Tesco Foundation Card - limits and upgrades?

If you’ve got a Tesco Foundation Card, would you mind sharing your current limit? I’m trying to see how high it goes. The site says limits *start* from £250-£1,500 but wasn’t sure if they go higher after a few years.

Also, has anyone upgraded so to speak? I.e. gone from a foundation card to one of Tesco’s better/mainstream cards?

Comments

• It depends on personal circumstances - no one can give you an answer specific for you.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Mine came with a limit of £250.

I had one, a few years ago, and by using the card regularly, and paying it off in full and on time, they increased my limit every few months.

Of course, everyone's circumstances are different, and many factors apply.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Everyone's situation will be different but from experience with a Tesco Foundation card, my limit started at £250, increased to £600 after 5 months and then increased again to £900 after another 5 months. If the trend continues, I should have another increase in a few months
  • I had one of these a few years back and my starting limit was £800. They gave me 2 increases in 1 year and when i closed the account my limit was £2500, albeit eye watering interest rate of 27.6%
  • Thanks all. Good to know it goes over the higher £1.5k starting limit!

Anyone successful with better rate Tesco cards after building a bit of an internal score with them on the foundation?
  • Yes, I opened their BT transfer card after having the foundation one for roughly a year. My starting limit was £3000 and i moved the £2500 limit from the other card over and closed the foundation card. It was quite a simple process.
  • Great thank you guys. Just what I wanted to hear.

@jester212 did you have any CCJs or defaults when you applied for the better card out of interest?
  • @MoneySaver123

No i had no adverse CCJ or defaults when i applied for the BT card. Originally when i had the foundation card i had one CCJ which was satisfied. The foundation card allowed my to build up a history with Tesco along with some other commitments i had, to show i could manage my finances responsibly. Once the CCJ dropped off my credit file i waited a few months and applied for the BT card.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can't remember initial limit though was auto raised to 600 18 months later.
    Since become my lowest credit card limit, 90% used, plane to reduce it through 2019 before starting to get serious on the biggies.
    Tesco card had become my 'sandwiches' contactless card if I require to use at short notice.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Glad to read the positive experiences above!

Be aware their credit limit increases are offered BEFORE they've assessed you.

December (4 months) - Offered increase in January, as long as situation doesn't change
    January - Sorry we can't offer this to you....

Phoned up and kicked off - adviser basically said it happens all the time with Foundation cardholders - Tesco send the letters THEN do the check (his words). Then rely on the "we said it wasn't guaranteed" if they want to turn you down.

My situation 100% did not get any worse (knocked £3k off a car loan between the letter and the decline letter!!) and he basically said look that's why I was upfront with you - I've seen your job title, you know your stuff, but there's no point us even discussing whether it did or didn't get worse - Tesco didn't assess it in the first place.

So I'm with the FOS at the moment.

Ironically, I got another letter today offering an increase in March, if my situation doesn't change.....:rotfl: Let's see if this one goes ahead!

The letters are generated on/around the statement date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure