Spark Energy and Opos Limit problem

Comments

• Hi DRVN1

If you click on "public profile" you'll be taken to my profile, and from there you'll see my contact email address under the "about" section.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Affynity

Sorry to hear about this.

Can you pop an email to the address in my profile please? I'll need your full name, your MSE name, and if you can provide me with a copy of the letter you've received e.g. a photograph then I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards

Jenny
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Campbell123

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm more than happy to look into this for you. Please email the address in my public profile with your full name, your MSE name and your supply address.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • DRVN1
    DRVN1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have already sent an email to you via the 'customer experience' address, which was the only one accessible. No other email addresses or contacts on your profile are active.

I've not received a reply from you to that address so am wondering where we go from here?!
  • Hi DRVN1

Thanks for your post.

You sent your email at 10.05am and I responded from my personal inbox at 10.59am.

Although I'm really keen to help, there is usually a two working day response time for emails, although I'll do my very best to keep you updated more regularly than that wherever possible.

Hopefully my email will reach you soon and we can go from there.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • AndyMTB
    AndyMTB Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2018 at 7:09PM
    Astonished at just how bad Spark and Opos are! Just had my daughter in floods of tears on the phone, she lives 150 miles away and is 30 weeks pregnant, two weeks ago she was rushed into hospital with pregnancy complications - so you can imagine how concerned I was.
    She has had phone calls from OPOS chasing up a "debt" on behalf of Spark Energy supposedly incurred in 2016, culminating with an agent calling today describing how they can enter her current property and take away goods to satisfy the debt.

My daughter has never been a customer of Spark Energy, she left the property associated with the outstanding bill in mid-2015 and has full email evidence from the estate agents and landlord that everything was settled when she moved out - she even got her full deposit returned.

I have spoken to OPOS and they have agreed to put a hold on the situation, and claim that my daughter's emails have not yet been received - yeah, we all know how slow email is!!

It appears that these people do a minimum amount of checking and cross referencing, but believe in going in hard and fast. I suppose if you can scare 10% of victims to cough up, you could get a good return on your menaces. The victim might even believe that there really is an outstanding debt, if it's for an address that was relevant, but perhaps you can't quite remember the dates you left. In this instance, my daughter knows who her actual energy provider was and the exact dates that she resided there.

We await to see how this develops.
  • Hi AndyMTB

I am so sorry to hear about this. Rather than waiting to see how this develops, can I intervene? The last thing we want is for your daughter to be upset, especially in her current condition.

If it's possible, could you ask her to email the address given in my profile with any detail she can give, and if you're going to deal with the complaint for her can you also ask her to confirm she authorises you on the account?

I'd really like to help sort this out, and I can make sure OPOS stop contacting her.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • AndyMTB
    Hi Jenny.

My daughter is contacting you directly again.

Andy
  • AndyMTB wrote: »
    Astonished at just how bad Spark and Opos are! ....

Me too.

How can a supplier chase your daughter for money claimed she owes, when she claims she was never a customer of that supplier???

How did they get her name and address? I read on here that some suppliers just pick names & addresses out of the phonebook and send out random bills.

That's why I went ex-directory

In the meantime, I read on here that some people advocate reporting these scammers to Ofgem
    [EMAIL="consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk"]consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
  • AndyMTB
    Jenny at Spark has been in contact with my daughter and is sorting things out - thanks Jenny!

It looks like the letting agent (a major national chain with whom I intend to make contact) set up an account with Spark AFTER my daughter had already ended her tenancy and vacated the dwelling. To my mind, this constitutes fraud.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback