Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 11th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 332Posts
    • 61Thanks
    wheelz
    Wedding dress
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    Wedding dress 11th Oct 17 at 8:22 PM
    I'm trying to find a wedding dress and have been to two shops. They were very different, the second shop had dresses off the rail/peg. They are half the price and I'm interested in them as I don't want to spend too much on a dress, I am in my early 50-ies. I have been told in the shop that alterations will be between 100 and 200/300 pounds. Does anyone have any first hand experience. I would like to know what to add to the budget for alterations. I appreciate that it depends on how much needs doing.
Page 2
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 15th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    wheelz
    If you are not that into dresses how about a suit? A friend got married last year and she has never been a dress sort of person so she wore a beautiful suit instead, she really did look stunning on the day and was a lot more comfortable and confident than she would have been in a dress.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    I'm not that into the wedding dresses that you get in a bridal shop, they all have trains. But I know that you can still have floor length dresses but it seems a waste and maybe not what they where designed for.
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 15th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    wheelz
    Can you just turn up at Debenhams, without making an appointment?
    Last edited by wheelz; 15-10-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 15th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 64,298 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Can you just turn up at Debenhams, without maken an appointment?
    Originally posted by wheelz

Is this for personal shopping? No I think you will need to book in advance. You can book an appointment here
    http://www.debenhams.com/content/personal-shopper

House of Fraser also offer personal shopping if you have one nearby, the link to book a personal shopper appoitnment with them is
    https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/personal-shopping

Just to let you know I had a HOF personal shopper when I wanted to buy a nice outfit for an occasion and it was great, there was no pressure to buy and the staff were lovely.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 16th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Izadora
    Can you just turn up at Debenhams, without making an appointment?
    I think some of the bigger stores have a bridal section where you can try on wedding dresses as you would any other clothes but it's probably best to call your nearest stores to check what services they offer and whether you need to book.

Or, if you know there aren't that many you'd want to try on, you could order it online. There was only one dress that I'd really fallen in love with so ordered it to be delivered to my local store and was very lucky that it was actually even more beautiful than the pictures and was a good fit.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 34,395 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    The least likely advocate of matrimony, amanda palmer, on why folks do love a bride

in a world filled with NO NO NO NO NO and fear and terror and doubt, a bride fills up the space in the minds eye as a giant white tulle YES, and you don’t need to know the romantic backstory. somehow, through some miraculous chain of events, this woman has decided to throw herself into a life commitment. and it means something different now than it did 100, even 50, years ago. because nowadays she has a choice.

Written in her wedding blog as she did find the guy to change her mind on matrimony.

Whether what you wear is giant white tulle or not, so long as it says "yes" with all the positive love & hope, you have the right dress. It doesn't have to be white or tulle but it ideally shouldn't be a dress you could wear shopping tomorrow. I know, MSE heresy of a sort, but a wedding dress is a statement garment that repeated re-wearing will confuse observers.

How's the hunt going & is the above interesting but not applicable?!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 23,347 Posts
    • 63,021 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My cousin married in June 2017 (end of June) and their dress changes cost 250 on top of the Bridal Shops Houston dress price. You have to check their website. She had really great experience.
    Originally posted by webcrest043
    I'm somewhat bemused why you've posted a link to a wedding shop that has branches only located in LA and Houston.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 20th Nov 17, 11:35 AM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 12,123 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I'm somewhat bemused why you've posted a link to a wedding shop that has branches only located in LA and Houston.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    The only thing I can think of is that the poster doesn't realise that this is a UK site despite it being a .com
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Fuzzy_Duck
    • By Fuzzy_Duck 24th Nov 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    Fuzzy_Duck
    My wedding dress was made to order and cost 500. Having said that it was a bit unconventional- knee length and made out of fabric usually used for furnishings. It was bought from a bridal gown shop but the owner was a seamstress and made her own designs.

It's definitely possible to get a custom made gown for less than you're looking at, especially if you want a simpler design. I must say though that as someone who also hates shopping, I found the fittings quite tedious. If I had my time over I'd have bought a nice non-wedding dress I could wear again.
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 24th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,700 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Hi I got married for the first (and only) time in 2013, aged 48, and had very definite ideas of what I did not want, but no real idea of what I did want.

I am a mostly jeans and trousers kind of girl, but when I tried the eventual dress on I cried. I felt like a princess and that was before they added the extras.

There are many styles out there, it is just a case of finding the one to suit. I agree buying one you can wear another time is not the thing to do. Your wedding day is one time you are the centre of attention, make the most of it and enjoy your day.

As to what to do with the dress after, I donated mine to Cherished Angels who make gowns for still born infants - after all at 48 I was not planning on having a daughter who might want to wear my dress at her wedding.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 25th Nov 17, 11:03 AM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 7,427 Thanks
    pimento
    Hi, I didn't know they did. I have just looked at department stores and monsoon online. :-) I am now planning on going to Debenhams and possibly others.
    I'm about to get married for the second (and last) time and am in my fifties.
    I'm wearing a dress that I bought on eBay (Kaliko) and had shortened at the local dry cleaners. I've already worn it once - to a funeral..

Mind you, I won't be walking down an aisle, we're having a very small (just the two of us and the witnesses) ceremony at a registry office and a family meal a week or so later.

If I were about to go frock shopping, I'd go to John Lewis or Debenhams and try everything on. I have used John Lewis' personal shopper service and found it to be very useful. I tried on dresses that I would have walked right past on the rack.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 25th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    michelle09
    I bought a second hand Debenhams dress for 140. You can just turn up to the Oxford Street Debenhams and try them on which is nice for someone like me who didn't want the fuss and hates shopping. Didn't need alterations so I can't advise on that. Good luck though!
    • Glad
    • By Glad 25th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 17,963 Posts
    • 39,915 Thanks
    Glad
    wheelz, congratulations on your upcoming wedding you've had some great advice already but if you're looking to save any more money on your wedding, the MSE main site has a researched article that may help

Weddings On A Budget
    50+ tips to cut the cost of dresses, venues, cakes & more
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,955Users online

Martin's Twitter