Options

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2020 at 10:19AM
    Options
    All You Can Books

Here's another that offers an 'all you can read' model. http://www.allyoucanbooks.com

US$20 per month, which is currently about £15, so no advantage over Bookbeat or Audible. I imagine that a chunk of its books are not available in the UK, due to copyright issues.
    koru
  • koru
    Options
    Peter999 wrote: »
    No, you don't need to be a subscriber to buy the deal of the day books. I stopped subscribing over a year ago and still buy them every few days.

You can get them to email you with the daily deal.
    Thanks. I tried signing up for it using my Amazon log-in and it seems to have worked. Worth seeing if anything comes up that I fancy. (Today's offer is The Christmasaurus!)
    koru
  • koru
    Options
    Kindle Unlimited with narration

Then there's Kindle Unlimited, which includes some audiobooks:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/hz/signup?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sr_ku_lm&qid=1513962467

Looks like there are 3600 audiobooks available. Cost is £7.99 pm, and also includes ebooks. This is an all you can read, rental model, so potentially very cheap, if you like the books included. If you read 4 books a month, that's £2 per book. On a quick look, I was struggling to find books that I would want to read, however.
    koru
  • koru
    Options
    Scribd.com is a new option. It has been around for a long time, but it used to work on 1 book per month, at $9 (~£7). A few months ago, they switched to 'unlimited' audiobooks. As I understand it, there are some restrictions, but you definitely get free choice of at least 2 audiobooks per month, and then unlimited choice from a more restricted catalogue. So, that's about £3.50 per book, depending on exchange rate.

They seem to have a lot of bestsellers, but what I'm not sure about is how much of their list is available outside the US. At some point, I'll sign up for a trial, to see what's available here.

Not as big a selection as Audible (eg, no J K Rowling or Robert Galbraith, for a start), but once you have read what they do have, just cancel your subscription and then switch to Audible for titles you can only get there.
    koru
  • koru
    Options
    Also, Audible have a deal of the day offer which is between 99p to £2.99. I receive an email from them each day with the latest offer.
    From November this will only be available for Audible members.
    koru
  • Peter999_2
    Options
    koru wrote: »
    From November this will only be available for Audible members.

Yes, I saw that in an email this morning, very sad. I checked my library and I've bought over a hundred deal of the days over the years.

I had a look round and found a discount code for 4 months at half price (£3.99) so I've gone for that. The code is 18WIN399F7 if you want to use it as well.
  • koru
    Options
    That's a good price for Audible, but I've only felt compelled to buy one deal-of-the-day book over the last 10 months, so I'm not that bothered if I lose the right to buy them.

I'm still working through all the audiobooks I get free from my library. Plus I've got about 70 books from Bookchoice over the last 10 months, which I have yet to work through. (Some I will probably never read as they aren't my thing. eg, the 'chicklit', but perhaps I should be more open-minded.)

I also noticed that Apple Books app offers some audiobooks free if they are out of copyright. Not yet sure how good the narrations are, but I'll give this a go eventually.

That should keep me going for 2-3 years. Then, my plan would be to try Scribd, if they are still offering 'unlimited' books for $9 pm. From what I understand, you can probably have a free choice of 4 books per month, before they start restricting your choice.

But it remains to be seen how much of their catalogue is licensed for reading in the UK. There will come a point where I eventually have to sign up to an Audible subcription, but I'm guessing it won't be for several years.
    koru
  • parmavioletuk
    Options
    Yes, I saw that in an email this morning, very sad. I checked my library and I've bought over a hundred deal of the days over the years.

I had a look round and found a discount code for 4 months at half price (£3.99) so I've gone for that. The code is 18WIN399F7 if you want to use it as well.

Thanks, that code worked for me :money:

Just in case anyone else is confused as to where to use the code, if you scroll down to the bottom of the audible page there should be a link for 'Redeem a Promotional Code'. It took me a while to find it :o
  • iscamaid
    iscamaid Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gutted this has stopped as I got some good offers from it.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 27 December 2018 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Hi Koru,

No, you don't need to be a subscriber to buy the deal of the day books. I stopped subscribing over a year ago and still buy them every few days.

You can get them to email you with the daily deal. I've now listened to loads of books that I wouldn't have chanced at full price.

https://audible-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6416

I see it says sign up for the daily deal on the desktop site.
    I don't think I have woken up my desktop for six months. Have smart phone and an iPad.
    I am a new Audible member (Christmas present from my wife)
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback