Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HPLCEngineer
    • By HPLCEngineer 5th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    HPLCEngineer
    Is this gaming PC any good?
    • 5th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    Is this gaming PC any good? 5th Apr 18 at 7:07 PM
    Hi all,

Could I get your opinion on:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...ming-pc-10164418-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Is it value for money? Could I build it myself and save money? Will it run the latest games?

Thanks
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    Link leads to a 404 error. Using the item number in the address though....do you mean the vortex minerva xt-r with i5 and nvidia gtx 1060 @ 999.99?

The graphics card is good but processor not so much imo.

This is typically what retailers do though - pair a really good CPU with mediocre GPU or vice versa.

Price up what the components would cost separately - and be aware sometimes better/newer components can be cheaper than ones that aren't being manufactured anymore.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 9th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    Will always be cheaper building yourself. And by all means look at PCWorld for an idea but NEVER buy from them. They are overpriced.
    • s0mojo
    • By s0mojo 27th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    s0mojo
    • 27th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 27th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    As someone who's worked for PC World, yeah I'd avoid anything PC related, especially their gaming machines. Check out Overclockers or Scan for prebuilt systems
    • thunder367
    • By thunder367 28th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thunder367
    • 28th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 28th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    look up what u need price it up using scan uk they have some of the best deals in uk.if ur local to bolton go vist them they will help u out.they also have a huge display of what u can get.i use them all the tiem for pc bits.im due to upgrade at end of year and going for a i7 with at least a 1060gt may even push to a 1080.but ill be spending like 1500 on my pc
    • Lagamorph
    • By Lagamorph 28th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Lagamorph
    • 28th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 28th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    Best place to go if you're planning a self build is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/
    You can put in the parts you want and it'll identify where is selling them the cheapest. It doesn't always list every retailer but it can certainly help in saving a few quid.

It'll also help identify compatibility problems (Ie it'll identify if you pick a CPU that isn't compatible with the socket of your chosen motherboard)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,219Posts Today

6,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin