Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,064Posts
    • 1,180Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Which console?
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    Which console? 16th Apr 18 at 3:53 PM
    Easy question (I hope) - when my Xbox 360 finally gives up the ghost, what should I replace it with?

I'm only an occasional gamer so I don't need the latest super-duper version but I'm thinking PS4 or Xbox One? More importantly, why?

Everyone I've asked who has an Xbox says stay with Xbox as it's familiar and it's backwards compatible but everyone who has a PS4 says it's more than just a console.

Ooh decisions, decisions.
Page 2
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 19th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    So if legitimate and used legitimately, how is it a risk to your console?
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Theres no risk in that situation but most get it for builds and add ons that give you free movies etc.
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 19th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    Another consideration is Games With Gold, for around 40 a year you get 4 games a month, 2 xbox one game and 2 360 games (backwards compatible).
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 20th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    PS4's PlayStation plus has gone up to 50 a year, but can usually be purchased for less with vouchers etc. You get some free games each month, but most are dross IMO. You have to have the PS+ for online play, but you can play games without online access. Unfortunately, most games seem to be released and then need tons of downloadable content (DLC) or updates straight away, so you can't get that extra DLC without the internet.
    I've been PS2, 3, and now 4, but I honestly don't think it has any stand out features above any Xbox I've seen, although I do prefer a black console with blue lights, over anything green or white. The media side of PS4 is useful if you don't have an alternative, and we have all our photos backed up onto it.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Theres no risk in that situation but most get it for builds and add ons that give you free movies etc.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie

So please explain the risk to your console - even in that situation
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 23rd Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    So please explain the risk to your console - even in that situation
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    They are dodgy and theres always potential for issues when using that type of thing. Yeah, you may never have a problem. No matter how small i wouldnt risk it when i can just put any risk onto a cheap firestick. The purpose is to be able to watch on your tv right? The firestick enables this. Theres no need to put it onto a console.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 24th Apr 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    What issues ? What are you risking ??

Im not nip picking, im genuinly interested what you think the risk to your console is as i cant see one ..

It is simply a program, designed to run on xbox, running on xbox

Conversely to your statement, if you own an xbox, there is no need to put it on a firestick !!
    Last edited by AndyPix; 24-04-2018 at 9:25 AM.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 24th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    You could end up with Malware on your Xbox, basically.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 24th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You could end up with Malware on your Xbox, basically.
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex

No - No you could not.

Categorically 100% definitely not

Please educate yourself on the xbone OS/hypervisor architecture before coming out with silly comments like that
    Last edited by AndyPix; 24-04-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 24th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    What issues ? What are you risking ??

Im not nip picking, im genuinly interested what you think the risk to your console is as i cant see one ..

It is simply a program, designed to run on xbox, running on xbox

Conversely to your statement, if you own an xbox, there is no need to put it on a firestick !!
    No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do. I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 25th Apr 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty.

Please stop spouting this rubbish - of course they dont invalidate your warranty - good grief !!! where are you getting this stuff from ???

If the addons were malicious, the very very most they could do is corrupt your install of kodi its self - they have no ability whatsoever to affect your xbox - NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER TO AFFECT YOUR XBOX - said twice and in bold in the hope it gets through ..

and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do..

Nothing, they will do nothing - they have no ability to do anything - atall - i hope i am being clear here

In the miniscule risk that one of them misbehaves, uninstall kodi and its gone - all of it

I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low .
    But you are failing to understand that the risk is precisely ZERO - no risk atall - none

but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.

It isnt better - or worse - it is exactly the same - that is the point
    If you already own an xbox then why buy a firestick to put kodi on

In fact Kodi will run much much better on an xbox due to the vastly superior processing power

Your comment is like telling me why i am not arguing why it is better to run netflix on an xbox or a firestick - there is no arguement to make- because both have zero risk associated ..

For programs to run on an xbox, they have to be digitally signed by microsoft - that is a cold hard fact.
    It is impossible for malware to run on an xbox - and as i mentioned above, there is the nanovisor and dual operating systems too - You really need to educate yourself on these comments you are stating as fact, because someone might read them and believe you !!

I could go on forever , for example how is an addon for kodi supposed to affect the xbox system ? all it can do is interact with kodi

etc etc etc bored now
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 25th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Please stop spouting this rubbish - of course they dont invalidate your warranty - good grief !!! where are you getting this stuff from ???

If the addons were malicious, the very very most they could do is corrupt your install of kodi its self - they have no ability whatsoever to affect your xbox - NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER TO AFFECT YOUR XBOX - said twice and in bold in the hope it gets through ..

Nothing, they will do nothing - they have no ability to do anything - atall - i hope i am being clear here

In the miniscule risk that one of them misbehaves, uninstall kodi and its gone - all of it

But you are failing to understand that the risk is precisely ZERO - no risk atall - none

It isnt better - or worse - it is exactly the same - that is the point
    If you already own an xbox then why buy a firestick to put kodi on

In fact Kodi will run much much better on an xbox due to the vastly superior processing power

Your comment is like telling me why i am not arguing why it is better to run netflix on an xbox or a firestick - there is no arguement to make- because both have zero risk associated ..

For programs to run on an xbox, they have to be digitally signed by microsoft - that is a cold hard fact.
    It is impossible for malware to run on an xbox - and as i mentioned above, there is the nanovisor and dual operating systems too - You really need to educate yourself on these comments you are stating as fact, because someone might read them and believe you !!

I could go on forever , for example how is an addon for kodi supposed to affect the xbox system ? all it can do is interact with kodi

etc etc etc bored now
    You seem very keen for people to put dodgy stuff onto their consoles. You almost seem to be ordering people do so with your tone. You say its 100% safe and you may well be right, at least for now but what if someone unscrupulous decides to try and work around it and succeeds in the future?
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 26th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    No - No you could not.

Categorically 100% definitely not

Please educate yourself on the xbone OS/hypervisor architecture before coming out with silly comments like that
    It's very unlikely, but it's not 100% impossible.

Also, there's no need to be so rude.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 26th Apr 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You seem very keen for people to put dodgy stuff onto their consoles. You almost seem to be ordering people do so with your tone. You say its 100% safe and you may well be right, at least for now but what if someone unscrupulous decides to try and work around it and succeeds in the future?

THERE IS NOTHING DODGY ABOUT KODI.
    And I don't care what people put on their consoles, but I do want people to be armed with correct knowledge, and what you are saying is 100% incorrect.

You are not putting the addons on your xbox, you are putting them on your kodi build - why cant you understand this.
    There is nothing to work around , the kodi addons have no idea that your xbox even exists and have no way to affect it at all - not now not ever it is technically impossible

Xbox is not like a PC where any software can run.

Any software that is to run on xbox has to be digitally signed by Microsoft

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR MALWARE TO RUN ON YOUR XBOX

The addons could screw up your kodi build - but they cannot affect your xbox in any way shape or form - my face is getting blue trying to explain this to you

Iv explained as best I can - I'm out now this is getting frustrating
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 26th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    It's very unlikely, but it's not 100% impossible.

Also, there's no need to be so rude.
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex

AAARRRGGGHHH !!

Yes it IS 100% impossible - I'm not being rude , its just that people like yourself keep coming out with comments like that above.

I have explained why it is 100% impossible, so for you to respond in the way that you have, please pad out your comment and correct me and tell me how it is even 1% possible - because you are stating that as fact without any explanation.

I live and breath this stuff - I know what I'm talking about !!

I have given technical explanation as to how it is not atall possible.
    Please tell me where I am wrong
    Last edited by AndyPix; 26-04-2018 at 2:05 PM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 26th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Its interesting that you guarantee no risk at all considering when you put it onto other devices you have to select the from unknown sources thing and then get warned it could be a Risk.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 26th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Unknown sources are just that - unknown
    Other devices can run stuff from unknown sources, and duly notify the risk (of unknown sources - not kodi per-se)

However as you cant download stuff onto xbox from unknown sources - your point is moot

Look, I appreciate your sentiment here, and I blame the media for overhype that has everyone think they can get viruses on everything they own. But this simply isn't the case

I have yet to find malware on my ironing board
    Last edited by AndyPix; 26-04-2018 at 6:17 PM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 26th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Unknown sources are just that - unknown
    Other devices can run stuff from unknown sources, and duly notify the risk (of unknown sources - not kodi per-se)

However as you cant download stuff onto xbox from unknown sources - your point is moot
    But builds usually come from unknown sources because those who make them are exactly that. Therefore you must be able to download from unknown sources on a console to get the build.
    I am not actually disagreeing with you and its good that you state your opinion on it. It just means that people can make their own minds up on what to do and for me personally it would need to be more than a persons word on a forum for me to take the chance. Even if as you say it turns out theres no risk.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 26th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Builds do come from unknown sources, but they are not running on your xbox, they are running on Kodi.

Kodi is the operating system for the build if you like
    As I said, a bad build could corrupt kodi and make it not run, but it cannot in any way affect your xbox.

This is not my opinion, or my word on a forum .. this is a hard technical fact

I work in IT, have done for 25 years, I have 3 MCSE's (Microsoft certified systems engineer) , a diploma in networking and a qualification in offensive security (hacking techniques) - I know this stuff inside out

You don't need to take my word for it either - go and research for yourself
    But please don't state as fact things that you don't understand because as I said, some people reading this might think you are qualified to make those statements when you are not.

Just to be super clear here , and this is not my opinion but this is real world hard technical fact ..

Code not signed Microsoft cannot run on the xbox .. This is baked into the hardware - the chips will simply not run it.
    It isn't like a firestick, or a PC, where you can run anything you like

This means that no matter what, under any circumstances can you get malware on your xbox
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 27th Apr 18, 1:46 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    There have been bad kodi addons in the past that turned your device into a zombie on a botnet. It wouldn't harm your Xbox but your Xbox could be used to attack other sites while running kodi.

kodi was xbmc I have it on old Xbox but there was a risk running xbmc you could screw up the machine by messing with the wrong file. For xbmc to run you had to hack the machine to run unsigned code and download the binaries over irc after asking for permission in chat you got a temporary password to the server. As to remain legal the xbmc team could only provide source code to compile yourself on the website.
    Last edited by Lumstorm; 27-04-2018 at 1:58 AM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 27th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    Its interesting that you guarantee no risk at all considering when you put it onto other devices you have to select the from unknown sources thing and then get warned it could be a Risk.
    You're talking about an android device. You're taking that methodology from a Fire Stick over to an XBox One, with absolutely no regard for the hardware, software and security differences between the two.

You're at more risk of damaging the HDMI port on your TV with a Fire stick, than you are of damaging your XBox. Can you accept this?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

765Posts Today

6,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin