PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Cash is king in this household, much simpler and more straight-forward from my pov.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    A quick tale of not being prepared..

Hubs sold our old car at the weekend.
    The new owner paid , they shook hands and he hopped in to back it out of the drive only to discover the battery was flat.
    It seems that manouvering a car out of and back into the drive for the last 3 or 4 months (to get other vehicles out and in)had not done anything to keep it charged .
    Hubs has a charger box which is very handy. Its about 5 by 4 and 1/2 an inch deep and plugs into the lighter socket.
    However...it helps if you know where it is.
    After a frantic 10 minutes or so, he found it hidden under some wood on the stairs (dont ask).
    Sighing with relief he took it out to the car and realised it was flat too, he hadnt seen it for months and the last time it was used was probably to get his bike started.
    Eventually DS, new owner and hubs pushed the car out so new owners wife (hooray for prepped ladies) could jump start it with her jumper cables.
    and the moral of that story is....make sure your preps are actually accessible and still useful for if and when...........

The other moral of your story is that, in order to charge up a car battery, the car needs to be running for at least 20 minutes. Anything less and you are, at best, maintaining the charge that is there or, at worst, draining the battery.

HTH

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 February 2019 at 5:18AM
    Options
    A recent flag up that those working for the emergency services apparently have been advised officially to store some water, tinned food AND the 5 litres in a can of fuel that is the maximum allowed to be stored ahead of the end of March! perhaps the idea of being prepped for things is finally NOT a lunatic fringe thing after all???

Has the law changed, i cant find any change?

hse.gov.uk

"How much petrol can I store on a vehicle? You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle."

"What if I only store a small amount of petrol?"

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol at home or at non-workplace premises without informing your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).
    You can store it in:
    • suitable portable metal or plastic containers
    • one demountable fuel tank
    • a combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept

Have the car with 30L on the road, not on the property, and 30L on the property.

"No more than 30 litres of petrol may be stored (within
    suitable containers) at a property and that limit includes any
    containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the
    driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle)."
    environmental-protection.org.uk

"How do I store petrol safely in my home or at my club or association?

If you are storing up to 275 litres of petrol at any of these premises then you should be aware of the common storage requirements for these amounts, which are as follows:"
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Slightly off topic, though noting the petrol limits with a lively eye - after all I don't usually take things to Costco to fill up (other than offspring) but you never know, is it prepping to explain to your child which numbers on his bank card are likely to be asked for in making a restaurant reservation?

There's more money in his account than mine, it's his party & I'm not invited (even as driver, currently!) and anyway He Needs To Know. Lifeskills & all that.

Meanwhile I have found the little lock & locks so other son can sort agreed stashes as soon as he has his new prescription through. I have also received my order of SOS talisman paper inserts so we can be fully got up to date. (All the lads' mobile phone numbers in one place, crikey!)

What is the general view on safety alarms (I think of the make an unexpected loud noise variety)? I'm being offered one from work & I think it's a freebie I only really want for the battery, preferring not to need to make a really loud noise in a city which does pretty well at it without my help. If it's a monitored one, then that's another discussion but I suspect they're issuing noisemakers to tick a box.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry got it wrong! I knew you could only store a amount of petrol in your garage and for some reason thought it was 5 litres! reassuring that it is 30 litres which seems so much more sensible and useful.

The news this lunchtime had an article talking to people about storing extras of the things they felt they wouldn't like to be short of and it sounds from what was said as though quite a lot of people have begun to put in just a bit extra each week as we get closer to the end of March, some have decided to fill freezers and some dry goods but the one thing that seemed to surface as a sensible option was good old Baked Beans long the butt of good natured ribbing about preppers. Maybe we aren't quite as daft as much of the world thinks we are???
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've seen a pic someone posted elsewhere, taken from a news article, of someone's car boot crammed with multitudinous trays of Morrison's baked beans. I just hope they left a few for other customers :eek:
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Have just been told should not plant kestrel spuds since crop hoped for in last Weeks of July "and that is exam season".

Blimey. Since have son out of school & another without serious exams, may well source chit & get 'em in Anyway on grounds complainant wouldn't recognise a spud from a cherry tree most months of the year.

As I understand it [being a digger rather than dictator], coax them into showing green but only get 'em in the ground After The Frosts are over? [I could all too easily be wrong here] One website says "the last week of April is the UK average" - does anyone have a better idea of spuds, shoots & global warming forecast this year?!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody else doing tomatoes? What kind?
    And has anybody in Scotland or at altitude grown those minature fruit trees - the ones that grow in patio pots?
  • We grow tomatoes in the greenhouse and we grow gardeners delight and sungold which are both 'cherry' tomatoes and give a prolific crop from July through to the end of October. We've never had a successful outdoor crop although we tried many times back in Hampshire and always lost them to blight. We'll try half a dozen of something like Moneymaker or Ailsa Craig which are old fashioned ordinary tomatoes here on the allotment as we may not be quite as subject to blight as it's cooler here.
  • happydays89
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Anybody else doing tomatoes? What kind?
    And has anybody in Scotland or at altitude grown those minature fruit trees - the ones that grow in patio pots?

We are planting a tomato called currant sweet pea they are a little bit bigger than a red currant, hanging basket cherry tomato,and Gigantomo.
    We live about 17 miles from Aberdeen.
    We are also waiting for tomato seeds called rainbow tomato’s each tomato is a different colour on the same plant,blue,bright green,purple etc.

Today we are are planting blue,purple and black strawberries.
    You can see them on eBay.

We already grow white strawberries and one that’s a cross with a raspberry can’t remember the name of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure