Changing a Flight

Options
We booked with Travel Republic last year for 5 to travel. Recently we've had one person drop out and wish to replace them with someone else. The Flights are with BA, but neither TR or BA are prepared to change the name on the flight - the only options they are giving us is to cancel the flight for the person who isn't going, and take a near £300 hit to book a new flight. Or cancel all the flights and get just £300 back (flights were over £1000). I cannot believe that, for a simple name change on an electronic ticket which hasn't been issued and the flight doesn't take place until July, they cannot change this over even if it involves a small admin fee. Anyone help please?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rickoza wrote: »
    I cannot believe that, for a simple name change on an electronic ticket which hasn't been issued and the flight doesn't take place until July, they cannot change this over even if it involves a small admin fee.

BA do not allow name changes...nothing you or the agent can do about that
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    BA do not allow name changes...nothing you or the agent can do about that
    Unless booked as a BA Holiday.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It sounds unreasonable doesn't it - just a "simple" name change - but think of it another way. If when flights are released and available at a low fare, if free/low cost name changes where possible then you would have people/businesses buying up large blocks of seats to resell at a higher price later on.

Have you looked to see what the cost is of just buying a new seat for the new person would cost? It might actually be more cost effective.

You certainly should not need to cancel and rebook the rest of the party.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    He who bails out loses the cash.
  • Heliflyguy
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    It sounds unreasonable doesn't it - just a "simple" name change - but think of it another way. If when flights are released and available at a low fare, if free/low cost name changes where possible then you would have people/businesses buying up large blocks of seats to resell at a higher price later on.

That theory may have been relevant many years ago but now the airlines have methods that spot fake bookings and names with ease.
    It would be obvious if a company or individual booked and issued
    a lot of tickets then went back and changed the names.

The "security" excuse for not allowing a name change isnt credible either.

Also off the top of my head Flybe and Norwegian allow name changes.
  • Rickoza
    Rickoza Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Ended up we had to cancel the ticket and purchase a new one, received no refund, and ended up with different seats quite far apart.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Ended up we had to cancel the ticket and purchase a new one, received no refund, and ended up with different seats quite far apart.

Why did you bother to cancel, unless you wanted to reclaim the taxes?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    did you claim for a refund of the taxes?
    if the person that pulled out was cancelling for a reason covered by their insurance they should place a claim. If not then they lose their money
  • Rickoza
    Rickoza Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I got the taxes back, but it frustrated me that for a simple name change they profited massively. I'm pretty sure it costs them next to nothing to make the changes. There were legitimate personal reasons for this change but they simply wouldn't entertain that. Just disappointing they were so inflexible.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Why did you bother to cancel, unless you wanted to reclaim the taxes?

The plane might have been full and the only way to get a seat may have been to cancel the one seat and rebook a new one.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure