Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scooter74
    • By scooter74 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    scooter74
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?
    • 31st Jan 11, 9:22 PM
    47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying? 31st Jan 11 at 9:22 PM
    I would like to start a website which tracks bottled 47kg gas prices across the country in order to fight for the energy minister to regulate propane gas prices and remove the VAT from it. There are no websites which compare prices. I live in a rural area and have no real alternative Since I moved in in 2006, my 47kg gas price has risen from 26 to, today 56.50. Five years 102%. Since many people who live in rural areas are already paying the most for energy and have disproportionately low incomes I think a campaign on this is long overdue.

Please post your location and price you are paying. If we all do it we can make a case to the government for regulation or some kind of subsidy which puts propane on a par with mains gas. Sadly overdue I think.

So, I'll start Basildon, Essex: 56.50
Page 22
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 18th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    Yes, I have made official complaints including the 'Consumer Council for Northern Ireland'. They all returned fluffy excuses on why there is a price differential, and why they can't do anything about it. I'm afraid, and forgive the pun, my 'energy' in fighting this has somewhat drained in recent times as I've had some major health issues to deal with.

It is disgusting, and there is genuinely no reason at all for such a rip off, but I fear no one has taken up the mantle in fighting this. The DUP currently has bigger fish to fry than the price of gas, after all, this only effects their constituents, and they are currently on a fat salary for not even sitting in government, but that's a whole other story!
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 18th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    LittleVermin
    Ombudsman for LPG
    Yes, I have made official complaints including the 'Consumer Council for Northern Ireland'. They all returned fluffy excuses on why there is a price differential, and why they can't do anything about it. I'm afraid, and forgive the pun, my 'energy' in fighting this has somewhat drained in recent times as I've had some major health issues to deal with.

<snip>
    Originally posted by frugalstephen
    There IS an ombudsman for LPG (yes, that was news to me! Ofgem only covers electricity and gas - the privatised utilities).

ALL members of UKLPG are signed up to using this ombudsman. Maybe someone in NI could see if this route gets somewhere?

More info here.

(Sorry about your health issues, Stephen ...but there are other NI people on this forum, surely?).
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 19-03-2018 at 9:45 AM. Reason: apologies - typos corrected
    • nannycf11
    • By nannycf11 26th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nannycf11
    Calor price hike
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was 40 each total 80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were 45 each total 90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to 47 each totalling 94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were 73 each total 146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.
    • venison
    • By venison 26th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    venison
    Assume you are buying from calor? have you tried flogas? Have a look back through this thread for links to wold (?) A buying group that you might be able to use.
    Ex Board Guide
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 27th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was 40 each total 80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were 45 each total 90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to 47 each totalling 94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were 73 each total 146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.
    Originally posted by nannycf11
    Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.
    • dave 105
    • By dave 105 29th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave 105
    Hi in Lincolnshire we pay 55 hight rate (winter) and 48 low
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 29th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Bulk tanks costs?
    Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 29th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    You will need to consider installation costs. The above ground tank sits on a concrete slab which you will need to provide. All other costs are normally covered by the supplier.

Most suppliers also make an annual charge of 70 to 100 for maintenance (although they don't seem to do much for this!)

You will also need to consider siting. It has to be a minimum of 3m from any boundary or combustible material (ie. House, shed, fence, etc).

Further info here:
    https://www.calor.co.uk/home-energy/new-to-lpg/gas-storage-options
    • Greenvisions
    • By Greenvisions 22nd Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greenvisions
    Wow so much cheaper
    We live up in Ryedale nr Thornton, get Energas 47kg
    Feb 2010 69.30 plus 12 delivery 4.5 miles
    Dec 2014 57.20
    Nov 2016 69.92

Need to get some, Gottle GAs quote 65ish
    • Dave Somerset
    • By Dave Somerset 3rd May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dave Somerset
    Hi, I don't normally contribute to forums, but this thread is about the most useful resource for us downtrodden lpg cylinder users.

I just got 2 x 47kg propane cylinders from Flogas in Somerset for 104.03 (inc VAT) delivered, with no empties to exchange, and no contract.
    They 1st quoted 66 until I politely told them about this thread and they quickly reduced it.
    Considering I was quoted 258 from Darch, as a new customer, I thought this was a pretty good deal.
    Hope this helps others.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    venison
    Still paying 49.96 flogas east midlands delivered.
    Ex Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin