PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    FPK, the Big Event is Weds evening, so watch this space.
    It is not something we would have volunteered for, it's soooo not our thing, but our lovely friends are so excited about it. It was revealed last night that Mr Host's 25 y.o son will be presented with a bravery award at the 'do'. Which explains why they were buzzing when they invited us. He is such a proud parent, I gave him a massive hug!

HUH, I am trying to remove that image from my mind, thanks. When my dad was given 24 hours to live we were kind of waiting for his last words and he was rummaging in the bedsheets. My brother asked him if he was uncomfy (thinking catheter). Dad said, 'I am just rearranging my n*ts'.
    I am so glad they were not his final words!

Right, sunshine calls. Have applied anti mossie lotion and suncream so I should be safe to go out.
    Laters!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Hester, can you knit or sew ot anything like that? Being retired is a great time for starting to run a wee hobby business, selling on etsy or ebay etc. You could do that at night in the winter.
  • I do crochet Mar but I still get bored.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    mardatha wrote: »
    That's the kind of morning you hear the door snick gently behind you and realise you're locked out...
    Beautiful morning up here, heavy white frost on everything, snow frozen to concrete, brilliant blue sky and dead calm, Edinburgh airport reporting minus 9 earlier. I'm watching all the vapour trails in the clear sky and comparing them with FlightTracker lol that's how bored I am. It's the closest I'll ever get to a holiday :D

watching flightracker is great fun. I'm not far from Manchester airport and watch the flights coming in. I say coming in, but sometimes they take off/land the other direction. Last night I heard a hellava racket, and it was 'big plane' - the Emirates one that goes to Dubai, having just taken off, going over my house.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    There's one of them every day from Edinburgh too spirit -the Dreamliner (?) Goes to Qatar. I know the noise when it's incoming as comes over this village but still pretty high. Different tone of engine altogether isn't it :)
  • Afternoon all,

After an early start this morning I've decided I'm entitled to pack it in now. Feeling a bit feverish so planning to curl up with a book and a hot water bottle while OH sorts tea.

Monna--I can't do aspirin but a good friend put me onto the secret of Tunes throat sweets years ago. I keep a box in my desk. A constantly supply the hour before lecturing sorts most stuff out. Fortunately discipline isn't supposed to be within my remit at this age. I can do a lot with 'the face' but can't quite manage 'the voice' at the moment. I don't know how teachers manage it. OH just seems to soldier on.

MMF--I will indeed. There is something adorable about proud parents, isn't there?

HUH, I know what you mean about the evenings, but I go to bed at 9 which helps. I must confess I was quite excited by the return of Father Brown. Altogether more sedate (or in my OH's terms 'downright boring with terrible acting') but I enjoy it.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    New Father Brown AND new Death in Paradise. What more could you ask for when you just want to veg?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm glad someone else likes Father Brown, I agree It's terrible acting.

I don't like the long evenings on my own as DS has had his lunch up to 7 hours before he gets home he wants his tea immediately. We are often finished tea by 5 pm. I tend to watch catch up TV after DS has gone to bed and I sit knitting.
  • I read one of the GK Chesterton books about Father Brown's exploits over Christmas. One of the stories was quite good, but otherwise I think it was improved upon by the screen writers.

I tend to watch them on catch up during my lunch breaks on days I work from home. I'll do the first bit while I eat and then do a second 'installment' for an afternoon tea break. I think there are two types working from home, those who can't work for all the distractions and those who can't stop and I tend to be a 'can't stop' so I try to plan out breaks for myself. I was doing walks instead earlier this term, but the weather and this cold don't make that attractive at the moment.

I haven't watched Death in Paradise, may add that to the list. I've now made my way through all of the Marple dramas on ITV catch up, but they're quite long so I could get almost a week's worth of lunch breaks out of them seeing as some days I'm in work so eat lunch with colleagues while catching up on emails.
  • p.s. Courgette lasagna for tea..no cumin.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure