Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catia Almada
    • By Catia Almada 15th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Catia Almada
    Hot water only if radiators are also on!!
    • 15th May 18, 12:27 PM
    Hot water only if radiators are also on!! 15th May 18 at 12:27 PM
    Hi All

I have noticed that water will only be hot if I also switch on the radiators!!
    Was fine when we moved in in the winter but now that we don't need the heating we noticed this?
    Do you recon this is an electric fault or a simple setup of the heating controls?

Anyone had this issue?

Regards
    Catia
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 18,602 Posts
    • 12,749 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:45 PM
    Could be either. Possibly a failed microswitch, any of a number of possibilities. More information on your set up needed.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:30 PM
    On my system its usual for the switching port that opens HW or CH to either jam or fail .
    usually jiggling the manual switch clears the fault .
    But multiple systems as above .
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 24,685 Thanks
    jk0
    • 15th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:07 PM
    My dad's 1959 system was like that. You just need to turn off each radiator individually in summer.
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 15th May 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 15th May 18, 8:22 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:22 PM
    If it is an older system , with a hot water tank, it will be the 3 port diverter valve which can stick especially in the summer when it isn't being switched between heating and water.
    As previously mentioned this can sometimes be freed by 'jiggling' the manual override switch.
    However I have found that it usually eventually needs replacing.
    On some , especially the Honeywell one , you can carefully remove the motor and by using pliers sometimes free up the valve.
    If it has been stuck in the same position for a while and the motor has been trying to move it the motor or one of the switches can burn out.
    I have replaced several over the years and in my case I have to drain down the system first.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

338Posts Today

3,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin