PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Japanese Knotweed, the future...

Options
We're looking to buy a house and like many others we are affected by knotweed.

It was on a neighbouring property within 7 meters of our boundary (almost of our house).

The affected property had/has a treatment plan and has been certified knotweed free, but is subject to a 10 year treatment plan and monitoring. The neighbouring properties are protected by an insurance back guarantee. At the moment we are waiting for our vendor's to get the guarantee extending the property (which it should have been). However, this treatment plan is already 2 years into the 10 years of monitoring.

Our mortgage lender has insisted on this.

Our question is what happens in the future? My mortgage lender has specified a 10 year Insurance backed guarantee, but the treatment guarantee has only 8 years to run! What happens if we remortgage in 5 years, will we need a new 10 year one? What about in 10 years when the treatment plan finishes?

At the moment this lack of any idea about what this means in the future and for future resale of the house is what's putting us off. My solicitor tells me we would have to inform about it on the law society form, even 10,15,20 years after it's gone not to be seen again.

I can't find anything like this on the web, I think that maybe the Japanese knotweed situation with regards to mortgage lending hasn't matured enough for us to have answers to these questions.

Any advice?

I

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    It wont affect your future remortgages. They wont as for again its just as your buying. Or when you sell. How much of an impact historical knotweed would have I don't know.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We never had an issue remortgaging or selling.

How did they know it was there?
  • MoridinUK
    Options
    They know, because I will tell them?

My solicitor is quite insistent we will have to tell future buyers on the law society form, basically forever...
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MoridinUK wrote: »
    They know, because I will tell them?

My solicitor is quite insistent we will have to tell future buyers on the law society form, basically forever...

Only until the treatment plan and guarantee have expired. Unless there is a resurgence. The form is quite clear about current JKW and then the supplementary question about treatment plan and guarantee. If you can answer no there is no current JKW and no there is no treatment plan or guarantee then you don't need to add an addendum saying that x years ago there was and it was successfully treated and the guarantee expired in X.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hopefully it won't be an issue in the future...Leeds Uni and Aecom have done a mjor piece of research concluding JK is no more of a threat to buildings than, say, trees. https://www.aecom.com/uk/press-releases/ecologists-find-no-evidence-japanese-knotweed-causes-significant-structural-damage/

I know RICS is going to be considering its advice to mortgage lenders in light of this, and there is a strong feeling among many JK experts (though not necessarily those who profit from guarantees!) that it should not be any barrier to getting a mortgage. So fingers crossed!
  • MoridinUK
    Options
    Yes I saw the research out of Leeds, and also from Swansea where they have figured out how to actually kill it (it takes 3-5 years to be sure!)

I'm not so worried about the 'threat' to my property as to how other less well informed people may perceive it.

I see the form asks whether the property IS affected by Japanese Knotwood, rather than has it ever, but my solicitor still advises me that disclosure would be necessary to avoid any potential ramifications. This seems extreme, but even my lender's valuer (who has to make the call on whether the treatment and IBG are sufficient) doesn't know what we should do once the plan is over.

I do hope the world gets more sensible than this, but people are people, it would be useful if the mortgage issue does go away in light of research.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure