Cashless Society

Comments

• we're already well on our way. Automated tils (supermarkets/trains) etc not accepting cash is the first step (means they don't need to pay someone to put money in!)

I'm already pretty much cashless. Pay for everything with contactless or online.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    takman wrote: »
    So that's a reason why someone may want to use cash but also an example where getting rid of cash may reduce illegal activities. Thats probably the only justifiable reason for enforcing cashless, but then your chucking a lot of empoverished people under thebus

Surely only children only think finding money down the sofa or on pavements is exiting?. If i see money on the street i actually never pick it up, i just leave it for someone who would enjoy finding it. i would, ive been told im an adult child

It depends on how much cash you usually keep on you. Do you keep a thousand pounds at home?. About £2k, i dont count the coinage jars which should have a few hundred quid in each.

Having a second/third bank account means you can securely keep some cash (preferably earning interest) just in case you can't access your primary account for some reason. You could keep a thousand pounds at home in cash but it wont be very useful if you needed to pay a bill quickly if something went wrong with a primary bank account. It wouldnt, it would be incredibly useful if you where about to go for your weekly shop and you heard that 'VISA is down' or theres issues with TSB though.

Which is a negative of bank accounts but realistically you can't pay energy bills, car insurance etc in cash unless your happy to significantly overpay for it.

I disagree with "what you loose tends to come back" if you loose your wallet with £50 in it or more then your unlikely to find that again. Someones going to find it though, so theyll be £50 up, swing and roundabouts, if youre not going to pick stuff up you are probably going to lose that game overall

I personally think it's easier to pay with contactless than you give cash and check your change but neither method is particularity difficult or time consuming.

Your saying you can remember many mobile phone numbers but can't remember three 4 digit pins?. Its applying it to the cards thats the issue, i can remember all my pins, just not to each account. 3 guesses and the machine will eat your card
    But that again shows how secure card payments are. If someone got hold of your card nobody can spend any money without you being able to get it back. If someone got hold of your cash then it's gone without a trace. Cards arent secure in the slightest. Last year £618 million was the reported losses on UK issued cards due to fraud. A friend had his credit card cloned, they spent nearly ten thousand pound in a day. Unfortunately for him his a techy and they rinsed the apple store, it was 6 months before he got it sorted. Ok not to out of pocket but im bet hes thankful he didnt need credit in that time.

That comment was referring to the hidden cost of processing cash for businesses and i'm not suggesting you need a till to buy and sell items privately :rotfl:

The problem with using cash for private sales is you need to make sure you have enough. So you have to make a trip to a cash machine or a bank to withdraw cash with takes time.

Yes the reality is that currently removing cash completely would have a negative effect across the country.

I can't see cash being made obsolete for a very long time. But the culture of payments will continue to change and cash will continue to become less and less used and physical shops will eventually start rejecting it as a payment method.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this started in supermarkets. They already have scan as you shop terminals which don't accept cash payments. Plus cash is a massive headache for them to process because they have to have strict policies in place to make sure staff aren't stealing. They could also reduce the numbers of staff if they didn't accept cash.

Some people still say "cash is king" yet you can't buy things online in cash and you can't get the best deals on car insurance, energy bills etc by paying cash. It is certainly on the way out.

Cash is king when you need something for everything else theres mastercard.

Id imagine most people could easily go cashless. The issue is for the most vulnerable. Those who cant get multiple bank accounts, those who live hand to mouth, anyone with issues (As in money problems) with banks.

Cash is another option. I like having more options particularly if the limited options all have their own failings.
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I presume my local launderette will have to get new machines to allow card payments, charities like the local Rotary will have to get card readers for when they are collecting?

I have more than one bank account but I certainly don't have thousands in each so if my main bank goes down I'm still stuck if I want to pay for my petrol. Of course if I have cash in my purse I can use that...
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 July 2018 at 2:05PM
    takman wrote: »
    If you want to look at it from that point of view then you already are "surrendering" to the bank by having your wages paid into them and then using their system to withdraw it as cash. Some cash machines charge you to withdraw cash, there is a limit to how much you can withdraw each day, you need to pre-arrange to withdraw a large amount from a branch and if the bank freeze your account then you can't even withdraw any cash at all.

So as soon any money goes into the banks system it doesn't really matter if your spending on your card or withdrawing cash your still taking part in their system.

To truly be free from the banking system you need to be paid in cash and pay for everything in cash. But i bet 98%+ of people who use cash won't be paid in cash and only ever make cash payments.

What 'wages'? I'm freelance, so don't receive 'wages'.

I can't do anything about being paid via cheque or into my bank account, but I can certainly limit the amount of shopping and other financial transactions I do online, and use cash whenever I possibly can (I'm now doing the latter).

In fact, I am making a conscious effort to stay offline as much as possible, due to concerns about Internet security, planting of cookies on my machine, general snooping into people's private lives without their permission, and so on. I can do without the 'privilege' of shopping online, especially if it means the people I buy from then pass data about me to others, and give them the means to plant cookies on to my computer.:mad:

Others can do whatever they want, in the happy conviction that nothing bad will ever happen to them as a result of the power that's been passed to banks and corporations.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Someones going to find it though, so theyll be £50 up, swing and roundabouts, if youre not going to pick stuff up you are probably going to lose that game overall

Personally if you find £50 and keep it then i would consider that theft and i would hand it in to the police station. At least then you have done the right thing even if the chance of someone claiming it is very low.
    Its applying it to the cards thats the issue, i can remember all my pins, just not to each account. 3 guesses and the machine will eat your card

A good way to remember a pin is to come up with a 3 digit number, 482 for example. Then look at your three cards and lets say the last number is different for each card you simply add that digit to the end of 482 and that's the pin for that card. You can then remember the pin simply by looking at it.

Obviously you should use your own three numbers and it doesn't need to be the last digit on the card strip you use and you can add it to the front of the three digits instead or in the middle.
    But once you know the pattern it's easy to remember and no easier for anyone else to guess (unless they see you end two of your cards pins in which case you would have been pretty careless).
    Cards arent secure in the slightest. Last year £618 million was the reported losses on UK issued cards due to fraud. A friend had his credit card cloned, they spent nearly ten thousand pound in a day. Unfortunately for him his a techy and they rinsed the apple store, it was 6 months before he got it sorted. Ok not to out of pocket but im bet hes thankful he didnt need credit in that time.

Well cards are more secure than cash which can get stolen and there is nothing at all to stop it being used. You yourself have admitted to stealing cash from down sofas and from pavements but i bet you haven't ever stolen money from someones card.

Plus like you said you get it back from a card. Also another reason why you should have more than one credit card.
    Cash is king when you need something for everything else theres mastercard.

Id imagine most people could easily go cashless. The issue is for the most vulnerable. Those who cant get multiple bank accounts, those who live hand to mouth, anyone with issues (As in money problems) with banks.

Cash is another option. I like having more options particularly if the limited options all have their own failings.

But like i said cash isn't going to be going away anytime soon it should always be an option but the more done electronically the better.
    Sapphire wrote: »
    What 'wages'? I'm freelance, so don't receive 'wages'.

I can't do anything about being paid via cheque or into my bank account, but I can certainly limit the amount of shopping and other financial transactions I do online, and use cash whenever I possibly can (I'm now doing the latter).

In fact, I am making a conscious effort to stay offline as much as possible, due to concerns about Internet security, planting of cookies on my machine, general snooping into people's private lives without their permission, and so on. I can do without the 'privilege' of shopping online, especially if it means the people I buy from then pass data about me to others, and give them the means to plant cookies on to my computer.:mad:

Others can do whatever they want, in the happy conviction that nothing bad will ever happen to them as a result of the power that's been passed to banks and corporations.

The wages comment was a general thing not specifically aimed at you. But if you wanted you could refuse all payment methods and choose to receive cash only. But you obviously realise that would significantly reduce your income so see the benefit of offering to receive payments electronically.

The rest of your post makes you sound like a paranoid person!. You obviously don't understand what "cookies" are and by logging into this forum this very website has put one on your device :eek: .
    If you haven't already burned your computer after reading that sentence then you can actually set your browser to delete all cookies after each session, so if that's all your worried about then problem solved :D
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It will happen eventually, but not for many years. Card has overtaken cash payments now, and the divide will only get bigger each year. I went to Sweden where alot of places were card only, and locals just dont use cash even where they can. Even a hotdog in the street is paid for on card.

Since getting back im using card more, find it easier and less weight in your pocket carrying all that change. Only downside is some contactless payments dont show up as pending, so you can easily forget about them until they come out
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't think the trend is quite as marked as in Sweden.

I've just come back from Belgium where contactless was almost no existant .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bobblebob wrote: »
    It will happen eventually, but not for many years. Card has overtaken cash payments now, and the divide will only get bigger each year. I went to Sweden where alot of places were card only, and locals just dont use cash even where they can. Even a hotdog in the street is paid for on card.

Since getting back im using card more, find it easier and less weight in your pocket carrying all that change. Only downside is some contactless payments dont show up as pending, so you can easily forget about them until they come out

I spend several weeks each year in Sweden, mainly Stockholm where I have some very good friends. Over the years, I've noticed the use of cards becoming the norm, and sometimes, the only method of payment.

I needed to use the toilet in a small shopping mall a couple of weeks ago. Had to pay by card - 43p:eek:
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I don't think the trend is quite as marked as in Sweden.

I've just come back from Belgium where contactless was almost no existant .

Its slowly going that way tho. There are pubs now and a car parts shop near me that only accept card payments. Imagine saying that 5 years ago
  • Wellard_Mann
    Wellard_Mann Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Iceland is another country that seems to be well on its way to being cashless. I didn't take any currency with me and didn't withdraw any from an ATM whilst there - in fact the only ATM I saw was at the airport, though admittedly I wasn't looking elsewhere. I paid for everything on a card. The smallest transaction being 50p on a parking meter. I didn't notice anybody using cash anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure