DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Comments

• Lmrcpr
    Lmrcpr Posts: 18 Forumite
    I've had an email from step change saying some one will phone me to discuss my budget over the next 1_3 days, is this what normally happens? I can't phone them till Monday as in work.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Where do people keep their emergency fund? Don't creditors notice if you have like a £1000 in a building society but are telling them I can only make small / token payments? Do Stepchange have a view on this?

Basic bank accounts report as £0 at all times on credit reference agency files, and savings accounts are not shown on CRA files at all. Keep your EF where you want based on this and your creditors will never know what you have, how much, or where you have it :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Tomorrow is payday and my usual day for all payments to go out.
    I have heard from some creditors but not all. I am a little frightful of tomorrow and what it will bring no doubt numerous calls so I booked the day off work ��
    I know am doing the right thing in sorting my debt but scared of the initial calls etc.
    Wish me luck
    Just do what I did and unplug the phone,no one calls me on my landline anyway and when the phone is plugged in it's set to answering machine with a message telling callers I am screening my calls and if they leave their details I will get back to them ,I just delete any messages as they are usually from people trying to sell me stuff
    I did go though all my credit accounts and remove my phone numbers before I started my DMP and I wrote to them all telling them I only giave permission for them to contact me in writing and that's what has happened since
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Well I plucked up the courage and phoned SC this morning to tell them I needed to reduce my payments and it was fine,the sky didn't fall in or anything,I don't expect my creditors will be very happy but they can't have what I haven't got and just in case they aren't happy I've unplugged my phone:rotfl:

This does mean I will be paying them off until the end of time but it also means I can actually live :j
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Thank you carbootcrazy, sourcrates and onebrokenlady. Your advice and support appreciated as always

Started 2019 with £22,5000 debt - March 2021 Debt free - stick with it people I did and now never felt better
  • mb73
    mb73 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Hi all. A quick update: I followed the advice from Suseka97 and sent Sec77/78 CCA requests to the two DCAs who are chasing some old debts that I was previously paying via a StepChange DMP. I've now heard back from Lowell, who have put the account on hold while they wait for the original creditor to supply further information. They've cancelled my direct debit for now. Good news so far! :)
    Debt at light bulb moment - £15K
    Currently stands at £2.6K
    Current debt-free date: far far away
    Proud to be dealing with my debts

Official DFW Nerd Club Member 1221

DFW Long Haulers Supporter #173

• mb73 wrote: »
    Hi all. A quick update: I followed the advice from Suseka97 and sent Sec77/78 CCA requests to the two DCAs who are chasing some old debts that I was previously paying via a StepChange DMP. I've now heard back from Lowell, who have put the account on hold while they wait for the original creditor to supply further information. They've cancelled my direct debit for now. Good news so far! :)

Good news, well done:T

It's always worth sending the CCA requests because even if the paperwork comes back as fully compliant and enforceable at least you've earned yourself some time by not having to pay anything off the debts in the meantime. With a bit of luck, even if the debts turn out to be enforceable, some creditors can take months to come up with any paperwork. One of mine took 10 months during which time all collection activity on the debt was suspended:j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mb73 wrote: »

Nice one :T

As CBC says, regardless of the outcome it'll give you time to squirrel some money away for a while. Hopefully it'll take them a while to get the paperwork together, or (preferably) not, fingers crossed.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Happy Friday :wave: just popping on with a bit of an update and a bit of good news...

I've been reading various posts where people have been receiving notifications of refunds from creditors and whilst I've found it interesting and have been pleased for those people who've benefited, I hadn't given it much thought in relation to our outstanding debts.

Well, this morning my OH received two letters from Barclaycard both saying that following a recent review of their operating procedures they have identified that for customers who had fallen behind in their payments, they did not always meet the expected standards for assessing customers' circumstances blah. blah. and go on to say that as a consequence a refund of the interest and default fees applied to those accounts during that period would be paid.

They have sent the refunds to L**K which I'm okay with - because those accounts are enforceable ones - but the good news is that in doing so both balances have dropped quite significantly and as I continue to only make token payments I can now easily clear what's left and effectively close those accounts. That will leave me with one enforceable (only paying tokens) and 3 x UEs.

Now that's a nice pre-Chritmas bonus and I'm doing a :j:j:j
  • Suseka97 wrote: »
    Happy Friday :wave: just popping on with a bit of an update and a bit of good news...

I've been reading various posts where people have been receiving notifications of refunds from creditors and whilst I've found it interesting and have been pleased for those people who've benefited, I hadn't given it much thought in relation to our outstanding debts.

Well, this morning my OH received two letters from Barclaycard both saying that following a recent review of their operating procedures they have identified that for customers who had fallen behind in their payments, they did not always meet the expected standards for assessing customers' circumstances blah. blah. and go on to say that as a consequence a refund of the interest and default fees applied to those accounts during that period would be paid.

They have sent the refunds to L**K which I'm okay with - because those accounts are enforceable ones - but the good news is that in doing so both balances have dropped quite significantly and as I continue to only make token payments I can now easily clear what's left and effectively close those accounts. That will leave me with one enforceable (only paying tokens) and 3 x UEs.

Now that's a nice pre-Chritmas bonus and I'm doing a :j:j:j

Brilliant news, Suseka, I couldn't be happier for you:j:beer:. Thanks for coming and sharing it with us (the news not the money:rotfl:)

It's lovely to receive any money from the banks but when it's a surprise and hasn't had to be chased it's even nicer:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback