Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LynnLegend
    • By LynnLegend 12th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 4Thanks
    LynnLegend
    Replace electric heating...
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    Replace electric heating... 12th Apr 17 at 7:37 PM
    Hi all,

Our night storage boiler (Google 'nightstor', I can't post links yet!) is dead, and before I decide whether to pay to bring it back to life again I want to fully assess my options. I have a wet central heating system with immersion heater for hot water.

I will be getting quotes for Oil, Calor Gas, and ASHP. Is there anything else I'm missing? I'm prepared to leave the water on the immersion heater, and I don't have megabucks to pay out for a GSHP. I don't want a stove with backboiler (too much faff) and I'm reluctant for biomass boiler, but I'm unsure why.

Also, needless to say I'm off-grid for mains gas.

Thanks!

Sam.
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 13th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    Personally I'd go for oil, on the basis that it's generally reckoned to be the "next best" to mains gas in terms of cost. And it's pretty convenient to use. Calor gas is usually quite a bit more expensive, especially if you end up tied to a contract with one supplier.

ASHP - I can't really offer any advice on that one, not having had personal experience. But I have heard stories on here that they burn a lot of electricity - however I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me !

Whatever you go for it'll be a fairly hefty investment, so you're wise to do as much research as possible
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    Havea look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5626673.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Henryheat
    • By Henryheat 2nd May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Henryheat
    • 2nd May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 11:27 AM
    Hi - Did you solve the problem with your Nightstor boiler? I'm trying to get hold of a second hand one for a project I'm doing... Any chance you still have it lying around and are looking to get rid of it? Or know someone else who has one?
    • SaraR2018
    • By SaraR2018 14th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SaraR2018
    • 14th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:41 PM
    A forced air gas furnace is a highly efficient means of heating up your home. These devices produce heat by means of combustion, which allows for fast, efficient operation. You can achieve a better regulation in temperature in all areas of your home with a high quality forced air gas furnace.

Have you used it before?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,973Posts Today

6,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin