Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Hurley
    Hurley Posts: 1,501
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Got offered 100MB BB/weekend calls for £19p/m and also the same with anytime calls for £26p/m
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hurley wrote: »
    Got offered 100MB BB/weekend calls for £19p/m and also the same with anytime calls for £26p/m

That is a good deal. I've currently got 100Mbps broadband, weekend calls and line rental and Player TV for £20/month. Hoping to get something similar at the renewal.
  • Hurley
    Forumite
    Yeah I was happy with it. I have signed up with BT so they knew I was definitely leaving, so they said they will give me a call to beat the BT price and they did.

Just got to cancel BT now.
  • jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 570
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hurley wrote: »

Did you go with the £19 or £26 per month ?
    At the moment I have the free day and evening calls but I'm thinking I could manage with just the weekend and or evenings as I don't use the landline often it is mainly my mobile.

I think I will hold on and go down the BT route.
    Thank you.
  • Hurley
    Forumite
    Was going to go with the cheaper one as I hardly ever use the phone. He even remarked on it himself, saying there is barely any use.

In the end he offered the free tv package, along with anytime calls and 100mb BB for £27p/m, so I went with that as you can record/rewind etc.

But for £19p/m fibre BB with weekend calls, I highly doubt anyone will beat that.
  • Old deal - 50 mb - Talk weekends - no tv - 12 month ---- £36
    (was offered same deal for £28)
    New deal - 100mb - talk weekends more - tivo and 103 channels 12 months - £37

I thought i done well until i found this forum !! I What an epic fail !

Still have not signed contract so i am thinking to call back and say that i have been quoted by sky/bt to beat price ... should i give an exact amount or just be vague with it ?

What other tips do have for this novice haggler !?

Thanks in advance !!
  • Finally managed to speak to the loyalty team again and agreed the following (another £1 off)....

Full house TV/XL
    Upgrade to Vivid 200 (from 150)
    Talk Weekend
    Upgrade 2 x boxes to v6
    New superhub
    No install or activation fees

£45 a month.

So that's upgraded internet, and new upgraded equipment for about £25 a month less than we would have been paying after the price increase.

Am happy with that, but reckon I could have done better by calling their bluff again. However really don't want to move from virgin and cant be bothered with any more calls.
  • Hi all, I've just had a read of some of the more recent Virgin deals people have managed to get and am amazed. I tried getting some money off my VM bill earlier today and failed miserably. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm currently on a basic package - Player TV (70+ channels with Tivo box), 50Mbps broadband and Talk Weekends. I've been with Virgin for 7 years and have always had this kind of basic package (depending on what they had available). Back in May (this year) I was paying £38.48 per month, it then increased to £45.48 out of nowhere in July (pretty sure there was no notice) and after 1st November it will be £49.46. That's an increase of £11 per month in 6 months.

During the phone call today I went via the "thinking of leaving us" option and explained I wasn't happy with price increase and that this had been unreasonable over the last 6 months. I was told that the only thing they could do was double the broadband speed to 100Mbps (this was in the pipeline anyway) and knock off a whole £1.46 to make it £48 p/m.

I asked if that was the best they could do and she just said "yes" and then there was silence. I wasn't sure what else to do so I said I'd think about it and ended the call. Should I have asked to be put through to retentions...or was I already through to retentions?

The main problem is that I can't find another deal that's as good with any other fibre broadband providers so I can't threaten to leave with any conviction. BT, TalkTalk, EE, Sky etc. can't seem to provide anymore than 5-10Mbps in my area. If I wasn't used to 50Mbps (and speed tests show it's more like 56 so it works well) then that might be fine but I expect it will feel really slow and the speed is useful for when I work from home once or twice per week. My partner and I don't watch much TV (and when we do it's usually recorded or on demand) and never use the landline but we can't get much more basic on those anyway.

I'm guessing I'll just have to go with the £1.46 discount and extra speed (though we really don't need the extra speed). But it still feels like quite a bit of money and looking at some of the deals people have wangled on here it doesn't feel like I've done enough.

Sorry for the essay - any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :-)

• I asked if that was the best they could do and she just said "yes" and then there was silence. I wasn't sure what else to do so I said I'd think about it and ended the call. Should I have asked to be put through to retentions...or was I already through to retentions?

Yes you would have been through to inbound retentions who offer you diddly squat. To get the best deal you need to cancel your contract assuming your current contract has expired. You will then receive a call from the outbound team who will offer you a better deal.
  • staffsuk wrote: »
    Yes you would have been through to inbound retentions who offer you diddly squat. To get the best deal you need to cancel your contract assuming your current contract has expired. You will then receive a call from the outbound team who will offer you a better deal.

Thanks very much for your help. I noticed a lot of people had done this on the thread but am nervous about cancelling in case I don't get the call - could I "uncancel" if I didn't or do they *always* call? I'm guessing it will be more difficult to lower the price without a better deal as a benchmark?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback