Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,193Posts
    • 166,704Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 39
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 24th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    It is hard, theres no doubt about it.

Wish you could pay off another 6 quid & then be in the 9's
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Those extra few pounds irritate me too, I like tidiness. Although if you saw my home sometimes you wouldn't believe that. I'm on an arrangement to pay creditors at a rate of £1 a month for a few months at the moment (there's a method in my madness I assure you) so I'm not going to pay any extra for now. I'll dip just below the magic £10000 mark on May 1st. I'll have a quiet (and cheap) little celebration then
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: £757.05+. May: £1209.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9998
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,704 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Always good to know where your pounds are going! 'Spends analysis' applauded!

As a minimum, once a week I look at our spends - mostly planned & almost no unplanned...

Seems staying out of debt is as much work as getting there was! Even with the bit of unexpected help we received!

...find it very interesting just how much everyday simple living costs! Very satisfying to know that good habits enable the enjoyable spends on days out!

Hope your analysis ends up with you feeling the same way!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Thanks RT! Wow, thats great to keep such close tabs on your spends ... as I say, I really have no knowledge currently, and its doing my head in a bit

Yes, it is so true that keeping out of debt is so hard.
    Everyday life is hard work & expensive.
    Yep, having been out of the loop for so long, I'm finding prices have gone up a fair bit! And yet some things aren't bad at all - we're going on this 4 day caravan break, courtesy of The Sun a paper I read constantly and we've just bought tickets for the Mary Rose - an annual ticket costs £12.60, bought online for an over 60 person! That doesn't seem bad at all. But my bus ticket to my sister, a journey of 30 mins or so, costs £7.60. Swings and roundabouts.

I'm not as far down the road as you both are but I'm hoping the invaluable lessons learned through the hard graft of working towards debt freedom will stand me in good stead for the future. I think staying out of debt in the future whilst enjoying a better quality of life than I'm managing at the moment will involve constant vigilance
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Aww, CBC ... it's such a struggle to get out of debt, it's hard how to redraw the boundaries once you *are* out of debt. That's part of what I'm wondering now, I suppose - acknowledging that my state pension is coming along in 2 and three quarter years, finally, and that that will make a huge difference to my finances. It would be silly to ignore that difference until it happens. Knowledge is power - as you say, invaluable lessons, through hard graft. May your graft not last much longer, CBC, you've earned some down time, and some freedom.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,704 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Those extra few pounds irritate me too, I like tidiness. Although if you saw my home sometimes you wouldn't believe that. I'm on an arrangement to pay creditors at a rate of £1 a month for a few months at the moment (there's a method in my madness I assure you) so I'm not going to pay any extra for now. I'll dip just below the magic £10000 mark on May 1st. I'll have a quiet (and cheap) little celebration then
    Wonderful!

The figures on people's sigs are often a bit of a blur for me , my own are hard enough, so this is great news!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 54,024 Posts
    • 214,082 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not long tilm 1st May
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,704 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Not long tilm 1st May
    It really isn't, is it! Coo!

I haven't done that much today - we've been following up on all the admin we did yesterday, checking who's going where, and when.

I *did* manage to do an hour in the garden - but that's still tidying branches and twigs, and cutting back hedges. Actual weeding is non-existent, and as a result the weeds are going a bit crazy

Oh ... SB went like gangbusters today, I already got to another £10 Amazon voucher. And I have to go back to my email account and do a YouGov survey, can't leave them out
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 54,024 Posts
    • 214,082 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on a hour in the garden.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,704 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It is, isn't it! Just got to keep at it - bin collection on Friday

Though seriously, the herbs I've planted, and am about to plant, will have a lot more light getting at them with all the weeding/pruning/cutting back I've been doing. So I get the healthy vibe two ways
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 24th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 13,859 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Yougov

I'm 150 points away from my very first payout!

Am pretty sure that averages out to less than a tenner a year - not sure I'll ever get rich doing surveys!!!!!
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 54,024 Posts
    • 214,082 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have not even had one blooming you gov survey this month

***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 24th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 22,355 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Your spend analysis sounds a little like mine!

Pleased you have had a good few days and got some bargains for holidays!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 £22,619 Jan 18 - £11,687 Mar 18 -£8524
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 24th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 13,859 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Beanie, I'm lucky if I get one!

Had a whole two this month
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 25th Apr 18, 4:24 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I *did* manage to do an hour in the garden - but that's still tidying branches and twigs, and cutting back hedges. Actual weeding is non-existent, and as a result the weeds are going a bit crazy
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I envy you your time outdoors today, it rained non stop all day here. It's still doing it but not so heavily now.

I'm feeling so happy because Morrisons (my favourite supermarket) have emailed to say they are now delivering to my area. They were the last of the big supermarkets to offer delivery anyway but the rollout over the whole country has been so snail-like that I thought it would never be our turn. The other supermarkets have been delivering even to our village for donkey's years and I had a few Sainsbury deliveries when the weather was bad and I just couldn't face driving. Costwise (delivery versus driving) there isn't much in it when the big supermarkets are a round trip of about 32 miles. We have a small Morrisons nearer than that (it's a proper supermarket not a local/express type though) but they don't sell the full range and certainly no household goods etc.

They are offering free delivery until the end of June (to entice new shoppers) and I've already done my first order to be delivered on Thursday morning. There'll probably be teething problems as it's so new here and I expect I might get lots of substitutions or things not coming at all. I'm embarrassed to admit how excited I am by developments. Doesn't take much does it?

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 25th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 6,168 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    We used Morrisns home delivery for a while. I was impressed by the lack of substitutions and you get a free ginger bread man with your first order...
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 25th Apr 18, 8:02 AM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    free gingerbread man?? Sign me up!

Shopping delivery saved us for a few months. We had a 5month old, and a Mrs SJ recovering from emergency surgery. She wasn't allowed to sit down for 6weeks, standing or lying only...challenging to say the least!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 25th Apr 18, 9:07 AM
    • 11,122 Posts
    • 59,706 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Our weeds are also going crazy.... as is the lawn... as is the moss

I am consoled by the fact that the Chinese forget-me-nots and the honeysuckle are romping.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 25th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Our weeds are also going crazy.... as is the lawn... as is the moss
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Moss. I had an ancient aunt who had a camomile lawn. It was lovely and I think I'll investigate how difficult it would be to start one here. At the moment we have an almost 100% moss lawn. Grass seems to be fighting a losing battle.

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 25th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11,122 Posts
    • 59,706 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Moss. I had an ancient aunt who had a camomile lawn. It was lovely and I think I'll investigate how difficult it would be to start one here. At the moment we have an almost 100% moss lawn. Grass seems to be fighting a losing battle.
    I am not exaggerating when I say that our moss/thatch is 4"+ in places and can be walked on like a trampoline
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 9,659 Thanks
    themadvix
    CBC - Morrisons delivery is run by Ocado... should be good service (although no doubt there'll be people along to complain about Ocado soon ) and few substitutions, although as it's late to your area it may be a store pick rather than a warehouse, so YMMV. Hope that helps!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 9,659 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ed, our front lawn is almost entirely moss.... not wanting to use chemicals I spent a long time ignoring it, but DH finally persuaded me to get some weed and feed last year - the bit we've done is looking a lot better for it... just the rest to do now and cut it! A scarifier would have killed us I think, and barely touched the surface.
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 9,659 Thanks
    themadvix
    Have a good day today KC, whatever you're up to. More gardening? It's certainly the weather for it here.

(Sorry, I'll stop spamming your thread now!)
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

365Posts Today

4,322Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin