Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scooter74
    • By scooter74 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    scooter74
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?
    • 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying? 31st Jan 11 at 9:22 PM
    I would like to start a website which tracks bottled 47kg gas prices across the country in order to fight for the energy minister to regulate propane gas prices and remove the VAT from it. There are no websites which compare prices. I live in a rural area and have no real alternative Since I moved in in 2006, my 47kg gas price has risen from £26 to, today £56.50. Five years 102%. Since many people who live in rural areas are already paying the most for energy and have disproportionately low incomes I think a campaign on this is long overdue.

Please post your location and price you are paying. If we all do it we can make a case to the government for regulation or some kind of subsidy which puts propane on a par with mains gas. Sadly overdue I think.

So, I'll start Basildon, Essex: £56.50
Page 22
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 18th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    LittleVermin
    Ombudsman for LPG
    Yes, I have made official complaints including the 'Consumer Council for Northern Ireland'. They all returned fluffy excuses on why there is a price differential, and why they can't do anything about it. I'm afraid, and forgive the pun, my 'energy' in fighting this has somewhat drained in recent times as I've had some major health issues to deal with.

<snip>
    Originally posted by frugalstephen
    There IS an ombudsman for LPG (yes, that was news to me! Ofgem only covers electricity and gas - the privatised utilities).

ALL members of UKLPG are signed up to using this ombudsman. Maybe someone in NI could see if this route gets somewhere?

More info here.

(Sorry about your health issues, Stephen ...but there are other NI people on this forum, surely?).
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 19-03-2018 at 9:45 AM. Reason: apologies - typos corrected
    • nannycf11
    • By nannycf11 26th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nannycf11
    Calor price hike
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was £40 each total £80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were £45 each total £90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to £47 each totalling £94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were £73 each total £146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 27th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Mister G
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was £40 each total £80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were £45 each total £90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to £47 each totalling £94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were £73 each total £146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.
    Originally posted by nannycf11
    Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.
    • dave 105
    • By dave 105 29th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave 105
    Hi in Lincolnshire we pay £55 hight rate (winter) and £48 low
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 29th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Bulk tanks costs?
    Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 29th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Mister G
    I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    You will need to consider installation costs. The above ground tank sits on a concrete slab which you will need to provide. All other costs are normally covered by the supplier.

Most suppliers also make an annual charge of £70 to £100 for maintenance (although they don't seem to do much for this!)

You will also need to consider siting. It has to be a minimum of 3m from any boundary or combustible material (ie. House, shed, fence, etc).

Further info here:
    https://www.calor.co.uk/home-energy/new-to-lpg/gas-storage-options
    • Greenvisions
    • By Greenvisions 22nd Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greenvisions
    Wow so much cheaper
    We live up in Ryedale nr Thornton, get Energas 47kg
    Feb 2010 £69.30 plus £12 delivery 4.5 miles
    Dec 2014 £57.20
    Nov 2016 £69.92

Need to get some, Gottle GAs quote £65ish
    • Dave Somerset
    • By Dave Somerset 3rd May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dave Somerset
    Hi, I don't normally contribute to forums, but this thread is about the most useful resource for us downtrodden lpg cylinder users.

I just got 2 x 47kg propane cylinders from Flogas in Somerset for £104.03 (inc VAT) delivered, with no empties to exchange, and no contract.
    They 1st quoted £66 until I politely told them about this thread and they quickly reduced it.
    Considering I was quoted £258 from Darch, as a new customer, I thought this was a pretty good deal.
    Hope this helps others.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Jun 18, 12:49 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Ouch! The last time I bought a 47kg container for my cooker I paid about £55 - that must have been six months ago. Last week I ordered a replacement and was charged £72! This is in Kent.

Someone is skinning us.
    • Markba
    • By Markba 17th Jun 18, 12:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markba
    Hi Iím in east mids but cannot find anywhere as cheap as that. Could you please tell me where you use? Thanks, Mark
    • Markba
    • By Markba 17th Jun 18, 12:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markba
    Venison, is that with Flogas directly?
    • ohspecial1
    • By ohspecial1 24th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ohspecial1
    Hi i pay under 50 but im sure is discounted as i go direct and got price frozen for 6 monthes
    • mysterons
    • By mysterons 28th Jul 18, 11:51 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    mysterons
    Enquired price of 47kg propane with Empire Gas (Energas) based in Skegness and told £48 but 3 days for delivery.
    Had run out so picked one up immediately from garden centre at Chapel St Leonards instead for £50
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 28th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Right. So now I know I was being skinned, if that is what they are going for elsewhere. I shall be having 'words' with my supplier.
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 28th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    Right. So now I know I was being skinned, if that is what they are going for elsewhere. I shall be having 'words' with my supplier.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    That only works where you have a genuine 'market' in play with operational competition. Here in Northern Ireland there is an illegal cartel where everyone sells a 47kg cylinder within £5 of each other at £85 a pop!
    • stubuy
    • By stubuy 31st Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stubuy
    Try to understand the suppliers point of view.
    I follow this thread on a regular basis and each time my blood boils with comments made by the buying public.
    You have no idea of the number of hoops that LPG distributors have to jump through and the costs involved therein providing a bottle of gas to you through all winds and weathers, across dangerous paths, checking your hoses and sometimes changing a light bulbs etc for little old ladies..
    Lets me enlighten you on just a few things that need to be taken into consideration before you judge and call dealers greedy and cheats..
    Storage:
    This is heavily regulated, the land itself is not cheap or easy to come by, once you have a yard, you have to abide to the latest HSE regulations, separation distances, risk assessments, emergency procedures, fire extinguishers, if you store over a certain amount you are then inspected by another authority because you are a potential terrorist threat.
    Alarms, CCTV, security, all cost money for supply, install and maintenance.
    Staff:
    Delivery staff need to be trained to ADR standard, this is a week in a classroom which costs about £500.00 plus wages and has to be taken every five years on top of drivers CPC.
    You are regulated by tachograph how many hours a driver can work and drive for with mandatory breaks and rest days/times and as such can only physically deliver a finite number of cylinders per day in areas that are by their very nature "off grid" and therfore invariably very rural down little lanes into the middle of no-where.
    Product:
    The product, LPG is derived from Oil production and therefore wholly reliant on the cost of oil and the dollar/pound exchange rate. This fluctuates, yes it goes down occasionally but when it does, this is compensating for the times it has gone up and up and up and the increases are absorbed.
    Once it is refined it has to be taken by tanker to a filling plant, once there trained personnel working under quite understandably high health and safety regs have to put it into cylinders, which of course have to be made to very high standards and maintained on a regular basis.
    Once the cylinders are filled they are placed onto lorries for distribution to the dealer/agent who then retails them from their expensive, heavily regulated premises on heavily modified trucks via highly qualified drivers.
    Vehicles:
    LPG is a very heavy product as i'm sure any of you who have lifted your own will testify to. As a consequence HGV's are used to distribute it, are you aware that each vehicle as well as the annual MOT which sees the vehicle off the road for four days you also have to have mini MOT's every four or six weeks? The vehicle itself has to have a special body to transport dangerous goods and of course tail lifts which also has to be annually inspected-of course.
    Fuel is then a huge factor with lorries doing anything from 8mpg it costs a large amount just to fill the tank every other day.
    Seasonality:
    This is a feast and famine time, you get one chance, Ok we had the beast from the east this year but that in itself brought supply chain issues and days where drivers had to be paid to sit out the weather, but on the whole the winter now starts in November and ends in March giving a short window of opportunity to make enough money to see through the summer until the following winter. Yes consumers buy gas in the summer but it actually costs more than any profit made on such low volumes, the odd patio gas or 47 for someones hot water. Camping gaz currently retails at £37.00 for 2.7 kilos, by my poor maths that equals the equivalent of £643.00 for 47kg!!
    To wrap this up, believe me I could go on, lets look at a few final costs and them I'm done.
    Insurance? this goes up every year, we are carrying "dangerous goods" and as such there aren't that many insurance companies offering cover, therefore it is even more expensive.
    You may have noticed that BP have pulled out of the LPG market, such a profit centred company doesn't pull out of a market that it is making money in, Countrywide has recently gone bust, again not profitable.
    So please think before you have a whinge on this forum about how much it costs to deliver this product that can keep you alive.
    By comparison, milk would cost £66.00, lager £237.00 and a starbucks late £611.00 all of this you collect from the supermarket. Just a thought.
    • venison
    • By venison 31st Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    venison
    First order for 4 months today with Flogas no price increase atm still £49.96.
    Former Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

4,957Users online

Martin's Twitter