

Any advice... ?

How can home insurance have a period where no one effectively covers structural issues ? It's like a no mans land where you're not covered.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport