Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,198Posts
    • 1,336Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Which console?
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    Which console? 16th Apr 18 at 3:53 PM
    Easy question (I hope) - when my Xbox 360 finally gives up the ghost, what should I replace it with?

I'm only an occasional gamer so I don't need the latest super-duper version but I'm thinking PS4 or Xbox One? More importantly, why?

Everyone I've asked who has an Xbox says stay with Xbox as it's familiar and it's backwards compatible but everyone who has a PS4 says it's more than just a console.

Ooh decisions, decisions.
Page 3
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 27th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    AAARRRGGGHHH !!

Yes it IS 100% impossible - I'm not being rude , its just that people like yourself keep coming out with comments like that above.

I have explained why it is 100% impossible, so for you to respond in the way that you have, please pad out your comment and correct me and tell me how it is even 1% possible - because you are stating that as fact without any explanation.

I live and breath this stuff - I know what I'm talking about !!

I have given technical explanation as to how it is not atall possible.
    Please tell me where I am wrong
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm sure if someone tried hard enough, eventualy they'd find a way to get malware onto an Xbox.

Chill the eff out though dude, who cares even if people online are trying to tell you that grass isn't green and the sky isn't blue? You don't need to freak out about it.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 27th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I'm not freaking out - I'm telling you facts

You are posting opinions

And yes it does mean it is impossible how many times do I have to say it and explain why

Eventually someone will work out how to jailbreak the xbone - and then if you jailbreak your console of course you can get malware.
    But you would have to physically alter your console- being aware of the risks.

As the xbox comes of the box - malware is impossible
    No one will ever ever ever be able to sneak malware onto it, you would have to modify it yourself to allow malware on.

BTW - people have been trying for 3 years to develop a jtag hack but its just not going to happen because they would have to find a way to leave the guest environment and enter the game OS or the APP OS - and gain privilege escalation to the hypervisor
    Last edited by AndyPix; 27-04-2018 at 7:48 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 15,290 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware. I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk? Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 28th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,256 Thanks
    motorguy
    Another consideration is Games With Gold, for around 40 a year you get 4 games a month, 2 xbox one game and 2 360 games (backwards compatible).
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    You get free games even month too with the PS equivalent though?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-plus-for-may-beyond-two-souls-ps4-rayman-legends-ps4-risen-3-titan-lords-ps3-eat-them-ps3-king-oddball-ps-vita-furmins-ps-vita-2931018

Beyond: Two Souls (PS4)
    Rayman Legends (PS4)
    Risen 3: Titan Lords (PS3)
    Eat Them (PS3)
    King Oddball (PS Vita)
    Furmins (PS Vita)
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 28th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 10,256 Thanks
    motorguy
    Relative to the thread in hand, i've just "invested" in a PS4, first time in easily 10 years i've bought a SONY games console, having ran various XBoxes over that time.

Got this deal from Tescos....

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-500gb-black-console-god-of-war-wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-doom-259-tesco-direct-2930711

PS4 500GB Black Console
    God of war
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    Doom

All for 259. I'd 13.50 of Tesco vouchers from the last time i bought a console off them so 245.50 delivered.

Also bought Gran Turismo Sport off of Ebay brand new for 17 and i'd a 5 Nectar points voucher so got it for 12.

No particular need for it at all but will see what its like and see how it all operates within the Playstation Universe these days.

Loads of offers on Playstation Plus games to chose from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/golden-week-sale-at-playstation-psn-store-us-and-canada-gravity-rush-yakuza-kiwami-persona-5-final-fantasy-xv-hackers-memory-and-more-plus-totally-digital-sale-2930460

Worth keeping an eye on HUKD for the special offers
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 28th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 15,290 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Relative to the thread in hand, i've just "invested" in a PS4, first time in easily 10 years i've bought a SONY games console, having ran various XBoxes over that time.

Got this deal from Tescos....

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-500gb-black-console-god-of-war-wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-doom-259-tesco-direct-2930711

PS4 500GB Black Console
    God of war
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    Doom

All for 259. I'd 13.50 of Tesco vouchers from the last time i bought a console off them so 245.50 delivered.

Also bought Gran Turismo Sport off of Ebay brand new for 17 and i'd a 5 Nectar points voucher so got it for 12.

No particular need for it at all but will see what its like and see how it all operates within the Playstation Universe these days.

Loads of offers on Playstation Plus games to chose from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/golden-week-sale-at-playstation-psn-store-us-and-canada-gravity-rush-yakuza-kiwami-persona-5-final-fantasy-xv-hackers-memory-and-more-plus-totally-digital-sale-2930460

Worth keeping an eye on HUKD for the special offers
    Originally posted by motorguy
    If you havent had a sony for ages may i suggest the following games,
    Horizon zero dawn.
    Uncharted 4.
    Uncharted lost legacy.
    The last of us.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 30th Apr 18, 1:11 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware. I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk? Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    It's a question of flexibility - the tradeoff with the security of the Xbox is that it's much less flexible, you can only run what Microsoft allows you to run on it.

That said you can set up a virtual operating system on your PC as well, this runs within the host operating system but it's self contained so if the guest OS gets infected, it doesn't touch the host operating system and since the virtual OS is basically a file, you can easily roll it back. Frequently when people are testing scammers they give the scammers full access to the virtual operating system because they can trash that as much as they want but won't get anywhere.

The information AndyPix has given on Kodi and the Xbox One is entirely correct, if there was a security risk and Kodi was somehow able to have system level access to the Xbox One then Microsoft would immediately block it not for malware risks but because people could then use Kodi to jailbreak the Xbox One. There is no such vulnerability in Kodi so there is no risk to the Xbox One in using the application.

John
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 30th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware.?
    Because then you wouldnt be able to run anything on your computer that wasnt produced or lisenced by microsoft and there would be an uproar ..
    I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk?
    Not sure i understand that sentence
    Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?

They have - its called a virtual machine and its easy and free to install and set one up and has no access to the host operating system

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Last edited by AndyPix; 30-04-2018 at 9:21 AM.
    • kimcros
    • By kimcros 30th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kimcros
    I think, however, I prefer PS4 than xbox, I have the impression that the availability of games is greater
    • almillar
    • By almillar 30th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 7,469 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    almillar
    Chill the eff out though dude, who cares
    This is a money saving site.

donnajunkie is telling people to go and spend on a Fire Stick, when they can use an XBox One they may already have, because Kodi (or an extension) might break the XBox. You've been told, categorically, that it won't. The Fire Stick is not the safe option, it's simply a waste of money.

I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware
    Because they have to be open to doing so, very much stuff. The XBox, in this case, is more secure because it's more restricted.
    If I tried to sell you a computer, and told you you're only allowed to install things Microsoft approve, would you buy it?
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 30th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 15,290 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    This is a money saving site.

donnajunkie is telling people to go and spend on a Fire Stick, when they can use an XBox One they may already have, because Kodi (or an extension) might break the XBox. You've been told, categorically, that it won't. The Fire Stick is not the safe option, it's simply a waste of money.

?
    Originally posted by almillar
    I am not telling people to do anything. I just said what i would do rightly or wrongly.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 30th Apr 18, 9:40 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm sure if someone tried hard enough, eventualy they'd find a way to get malware onto an Xbox.
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex
    While technically it's not impossible in reality it's not going to happen for a number of reasons, the first being it's very difficult to compromise the Xbox One security to allow unsigned code to run. By separating the games and applications into their own operating systems which are kept apart from the system level operating system it makes an effective sandbox. Despite the Xbox One having been out for many years, no-one has managed to crack its security.

Of course in time that may well happen but that still wouldn't allow an app like Kodi to install malware. It's likely any exploit would be complex to install and unlikely to simply run within an app but even if it did, you'd never get such code into a game published on the Microsoft store. Microsoft are much stricter about what goes into their stores than Google with their Play store, the latter simply scan published apps to look for dodgy apps (although the bulk of Android malware comes from installing from outside the Play store) whereas Microsoft carefully check all submissions before they're allowed in. Any code to compromise the Xbox would be identified and the app rejected. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 were compromised to allow them to run unsigned code, neither had malware from official apps and even once the vulnerabilities were out in the wild weren't that easy to apply.

Even if you did come up with an exploit that could run within an app and managed to get it past Microsoft, it would still be worthless as the moment it was released Microsoft would block the app and patch any compromised Xboxes. That would make the window to infect Xbox Ones incredibly small which would severely limit potential for the number of infected victims and once infected, they'd be quickly patched. It makes no sense at all to even attempt that, if someone did produce a hack for the Xbox One it would be much more valuable to sell it on as tool to allow people to run pirated games on their Xbox One.

For those wanting to profit from malware there's much better pickings with Windows devices as recent large scale outbreaks such as Wannacry and NotPetya have shown. It's going to get worse now as criminals have realised using cryptocurrency miners as the payload is much more effective than cryptographic ransomware as the malware can sit quietly in the background earning guaranteed money.

Tl:dr - There's no risk of malware from installing Kodi on your Xbox One
    • almillar
    • By almillar 1st May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 7,469 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    almillar
    I am not telling people to do anything. I just said what i would do rightly or wrongly.
    OK then, but what you would do is based on assumptions you have made, which AndyPix has tried to explain to you are wrong.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 1st May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 15,290 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    OK then, but what you would do is based on assumptions you have made, which AndyPix has tried to explain to you are wrong.
    Originally posted by almillar
    People are able to listen to everyone's views and form their own opinion on what they wish to do. Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 1st May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    People are able to listen to everyone's views and form their own opinion on what they wish to do. Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.
    That doesn't justify your posts where you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the technology and post entirely fabricated information such as this:

No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do. I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.
    This is a general misunderstanding of Kodi anyway but it's completely wrong in regards to the Xbox One. It's your choice if you wish to make your own decisions based on ignorance and a complete refusal to understand any part of it but then to defend posting misleading and incorrect information to deliberately mislead users of this forum is very wrong.

John
    Last edited by Johnmcl7; 02-05-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 1st May 18, 11:43 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 15,290 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    That doesn't justify your posts where you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the technology and post entirely fabricated information such as this:

This is a general misunderstanding of Kodi anyway but it's completely wrong in regards to the Xbox One. It's your choice if you wish to make your own decisions based on ignorance and a complete refusal to understand any part of it but then to defend posting misleading and incorrect information to deliberately users of this forum is very wrong.

John
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    The builds people use provide illegally obtained viewing, movies currently on cinema etc and often get blocked by the powers that be. When reading terms of gadgets they often warn you may invalidate your warranty should you put something onto it that shouldnt be there. I dont think you saying its not on the system its on kodi would get around it if they are looking for an excuse to get out of fixing a fault that may well be totally unrelated to kodi and the build you use. I remember getting the ring of death on the 360 and they asked questions and if i had given the wrong answer i am sure they would have said tough its your own fault.
    Ultimately i can state opinions just like you can and have above. People can make their own mind up what to do.
    Last edited by donnajunkie; 01-05-2018 at 11:48 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 2nd May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    AndyPix
    When reading terms of gadgets they often warn you may invalidate your warranty should you put something onto it that shouldnt be there..

Kodi is fine to be there - have you not got that yet ?

Whichever way you choose to customise it with addons IT CANNOT AFFECT YOUR XBOX

Therefore is completely irrelevent as far as warranties are concerned.
    When they talk about stuff that's not meant to be there, they are referring to code not signed by microsoft ie - if you have jailbroken your console.

Why are you finding this so hard to understand
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 2nd May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ultimately i can state opinions just like you can and have above. .

You are the only one stating opinions - which are wrong.

I am stating facts
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 2nd May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Guys just leave it yeah. I don't think there's anything else anyone can add to this conversation to improve it, unless we go back to the main point of discussion which is which console is most suitable for the OP.

Personally, I find Playstation's games to be more satisfying, Uncharted and The Last Of Us etc are fantastic and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • almillar
    • By almillar 2nd May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 7,469 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    almillar
    Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.
    It would cost them money. Have a look at the name of this website again. Your view was based on incorrect information, and it's OK if you want to change it now...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,885Posts Today

8,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin