Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • planteria
    • By planteria 23rd Feb 14, 9:17 AM
    • 4,987Posts
    • 1,107Thanks
    planteria
    Iii
    • 23rd Feb 14, 9:17 AM
    Iii 23rd Feb 14 at 9:17 AM
    i am looking at moving from HL to III with my ISA, and potentially SIPP.

any thoughts re. the following?:

1. Financial Safety: is money safe with them?
    2. Customer Service Levels: do they sort problems efficiently?
    3. Website functionality?
    4. Paper copies of trades and holdings?
    5. Whether you can invest in US shares?

They certainly look competitive, for larger portfolios, as here:

http://langcatfinancial.co.uk/2014/02/strawberry/

are there any real downsides to III?

http://www.iii.co.uk/help
Page 103
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 13th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    capital0ne
    Strange. I don't have a problem with any other banking website (nor with II before their change of website) and yet I'm being asked to believe it's my browser or my laptops that are the problem.

ETA: Anyway, I'm back in this morning.
    Originally posted by zedray
    Zedray, I had a problem with Tesco banking, only with one account, Altho' I could logon to both accounts, I could only get into the accounts of one of the logins, the bad one would just breturn to the logon screen. That was using Firefox.

Opera claimed there were security problems so I ditched that.

Chrome worked fine.

So try a different browser and/or machine.
    • JasonPr
    • By JasonPr 17th May 18, 12:12 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    JasonPr
    Has anyone who was with II prior to the merger yet seen the Consolidated Tax Voucher they have apparently sent covering pre merger divs (according to the letter of 8 May)? I can find my CTC, but not the CTV.
    Originally posted by koru
    I received my second CTC covering the pre-merger period at the end of last week (as II promised!).
    • planteria
    • By planteria 20th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    planteria
    unavailable this morning.. i've been checking HL for US share prices.

i have generally found the iii site to be fine recently though. i've traded within my ISA and had no problems at all.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th May 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 7,680 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    There has been a banner on the site all week saying that it will be down for maintenance this weekend
    • masonic
    • By masonic 20th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    masonic
    unavailable this morning.. i've been checking HL for US share prices.
    Originally posted by planteria
    Back up now. Is it just me or has there been "Planned Maintenance" going on quite frequently and I only recall one instance where I was warned in advance.

There has been a banner on the site all week saying that it will be down for maintenance this weekend
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    That would explain it, but it would be much more helpful to send us a message. I didn't visit the site this week until the weekend, but I could have logged in on Friday evening if I'd known it wouldn't be available on Saturday or Sunday morning.
    Last edited by masonic; 20-05-2018 at 4:14 PM.
    • le loup
    • By le loup 20th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 3,756 Thanks
    le loup
    but it would be much more helpful to send us a message. I didn't visit the site this week until the weekend, but I could have logged in on Friday evening if I'd known it wouldn't be available on Saturday or Sunday morning.
    Originally posted by masonic
    A fair point but it would have gone entirely against their customer service ethos - which, as you know is, no customer service.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 20th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    capital0ne
    That would explain it, but it would be much more helpful to send us a message. I didn't visit the site this week until the weekend, but I could have logged in on Friday evening if I'd known it wouldn't be available on Saturday or Sunday morning.
    Originally posted by masonic
    And if you didn't check your email till the weekend, whose fault would that be?

This sounds a bit like a football manager saying they would have won the match if they had scored a goal!

Good luck
    • masonic
    • By masonic 20th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    masonic
    And if you didn't check your email till the weekend, whose fault would that be?

This sounds a bit like a football manager saying they would have won the match if they had scored a goal!

Good luck
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    I get push notifications when I receive a new email. I'd like to see them implement that on their website.

You seem to be implying it is unreasonable to expect to be contacted when there is going to be planned disruption to their services, but pretty much every other financial institution manages to do so, even III on one occasion.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 21st May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    planteria
    agreed masonic, and speaks to the response to my message above.
    no email to let us know.. and as you say, it seems to be more frequent than elsewhere.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 21st May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Ignoring the e-mail element of this, could it be that II posted the advisory on the main web page (home page) but, if you are anything like me you bookmark the login page and therefore never see the advisory information. I'm not with II but have experienced this with another provider.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • masonic
    • By masonic 21st May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    masonic
    Ignoring the e-mail element of this, could it be that II posted the advisory on the main web page (home page) but, if you are anything like me you bookmark the login page and therefore never see the advisory information. I'm not with II but have experienced this with another provider.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    I was on their main site on Friday evening at around 9:25 pm (looking up a link to post in this thread) and didn't see a banner there.

I might be misremembering, but the only time I've seen a banner about maintenance on the website, it was on the login page.

I receive all manner of emails/secure messages from them including reminders of ISA subscription deadlines, reviews of their 'ii Rated Investments' and even an invitation to complete a survey about my trading habits. Clearly these are all far more important than information about when they are taking their services offline
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

753Posts Today

6,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin